“A Delight in Southwest Georgia” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 23 Restaurants in Sylvester
Cuisines: Hamburgers, Seafood, Steakhouse
Leesburg, Georgia
“A Delight in Southwest Georgia”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014

My wife and I plus another couple met at Betty Jo's for lunch so we could discuss our upcoming vacation together scheduled for later in the month. We chose Sylvester since it is about the same distant from home for both of us. I was a little timid concerning a good restaurant in the small town of Sylvester but my fears were quickly allayed when we step into this smart boutique restaurant in southwest Georgia.

The furnishings for the restaurant were tastefully appointed and we found our friends seated at a nice table. The waitress gave us all menus, explained the daily specials and took our drink orders. The service people were attentive but not bothersome. The lunch menu was not lengthy which usually leads me to believe that the entrees would all be good.

My wife and my friend each had a blue plate special .... one with a hamburger steak and the other fried chicken, both with two vegetable sides. My friends wife and I chose the the hamburger with homemade onion rings. All of our meals were cooked correctly and not overdone. The meat was juicy and the vegetables soft but not limp. The onion ring batter was crisp and not heavy. One more thing ..... the blue plate specials actually come out on a blue plate.

Finding the place is not hard since it is on the main drag (route 82) through town at a corner with a stop light. Parking is available off of the main street or on the cross street. However, as this place becomes more popular, parking may become more of an issue.

We will certainly return again and maybe for dinner next time.

• Visited August 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Georgia
“New restaurant with a nostalgic charm”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014

We traveled to Sylvester to try a new restaurant on Highway 82/Franklin Street. The building is one that has been on the side of the highway for many years, but the inside and outside have been remodeled/renovated and it looks great on the inside. It does remind one of a roadhouse where weary travelers might take a moment to rest and refuel. However, do not think that this is a dingy, uninviting place. It has a rustic, homey feel in the menus and decor. You can sit at a traditional table and chairs, a table with wooden benches, or you can even sit at the bar.

We came in rather late on a Saturday evening in the final hour of when they served dinner, but we were given full service even as the dining area slowly began to clear. The dinner menu is one sheet with a mixture of salads, burgers, fish, and chicken. I liked the simplicity of sticking to several dishes that an establishment can do well with rather than a menu that is four or five pages. In addition to the established menu, there is a featured options board and on our visit, there were two steak options, t-bone or rib-eye, quail, and shrimp. According to the server, the specials change to reflect seasonal availability and popularity.

We tried the catfish, burger, and the night's steak special, choosing the rib-eye. The catfish were delicious! The breading was light and the consistency of the catfish was firm and not greasy. The burger was huge and filling. The steaks were awesome and mine was perfectly medium rare. The steak was topped with a fried egg and the sides I chose were a garden salad and cheddar mashed potatoes. They make all their dressings in house and the ranch and bleu cheese were tangy and fresh.

I was very impressed with our meal and would like to come back and try some additional options. The dinner crowd was big and I can see why.

• Visited August 2014