“Enjoyed the weekend break” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Falcons Nest at The Raptor Foundation

Falcons Nest at The Raptor Foundation
You added Falcons Nest at The Raptor Foundation to your Saves list
Falcons Nest at The Raptor Foundation
3.0 of 5 Condominium   |   The Heath, St Ives Road, Woodhurst PE28 3BT, England   |
Wakefield, United Kingdom
“Enjoyed the weekend break”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

We stayed at the Falcons Nest as part of a photographic weekend which included a photographic workshop at Hammerton Zoo. On arrival at the Center we were shown to our rooms (mine was No 6) an I was pleasantly surprised at the spacious accommodation. The room was clean, tidy and bright with a large on-suite bathroom. The kitchen area was pretty sparsely equipped with equipment but more than satisfactory for a long weekend stay.

Being a guest at the Falcons Nest gave us free access to the bird sanctuary which once again gave us plenty of photograph opportunities especially with the flying displays. I have to admit I was not disappointed with the accommodation or the center and would have no hesitation in returning.

Slightly off topic, the Falcons Nest is relatively close to Cambridge and with Park and Ride approximately 10 minutes away (by car) and possibly 30 minutes away from Ely it makes a pretty good base to work from.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Norwich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

Excellent room with kitchen ideal for family.
We stayed on route to a bike event and ordered a chinese and collected from a village warbuoys 4miles away and was very nice but the menus in the room are very out of date as it was a lot more expensive once collected
We were in number 2 which seems to have the massive boiler for whole block which unfortunately kept us awake all night :/

• Stayed February 2014
Stockport, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014 via mobile

My daughter organised the meerkat experience for my christmas present so we decided to make it a family trip with an overnight stay on site (the meerkat & reptile experiences are not part of the foundation, they just share the site). The accomodation was clean and would be easy enough to self cater though we chose to go into St Ives for dinner and breakfast. Could do with a better bed but what can you expect for £40 a room. Admission to see the raptors is free when staying. Lots of different birds to see, the laughing kookaburra's are hilarious. The more you laugh the more they do. The kids loved them. The only negative was the attitude of the girl doing the flying display. It didnt start on time so our 3 year old was already impatient. It had been raining steadily all day so the benches were wet though but she expected us to sit on them, after a cursory scrape with a squeegee, and be quiet otherwise 'her owl would end up in a field'. She was rude and actually shouted at my 3 year old foster child for moving. I took the children away and spoke to a colleague of the girl advising that if they expect people to be silent and not move while the display is taking place then they should suggest that young children should not attend. The girl did come over to us later to 'explain' but she was equally as rude. I suggested that she consider who contributes to keeping the centre open.
That said the place is definately worth a visit and every other member of staff we encountered was really polite

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Crawley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

Really cute looking terraced cottage (We had no.4). pine double bed (bit lumpy tho) and the sofa bed was made up too... lovely cotton sheets and all in all very clean...Very big bathroom with cubicle shower. Kitchenette with microwave and toaster and kettle and enough crockery. We took our own breakfast (tub of milk was already supplied in the fridge along with tea/coffee/hot chocolate and sugar). As it was a long way from any food outlets we took our own snacks etc. TV worked well too. Lovely fluffy white towels with complimentary tubes of shower/shampoo which is a nice touch... Really good value for £40 a night and it included free entry into the birds and display. £3 extra to go into see the meerkat and reptiles which is worth it... The meerkats were really cute (be prepared for a "smelly entrance", apparently these are the most tamest family of meerkats in the Uk. you can go inside the pen with them...Huge snakes too along with spiders are in tanks.

The birds are fantastic and the displays are certainly very educational.. It was nice to see young volunteers willing to explain the birds to you enthusiastically and those doing the displays were really knowledgeable. Definately would like to go back again and will recommend it to friends and family... So much better than a Travel Lodge!

Room Tip: We had room 4 which was great.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

I stay at lots of different places across the UK as part of my job, and often stay at different hotels for the variety. However, whenever I work in Cambridge I always stay at Falcon's Nest because it's superb value for money, you get a great night's sleep and the facilities are spot on. It's like a hotel where you self cater, and after a long drive you couldn't ask for more! Being able to cook for myself and relax in a warm, comfortable room is fantastic. Wonderful friendly staff as well!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013 via mobile

Nice cheap accommodation when you are away with the family. You get free access to the bird sanctuary included as well. All for £45 a night with the four of us. Excellent value considering the size of the room. Two big beds to use. Good size toilet, and a kitchen area with fridge microwave and toaster. I would definetely use this place again

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Chorley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

as usual had a nice peaceful stay whilst away on business. Only problem I had was that when I arrived at 4.50pm reception locked up and took 4 phone calls to find out my room. That was 10 minutes stood outside in the cold. when did get through no apology etc even though I had left a message on my 3rd call.
Anyway once in I found the room as good as usual. I go for the more expensive ones as I agree the normal rooms have paper thin walls.
Could not have breakfast as you have to order the night before and as nobody about and on call was not asked I could not book it.
Room I had very large and all I could need.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Been to Falcons Nest at The Raptor Foundation? Share your experiences!