“Wedding woes- I'd rather sleep in my car next time” 1 of 5 stars

Sunrise Motel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   905 Butler Ave, Tybee Island, GA 31328   |
Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in Tybee Island
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“Wedding woes- I'd rather sleep in my car next time”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

This hotel is honestly the most shady place I've stayed at in my entire life- and I've stayed at some major dives.

It all started when the innkeeper wouldn't tell me why his rates weren't on the Choice Hotels website (that's because he lost his franchise rights, and left the signs up anyway). He took us to our NONSMOKING room that reeked of smoke and was filthy. We finally got a 2nd floor room (we requested 1st floor) and settled in.

The AC didn't work, there was black mold all over the shower, the bed was covered in questionable white stains, and none of the electronics or lights worked. It was the night before my wedding and I was miserable.

The next morning I went to check out, and the owner (who sleeps in a room off the lobby) told me that if I don't eat more salads that I'm going to "catch the diabetes and die". He pulled out a ratty old paper to "prove" he was a nutritional expert. He then proceeded to scream at me and then wash his armpits in the sink near the breakfast nook (where there was no breakfast).

My husband was packing the car and spilled an iced tea, and was using a towel from the room to wipe up. The hotel owner ran into the parking lot WITH NO SHIRT ON and began screaming at my husband for "stealing the towels" and for not using them "for their proper and gentlemanly purpose".

The owner tried to charge us $50 for the towels we "stole" (they were all left in the room) which my credit card company reversed.

Honestly, I'd sleep in my car before staying here again. You've been warned

Room Tip: There are no good rooms here. To find a good room, pick any other hotel on the island.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
blythe
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2012

we checked in and manager charged my husbands card extra money that we didnt know he took off card til we called bank and when we called manager to get money refunded, he said husband put burn hole in bedspread in a smokin room. they were already there when we got in. had no right takin it out unauthorized. dont stay there. watch ur bank statement for fees he charge u for and didnt tell u until u call him and make up something to take it. we turned him in to investigators. only thing, no bugs. he took 35.00 from us and refuse to give back. run run run. we wont stay there ever again. worse hotel there. it smells bad and nothing is clean as it should be.

Room Tip: the room we were in was ok. was to the far right near fence. thats it.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
gainesville, ga
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2012

Getting in at 4 am didnt help, we tried finding other places, and sadly they were booked so we had no choice but to go here, the Rodeway, now called Sunrise motel, is the worst place Ive ever stayed in. The best I can say is that I didnt see bugs. They took a deposit of 10.00 for the key, which btw didnt work and we had to have the clerk let us in each time we came back in. The pool wasnt open yet, but it was so green you couldnt even see the bottom of it. The mirror was broken as you can see by the pic. They could have at least only charged us half price since we got in at 4 am but charged us a full night. We stayed only because they didnt have any place open. This is the weekend before St Patricks Day so they were full. The small frig they had was broken inside, although it did work. There was a small microwave and surprisingly they did have free wifi. The TV was older and you could either change it to black and white or live with watching it in pink..as the color wasnt working. The next day we had to wait until the owner returned (an hr after checkout) so that we could get our 10.00 deposit back as the clerk claimed he didnt know how to give back the deposit. When we complained about the place and him overcharging us, the owner claimed he charged less then anyone else around and insisted that he did everything to make his customers happy even going so far as to go get some 1994 dated paper to prove that he was a good person. Just run from this place and dont stay here if you value your safety and money.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Millington, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

This hotel would be a joke had it not been so god awful! We rented 4 rooms 2 were "suites" The owner is a liar and very shady. He quoted a price to me then when husband went to pay he jacked it up a 100 bucks. When i said something he said Ohh it taxes i said no your wrong knocked off 40 dollars. 3 of the rooms had no keys to them and he had to come unlock our doors for us every time we needed in. The rooms had either no locks or broken locks on the inside. Mold on shower curtains. Jacuzzi in room 103 did not work, possibly bc all jets were clogged with black mold! (shower only!!) gave 1 remote for 2 tvs in the suites. The ONLY reason we stayed was bc we were there for 2 days and desperate. When husband tried talking to him (the owner) about key situation he said "ohh its ok, we not steal anything" and wanted to argue about everything. even to the point of following our car and would not leave us alone when we said we were reporting the hotel.He kept standing in the way of the car. The day we checked out he said we stole remotes and towels just to retaliate and keep a 40 dollar fee. Oh let's not forget the fact that he was very rude to several of my family members and insulting. Told son in law he was too big and need to eat fruit and veggies. told everyone who smoked how bad and awful it was for them. I would NEVER stay again. I'm sure I'm leaving out other things but you get the point. as soon as I can post pics of the disgusting place I will.

Room Tip: Ask for another hotel's number!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Hopkinsville, Kentucky
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

This was one of the worst hotels I have EVER stayed at. No wonder they had rooms available. Not only did the shirtless man at the front desk embarass my husband by telling his not to eat meat he proceeded to show him a diet plan that he had published (a single sheet of paper). When Alan started to take it the man asked for .25 to pay for the cost of printing. Really, he insults him, tells him he needs to go on his diet plan that asks for a quarter. Should have ran out the door there at that point. The room was musty and hot and the room looked as though it had never been cleaned. After a terrible night's sleep I thought I might feel better with a dip in the pool. I went to the ladder to climb out and alas there were no rungs. I then went by the front desk to ask for towels as we had only 2 to begin with and I was told by the shirtless man that there were towels in our room when we arrived the day prior. I told him I still needed to get some "clean" towels for the day which he told me he would send some. Two hours later and after we used our beach towels to dry off after our showers we were finally leaving, in our vehicle, backing our of our parking space thinking we were glad this experience was over. The next thing we knew this man was running out to our vechicle and knocked on my husband's window. After rolling the window down the man began to tell us he was in housekeeping and people ALWAYS leave them tips. Really... I am thinkking... Alan trys to explain to the man that they did nothing for us.... no towels, no clean room... after the man kept on asking for money Alan finally pulled out a dollar so we could finally leave. A terrible experience... DO NOT STAY HERE.....

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
wadley, al
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2011

Well it goes like this.....it's late in the day, the kids have been promised they could go to the beach, we have stopped at every other hotel in town- everything is full, its like a 105+ or more with the heat index, everybodys hungry and I have a headache like somebody has hit me with a baseball bat. Ahhh alas, this hotel has empty rooms even when I am second in line at the counter.. great- I thought. hmmmm, the lobby smells weird.. Is it feet, curry spice, body odor, I am not sure the man at the counter is shirtless and shoeless and there is no air conditioning on in the lobby, he explains he lives simply, vegetarain, never been to the doctor doesnt take meds ect. He says hes 80 and looks pretty good for his age. so I shake it off and get a room. WOAH, the room smells BAD MUSTY, a/c is off, its hot, the room looks old and dingy and there is a really big black MOLDY spot on the ceiling near one of the beds. My kids start getting treary eyed and freaked out. I go back to the lobby and explain we cant stay in there and want to get our money back ...he wants to show us another room this one is upstairs,much "better and bigger" ....code for more money, yes we had to pay more money for this room!!!. It was some better- but no moldy ceiling at least but furniture is old and cheap- the a/c was off and it felt like about 150* in there. I thought I was going to pass out from the headache, heat in there or be sick. The window in the bedroom had a huge crack in it probably from someone else whose money was taken here, but at least it was double pane and on the outside. They kids had to sleep on an old pull out sofa. Turns out it this was a jacuzzi suite.. seriously? Well, the bathtub did have jets. NO WAY were going to turn them on. They were black with mold. Left as early as we could the next am and felt like a horrible parent for making my kids stay there- the trip to beach didnt make up for it in my eyes and nor my pocketbook!! Dont know if I will ever stay at another Rodeway Inn.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Attalla, Alabama
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2011

This motel is by far the WORST hotel i have ever stayed in!! And the price i payed was not worth it!! I asked for 2 beds, i get one bed and a pull out broken couch with no covers, pillows, or sheets! We stayed three days and never got our rooms cleaned. There is no maid working there! They dont even give you fresh towels daily! That is a MUST!! and every hotel/motel should know that! The TV was snowy and there were not remotes! This place needs new management or it needs to be SHUT DOWN. That is the truth.

Room Tip: unless you want bad service and quiality then dont stay here.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Been to Sunrise Motel? Share your experiences!