“One of the most eclectic places in Georgia!” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Atlanta, Georgia
“One of the most eclectic places in Georgia!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

Not the easiest place to find, but worth the drive. The food is great, especially the hush puppies. There is do much to look at, plan on spending a bit of time here. Oh, and definitely try the cheesecake, it's divine. Chef will come out and say hi, be sure to get a picture!

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Decatur, Georgia
“Great food, abysmal service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

My dad read about this restaurant in a liberty county magazine and we decided to try it out for an early birthday dinner for my mom. We made reservations for 7:45, after arriving a bit early we made our way inside after dodging the stray cats in the parking lot. The lady who seated us was very short and unwelcoming, and when I told her about the reservation, she just shrugged and said "sit anywhere you like". We looked at the pricy menu and decided to split the wheelchair platter for three. The waitress promply asked what sides we would like. I in turn asked what sides they offered and after she listed a few, we each chose one. After choosing the dirty rice, sweet potatoe and cole slaw, our waitress took our menus and brought us some hush puppies a little afterwards. We waited about twenty minutes for our food....during which time we finished our drinks and had to wave down another waitress to give us refills. Then when our waitress brought out the yummy gigantic platter of food...she tells us to wait while she goes to get plates. Five minutes later she brings out plates, and also tells us that she will be back with our sides. We wait another five minutes while eating just the meats on the platter....which included (oysters, ribs, shrimp, some sort of fish, and crab cakes). Then she brings out the sides and places them on the table, she asks us if she can get us anything and while I am asking for water....she turns and walks a way. I am not sure if she did'nt hear me or just did not care. She did not return for the duration of our meal...which was really good. There were also several...(five) dirty tables surrounding us that did not get cleaned promptly after the guests left. The servers could use a lesson in team work and time management. When we flagged down our waitress for to-go boxes and a check, I noticed $6 dollars extra in charges on the bill. When I asked what they were for....the server responded " oh, those are for the sides". Confused I stated "I thought three sides were included". She explained that three sides come with the platter but if you choose something else such as the sweet potato and dirty rice its extra. I am not one to argue with servers, because I am one myself in atlanta. But it is common courtesy to tell guests before they order something if they are going to be charged extra. We were ignored completely the entire visit, in comparison to the table behind us who had a different server. The table to the rear of us was given a picture of tea, as well as their plates and condiments before hand, their food only took 10 minutes and they did not have to wait for sides. I notice these things but I ALSO want to say how good the food was....just awful service.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Worth the Drive from Savannah”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

We saw the sign for Old School Diner as we drove to our friend's house nearby. They told us about it so we looked it up online and I knew we had to go. My friend's think I am joking when I say this was one of the highlights of my trip.

This place begins to pull you in with the carpeted driveway. Yes-it has a carpeted driveway. We encountered Chef Jerome outside as we drove by at 4 PM to check it out. He offered to open early. We said we would be back because we were nearby.

We came back shortly after they opened at 5 PM. We were led through a maze of added on dining rooms to the main dining hall which reminded me of something out of the movie Roadhouse. It appears they have music here sometimes and I would love to be there for that.

The food was greasy and yummy. I think you could get things grilled, but that would defeat the purpose of this place.

I loved it and everyone else there seemed to love it. You MUST experience this for yourself.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Townsend, Georgia
“GREAT OLD SCHOOL DINER”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

going to the old school diner was my first time,and i really enjoy the food and great service of everyone.i had told my friends and family and we went back again.best seafood i ever eaten.and i will be coming back.price is good.as well as the food.

Visited November 2012
Texas
“Confused”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

We were headed to Savannah and could not find this restaurant on our phone google maps or our rental car GPS could not find it either?? It got us to a point then went nowhere so we called the number and we believe it was the owner he said was not in that location on Wednesday? There is another Old School Diner in Darien with the same exact picture on the front of Trip Advisor? So either the restaurant we never found was closed or we are not sure what happened. We were very disappointed.

Visited March 2013