“Worth a visit” 3 of 5 stars

Type: Mountains, Outdoors
Hitchin, United Kingdom
“Worth a visit”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2014

We stayed at the Irente Farm which was very pleasant, on our first day we were met by a guide on the bus on the way to Lushoto from Moshi. We weren't sure if we should take our tour with him, or wait until we got to our accommodation and go with the 'Friends of Usambara'. We decided to give him a chance but unfortunately felt that this wasn't our best decision and in trying to see too much (the rainforest and the waterfall) we ended up seeing very little and having a very tiring day. I think it would be better to just do the rainforest in one day, but at the time we had no idea of distances, and our guide, who wanted to please us, told us there would be enough time. It was far too much for one day though and not really enjoyable. We however met a really nice local man by the Irente Viewpoint who showed us around the viewpoint and also to the Sunset viewpoint, which was lovely. His name was Joseph (chameleon) and we had really wished that we had taken our tour with him. He is a very kind young man and we enjoyed speaking with him so much. You should definitely catch up with Joseph if you're in the area and try and go on a guided tour with him (he has an eye for chameleons :-)) We were surprised how populated the mountains were and really enjoyed the short time that we spent alone in the forest. Be prepared for a mass of people when you get off the bus in Lushoto!

4 attraction reviews
“Exploring the Mountains with Friends of the Usambaras”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2014 via mobile

I chose friends of usambara society because they offer a one day hike of the Usamabara mountains for the excellent price of $35. Yassin was very responsive to my emails and sent Richard to pick me up when I arrived in Lushoto. I was then taken to the office and shown exactly where I would be going - the route I took went through Magamba rainforest and up to irente viewpoint. The hike itself was brilliant - going through all the villages in the mountains really opens your eyes to the lives of many Tanzanians, and Richard told me lots of information about the history of the mountains and the lifestyles of the people who live there. Within less than a minute of having entered the magamba rainforest, Richard spotted a black and white colobus monkey. Shortly after, he spotted a two horned chameleon which was hidden in the bushes! We saw many more chameleons and monkeys on the rest of the walk and I felt very lucky to have such a good guide and go be able to see so much wildlife. We stopped for a delicious lunch at irente farm and then carried on to irente viewpoint, which offers a spectacular view over the plains of tanzania. Richard was more than wiling to take photos of me and never rushed me, meaning I had to plenty of time to take in the amazing view. After the tour, Richard took me to the bus station to buy my ticket, and then came to meet me at 8am the following morning in order to escort me to the bus stop. Friends of Usambaras really are an amazing company who offer a brilliant day tour of the mountains for a great price! Highly recommended.

Visited October 2014
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Special hiking experience with "Friends of the Usambaras"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2014

My boyfriend and I had a wonderful experience hiking with our guide Yassin from "Friends of the Usambaras." Yassin was a great person to talk to about the history of the Usambaras, the history of Tanzania, etc. "Friends of the Usambaras" seems to have a positive relationship with communities in the area--during our walks, Yassin pointed out numerous places where they had planted trees. We went on two day hikes--one through a rainforest and to a waterfall and the other to Mungu Point near the market at Soni. The first day was more through rolling hills, by villages, farms, and schools, punctuated by a walk through a dense rainforest, culminating with a boulder-speckled river and waterfall. On the second day, we quickly visited the market at Soni and then climbed to nearby Mungu Point. Mungu Point was a difficult trek after hiking 25 kilometers on the previous day, but we made it up and the view was stunning. While hiking back down, everyone we passed was interested in hearing what we thought of Mungu Point, which was special. I should mention that at the end of the first day, we hiked to Irente View Point (stunning view), which was basically the only time during our two days of hiking that we encountered any other tourists. In a sense, it was nice to not be surrounded by tourists while hiking, but it's also unfortunate that the Usambaras is being so affected by a much reduced flow of tourism in the region. We were told that it was highly abnormal for the month of July to have so few tourists, so our experience may not have been illustrative for what others' experiences have been/will be in the future. We both wholeheartedly recommend hiking in the Usambaras and have definitively planned on coming back.

Visited July 2014
The Hague, The Netherlands
“Breathtaking tour through Usambara mountains”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2014 via mobile

Me, my brother and parents did the 4 days hiking through the Usambara mountains with Said. In one word the trip was breathtaking!

We did not completely knew what to expect, what would the scenery be like, the food, the accomodation, but it was to me the best we could get.

Said is a very nice guy and it was a pleasure to be guided by him. It was nice to talk to him during the walks, he explained a lot about the surroundings and the trees and plants and he was able to spot the chameleons from far away.
We walked through several villages, had amazing views in between, played with the many kids we met along and the food and accomodation were also very good. Some basic, but at a perfect and special location. And we were the only tourists, so that is nice!
The last day we went to a traditional Masai village, which was very interesting and a nice supplement to the trip.

I would recommend this trip to everyone who visits Tanzania!

Utrecht Province, The Netherlands
“Loved it!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2014

It was such a good choice to go and hike for three days with Friends of Usumbara. We had a unforgettable time (thanks to guide Isaa(c) who showed us the beautifull area of Usambara mountains and told us a lot). And...it wasn't expensive at all! Although we wouldn't mind paying a bit more; the organisations is investing in the community and nature of Usambara (eco-tourism) :)
And when you go for a trip: please go to Mambo and stay at Mambo-In! It was the highlight of our trip: looking out over the Masaai-Plains, drinking a beer and watch sunset. Breathtaking, no doubt about that. Also thanks again to the manager of Friends of Usambara: he was really helpfull, patient (we had tooooo many questions, haha) and friendly! Keep up the good works guys!!!!!! Greetings from Holland.