“Great location!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Ocean Plaza Beach Resort

Save Saved
You added Ocean Plaza Beach Resort to your Saves list
Ocean Plaza Beach Resort
2.5 of 5 Resort   |   1401 Strand, (Oceanfront at 15th Street), Tybee Island, GA 31328   |
Ranked #5 of 8 hotels in Tybee Island
Gainesville, Georgia, United States
“Great location!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

We have been to Tybee many many times but this was our first time staying on the Island. We have seen the hotel so we knew there was a parking lot between it and the beach. We stayed in a top floor oceanview room. The room had a great view. After reading some of the reviews we knew to request an upper floor if we wanted an ocean view instead of the dunes. The staff was very friendly. Room was just average but clean. T.V was a nice flatscreen but not HD which really was not a problem since we spent very little time in our room. The bed was very comfortable. My only complaint would be the restaurant. The food for dinner was GREAT! I had the she crab soup. DELISH!!!! Our server was very accommodating but the atmosphere was terrible. There was another server at the table beside us who just kept arguing with the customer, she was constantly loud and complaining to the hostess about having to do so much, whatever that means because the place was not crowded. The food took a long time to arrive and the daiquiri that my husband ordered didn't have a bit of alcohol in it which was surprising considering the price. When he sent it back to the bar the bartender made a huge deal and our poor waitress had to put up a fight just to get them to add a shot of liquor. We decided to give it another chance and went back to the restaurant for the breakfast buffet because it was convenient. The staff was awesome this time but the food....just so so!!! I would recommend staying here because of the location, it is right by the pier and within walking distance of everything. We parked our car when we got there and didn't move it until we left. However, I would dine anywhere other than the onsite restaurant. If you have a vision of a resort...well this is not it. Just an average hotel with a great location and a nice staff. (minus the rude loudmouth waitress in the restaurant).

Room Tip: If you pay for oceanview, request a third or fourth floor.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

524 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

The ocean plaza beach resort on tybee island, GA was a nice enough hotel but not anywhere near a 4 or even 3 star hotel. #1. No breakfast at all. Every morning we had to run all over the island looking for breakfast before actually getting to tour the island. #2. The wi-fi was horrible. We stayed 3 days and never could connect to the Internet. #3. The television in the hotel room has never been updated. It's a box screen from the 90s. Definitely not in h.d. & the cable was bad to cut in and out the entire stay. #4. Unless you get on the 3rd floor or higher you couldn't see the ocean. We stayed on the 2nd floor and all we could see were the dunes that entirely blocked the view of the ocean. #5. The bathtub & shower was stained and dirty looking. On the bright side the staff was very friendly and the towels were very fluffy and absorbent!!

• Stayed June 2013
Charleston, Tennessee, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

This was our second stay at the Ocean Plaza. Last year we had a good stay and I forgot something in the room, when trying to retrieve it, I could never talk to anyone, no one would return my repeated phone calls. This year we decided to give them a second chance and we killed 3 roaches in our room. The front desk said this happens when it rains. They offered no satisfaction for the problem. We will not be staying here again. so much for secod chances..

Room Tip: Bring bug spray. Ocean view rooms are great views..
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

We got married on Tybee, and most of our guests as well as ourselves stayed here. The hotel, overall, was nice but nothing fancy. Being right on the beach was great and we sprung for the Oceanside room, which was worth it to me. We only ate breakfast at the restaurant, and the food was okay. Everyone who worked here was super friendly, and the rooms were clean.
One side note is that having so many different people staying here we noticed some inconsistencies in the rooms: some had flat screens, some didn't... That kind of thing. We also had some kids come in on our last night here and could hear them running up and down the halls.
Overall, our experience was good, and we'd stay here again. :-)

• Stayed May 2013
Stone Mountain, Georgia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

I am thrown off by the name "resort". I enjoyed my stay but there is nothing that indicates that you are staying at a resort. The room was very clean and comfortable. The staff was pleasant and security officers were there at night. The access to the beach was very convenient. There are two pools on the property but I spent my time at the beach and sight seeing in Savannah. There was a pool bar but I never saw it opened during my stay. The air conditioner unit was noisy but it wasn't a deal breaker. I will stay at this hotel when I return to Tybee Island.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

Well this is my second time to Tybee island and wanted to try a new location for a good price. Your right on the beach with a view or not. Unfortunately you have to pay more for the view. I didn't care cause I knew I could walk outside and the beach was there. The room was spacious and clean but I always bring my own supplies. Lol. Not a fan of the restaurants there. Rather drive downtown. I would definitely be back again.

• Stayed May 2013
Elberton, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

The staff was great and really nice, BUT the hotel was not NOT!! Outdated, like stepping back into the 70's. In our room the you could not walk barefoot on the carpet because if you did the bottom of your feet would turn black. The bathroom floor was icky to walk on, we had to place a towel in there to stand on. The Dolphin Reef resturant that is in the hotel was just as bad if not worse!! We had to wait an hour to get our food, and when we did it wasn't fit to eat. The fish smelled bad, was scared to eat it.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Ocean Plaza Beach Resort? Share your experiences!