“What a Surprise!!!” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dessert, Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Takeout
Scotch Plains, New Jersey
“What a Surprise!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

My husband and I drove down from Savannah on the day we were leaving to catch a plane home. We happened to grab a Tybee Island Guide while we went to the Lighthouse. On reading it we decided to stop at Marilyn's Monroe for their Bloody Mary Bar, which we enjoyed, but we were intrigued by the description of the Tybee Social Club. We are not far from NYC and this just grabbed our attention as being something different for a small beach town.
We arrived for the brunch and some very talented musicians, billed as a Bluegrass Band but I think they thru in some Bruce!!!! I ordered the fish sandwich and my husband the breakfast skillet, my side that I ordered was the sweet potato fries. I ordered the Red Hisbiscus Sangria, that was one of the best I've tasted. And my husband a beer that he was so pleased with and he said the price was great!
We went and sat out in the porch area to listen to the band, no pressure to leave and we were made to feel very at home. We're very fortunate to meet one of the band members named Eric and to listen to the owner Kurtis play a few songs, very talented!!!
My only complaint was we were given the check before we were even asked if we wanted anything else ( which we did! ) not a very warm server!!! Would have expected more from the place !!!
A really nice way to end our trip and Thank You Kurtis for letting my husband change in the Men's Room as we were heading back to the cold Northeast!! Whenever we come back we will surely see u all!!!

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Atlanta, GA
“Relaxing at Beach”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

A group of 4 went. We arrived at 4pm and kitchen was closed from 4-5 but we decided to have a drink and hang around because the atmosphere was great. The bloody mary was amazing and beer choices good. The food was pretty good, the best part is the atmosphere and variety of choices. Very limited parking.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Another place to visit on Tybee”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013 via mobile

I went here for a rehearsal dinner and the food was good. This is one of the better places to eat on Tybee. Cool space, very costal laid back vibe.

Visited October 2013
madison, georgia
“huge disappointment and a waitress who puts on airs.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

Ok atmosphere; not sure what theyre going for. Fish in tacos and the Catalan style white fish was perfectly cooked...and perfectly without flavor. No spice in tacos, plus the bacon on top was rubbery and greasy. Black beans lacked any spice or onion or garlic. Catalan style should be robust and full flavored with roasted red pepper flavor and depth. Umm, what happened to the almonds? Condescending waitress young enough to be my granddaughter tried too hard to come off as a foodie. Here are some tips: dont try to up sell my$7 glass of winefor a $12 glass that isn't the same variety. Don't crow approvingly (fake) when I give my order. It wasnt "perfect" or "wonderful," its just what I wanted...and I don't need your approval anyway. Graciously admit you brought the wrong side instead of staring at it and then whisking it away without apology. Qnd NEVER NEVER NEVER lecture me on my beer choice. Yes I know it was "a bit darker with a strong hop flavor." Thats why I ordered it.

• Visited October 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
beachamb, General Manager at Tybee Island Social Club, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Dear Madam,

I would like to take a moment of your time to address the issues highlighted in your review.

Atmosphere:
We like to consider ourselves a rock-and-roll beach bistro. The owners have created a restaurant with a light and airy feel to help put our guests at ease and allow them the opportunity to relax with friends, family, or even spend a little time alone at our bar.

Food:
The Romesco Fish is a recently revised dish featuring a piece of grilled whitefish lightly seasoned with salt and pepper served over a cauliflower puree and salsa Romesco. The Romesco sauce we use does have roasted peppers in. We use a variety of ingredients in our Romesco sauce because they actually use things other than Roasted Red Peppers in Catalan style cuisine. On top of the Romesco is fresh arugula tossed in EVOO with toasted almonds. It sounds like they may have been omitted from your dish and for that I apologize. We definitely could have brought some out to you had we been made aware of the error and also corrected the seasoning issue by putting a pair of salt & pepper shakers on the table.

The Fish Taco is a piece of grilled whitefish on a crispy corn tortilla with a Chorizo and Pear Puree, Bacon, and a touch of fresh cilantro. We don't add a lot of "spice" because the Chorizo in the puree already has chili powder, paprika, cumin, coriander, and cloves. Any additional spices would complicate this dish too much. We do not cook our bacon until its crispy unless requested. The bacon can be a little greasy but that's mostly because it's bacon. The reason people love bacon is because of the fat and by cooking bacon "crispy" you lose a lot of that.

Service:
This is the part I love most about your review because it sounds like my server pretty much did everything I train them to do (With the exception of the "side mistake" which I'm sure could have been an easy correction). My servers are trained to upsell wine and often they will suggest something different to a customer. Not everyone likes to drink the same wine all the time. We have a pretty extensive offering. An offering that many of our customers appreciate. Back when I waited tables I can't even remember how many times I got a customer to try something new only to have them say it was there new favorite wine. It sounds like she wasn't just trying to upsell, it seems like she really wanted you to try one of our newest wines.

Your server will say things like "perfect" or "wonderful" to reassure you of your decision. It's "Sales 101" ma'am. They will not lecture you but they may attempt to have an open discussion with you about your beer choice. Most of our customers don't mind these sort of discussion but maybe that's because not everyone knows as much about food & beverage as you do.

If you have any further concerns please feel free to give me a call at the restaurant. I can be reached everyday except Monday & Tuesday at (912)472-4044.

Best wishes,
Bryan Beacham
Tybee Island Social Club
GA
“The best meal on the island”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

Why oh why did we wait until the last day to visit? The best meal we had on the island, hands down. Fish was great and cocktails were fantastic. Mojito and Government Mule both hit the spot :) The atmosphere is very relaxing, they had really nice music playing - just loud enough for you to hear the music, but not too loud. The whole place is great. Outside seating area is very cool / cute. We will definitely come back when we are visiting Tybee next time. Only we won't wait until the last day.