“Best oyster stew I have ever had in a restaurant!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 9 Restaurants in Townsend
Cuisines: Seafood
Burlington, NC
“Best oyster stew I have ever had in a restaurant!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013 via mobile

Years ago, I read a review of this little fish camp, put it on my list of things to do and finally found myself in the area today. Although its 5 or 6 miles or so off I 95, it was well worth the small detour.

The oyster stew was piping hot and rich, buttery, with a bit of pepper. When I was a kid my grandmother would fix oyster stew every Thanksgiving and this was the best I have had since then. I will go back and have 2 bowls my next trip.

The batter on the rest of the fried seafood was very light and airy. The shrimp, oysters, and scallops were all very good. The crab stew and deviled crab were both good but definitely a step behind the other items.

They have some other items on the menu they are known for that take probably 45 minutes to prepare and we didn't have time to experiment with any of those. It's an odd setup but they don't accept credit cards and you walk to the kitchen to pay your bill.

Our waitress went out of her way to make us first timers feel welcome and understand their quirkiness. Her name was Sandy so try to sit in her section.

The small kitchen is only capable of putting so much food out, so if you go when they are busy, plan on waiting ...no need to bust their chops ...they tell you right on the menu they would rather you come back another time vs get angry re the wait. We got there at opening bell and passed on the baked dishes that take longer.

Don't miss the oyster stew

Savannah, Georgia
“Best Fried Seafood there is!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

It is a 45 minutedrive from our house to Speeds but the food makes up for the drive. These ladies have mastered the art of greeseless fried seafood. They do not serve any alcholohlic beverages but are fine if you bring your own and will furnish wineglasses is you bring wine.
The Seafood platter is the best thing to me and I always oreder it. It starts with a cup of crab stew and cloeslaw. The platter itself has a huge piece of flounder covered by shrimp, oysters, scallops, hush puppies, southern fries piled high on the flounder fillet.
Don't expect a lavish well decorated restaurant like several others in the area such as the Bucanneer. This is a cement block kithchen with three double wides connected to it.
So head down to Shellman's Bluff marina but don't turn left. Turn right at the church onto Speeds Kitchen road and when the pavement stops, you know you are only 150 yards away from the best seafood you have ever had the p[leasure of putting in your mout!

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Orange City, Florida
“Very good seafood”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2012

This place has very good seafood at prices that are a bit less than other restaurants in the area. They do not advertise and have no signs until you are about two blocks away. It’s best to ask a local how to find it. Don’t be turned off when you find it: it’s a few double-wides coupled together. But inside it is clean and pleasantly decorated. It seems to have a cult-type following, but in a good way. We met people at nearby McIntosh Lake Campground who said they---and others---come down 3-4 weekends a year and eat only at Speed’s.

• Visited March 2012