“This is where locals east fresh seafood.” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #14 of 96 Restaurants in Tifton
Cuisines: Seafood
U.S.
“This is where locals east fresh seafood.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

I live in Tifton and this is where locals eat fresh seafood. Atmosphere is basically 'nothing' and you eat on styrofoam plates with plastic utensils. But, I go there to eat good, fresh seafood. Fried shrimp it a world-beater. It gets very crowded on Friday and Saturday nights. Easy to find on U. S. 82, within sight of the Ford Dealership; about 0.5 miles east from intersection of I-75.

• Visited February 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Twin Cities, MN
“Good thing I wasn't there for the view”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

On her way down to Florida, my sister-in-law had eaten at Charles' Seafoods and said it was an interesting bit of local flavor, so I decided to try it for myself when I stopped in Tifton on my way north. If I was looking for local color, I wasn't disappointed. Unfortunately, I was also looking for great food, and in that regard, Charles' fell a little short. No doubt it is a local institution. It was clear that most diners knew each other and the staff as well. Despite that, I didn't feel unwelcome. Other reviewers have commented that the staff was unfriendly; I think they were just quite busy.

My sister-in-law prepared me for the "ambiance": rough paneling, ugly wallpaper (think your Grandma's basement circa 1957), paper plates and plastic forks. Expectations met. Sometimes that sort of decor goes with a hidden gem and the it becomes charming in the glow of great food. No glow here: the food was plentiful but average. I ordered the Captain's Platter: shrimp, scallops and grouper and had them grilled not fried. Not bad but not great. The sides I chose--cole slaw and cheese grits--were also just ok, as were the hush puppies. The prices are reasonable, so I understand why it's crowded, but with a little effort, it could be so much better.

The final bit of ambiance was my view of the large garbage can that sits in the middle of the room. Ok, in a restaurant that uses only disposable plates and cutlery, there's no need to bus dishes, but really?!

• Visited February 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Valdosta, GA
“Great local place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013

If you like finding local places to eat and you like seafood then you need to try Charles. This is truly one of those "hole in the walls" that always has consistently great food. I found this place several years ago and it hasn't changed in the 10 years since I've known it.

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Cartersville, GA
“Great Fried Seafood”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

Great Seafood. The fried softshelled crabs and froglegs were great. I'll be back next time I'm in Tifton. The service was good and prices very reasonable.

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Tifton, Georgia
“If you are not a local, stay away from this place!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

I was looking forward to trying Charles Seafood because it always seemed so packed. I tried it three different times and all three experiences have finally caused me to say that I will no longer be giving Charles Seafood my time or business. I gave this place several chances thinking that I may have caught them on an off day or something, but unfortunately, that is not the case. The food is good, but the employees are a problem.
My family came in town I took them for dinner there. We were greeted by two unfriendly hostesses that didn't crack a smile and kept staring at us. Of course we knew we were not locals but goodness, could they make it anymore awkward? When we sat down, we got a waitress who had a sarcastic undertone the entire time and was quite rude to my 70 year old father as she continued on with a smile on her face. Given our party of four, our manners, and all of the food we continued to order, she should have been on her best behavior.
I called in a to go order another time and when I went to pick it up, the same rude hostess told be I had to go to the end of the 10 person line to pay. When I finally paid the lady at the register said that I didn't have to wait in that line and that to go orders are always off to the side. By the time I got a chance to sit down and eat, my food was cold and gross.
I also walk in there with my husband and three hostesses are up front, stare at us, and rudely say "How many?". We sat down, waited 10 minutes for a waitress because she is so backed up from being given another table every time she turns around, and give her our order. She was cold but eventually got the job done.
The food is good but it is not worth the horrible service and the discomfort these people make you feel with their rude looks, attitudes, snide comments, etc... If your not a local, they clearly do their best to make it an awkward experience. This place has been, by far the worst service I have experienced anywhere since I have been down here, and it is a shame because the food is good. Too bad the people who work there are not...Me or my family's money and recommendations will no longer be a part of this place.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Been to Charles Seafood? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Charles Seafood, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.