“Rustic & Romantic” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Flat Creek Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Swainsboro
367 Bishop Chapel Church Road, Swainsboro, GA 30401   |
Charleston, South Carolina
“Rustic & Romantic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

We discovered this romantic rustic get-away through Groupon. This is place is not for everyone, if you require cell phone service, Wi-Fi, or a TV constantly in your face this place might not be for you.
However, if you are looking for a relaxed place to “unplug” from the world this is it! If you are looking for a place to unwind rejuvenate and chillax, this is it!
****The service at this place was out of this world! ****Currie, Chef Joey, John, Lois and Steve made our visit truly delightful! Jamie our server was wonderful. She was very personable and made our stay very accommodating and special to us! Thank you guys!!
We arrived late afternoon on a Friday in August and were very pleased to find that our room was very clean and the A/C had been switched on ahead of time so the room was nice and cool. The rooms in the lodge are very cozy and we loved the layout. Steve helped us with our luggage and we settled into our room.
Friday evening we had dinner in the dining room and the food was fantastic. I have special dietary needs and the Chef not only accommodated my request but far surpassed my expectations. Unbeknownst to me, Flat Creek grows oyster mushrooms on the property….these little guys changed my life! The culinary experience was outta sight! As we returned to our room with a full tummy and a smile, we slipped into a cozy bed and peacefully fell into a deep slumber.
Saturday morning we arose to find coffee waiting for us on our back porch. Venturing back over to the dining hall for breakfast I discovered the best grits I have ever had in my LIFE. I am a southern girl so I have had many a grit in my life and none of them prepared me for these. WOW! Paige my dear, you killed it! (in a good way of course!) Keep up the good work guys. We are looking forward to our next visit!
Summer and Herman

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
CathyFCL, General Manager at Flat Creek Lodge, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Hi there! Thanks so much for your wonderful review. We love to make our guests happy at the Lodge, and I am so glad that our staff gave you that experience! I will give your best to Curry, Chef Joey and the rest of the gang… and so glad that the grits were able to 'wow' a southern girl!

Many thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. We hope to see you again soon.

85 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Thomaston, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

My husband and I had a wonderful time. The greatest aspect was the service in all areas - the restaurant, the welcome staff, the dairy, the cheesemaker (and wife!),. the mushroom grower- all were wonderful to spend time with us, answer questions and were available for any help we needed. We appreciated the learning experience, the freedom to roam and ride our bikes and the great food. We will be back!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
CathyFCL, General Manager at Flat Creek Lodge, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Hi there! I am so glad that you and your husband had a good stay with us! We really appreciate your kind words, as we strive to make our guests feel comfortable. We look forward to seeing y'all again soon.

Lexington, SC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

We just returned from a weekend at Flat Creek. We have stayed before but the past weekend was our best experience ever! While all the staff are awesome, I must say Curry Nicolini, the hospitality manager and Joey Williams, the chef, went above and beyond for us all weekend. They are both gems at the lodge. We have referred many guests and will continue to do so. The customer service makes this getaway stand above many other places. Well worth our 3 hour drive.

Room Tip: All the rooms are animal themed so pick your favorite!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Hi!

Thanks so much for your kind note. I will be sure to give Curry and Chef Joey your compliments. Spreading the word about Flat Creek is the greatest compliment of all, and we appreciate you doing so. We look forward to seeing you again soon and hope you have a wonderful holiday season!

Best,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

We had to go to a wedding in Swainsboro and were referred here. It was fantastic. Fishing off the back deck, worms, poles, and tackle provided even though we brought our own poles. We stayed in one of the 2 bedroom cottages and had a blast.

Wish we had more time to explore the resort. Will definitely return when we have more time to relax and unwind.

Limited cell service but that just made it even better.

Staff was very friendly and helpful. Whatever we needed they tried to provide.

Thank you to the whole staff for making this a wonderful time.

• Stayed November 2012
CathyFCL, General Manager at Flat Creek Lodge, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Hi! Just wanted to reach out to you to thank you so much for your kind review. We are so pleased that you were able to enjoy your stay with us while in town for a wedding. Great photos that you've uploaded as well! We hope to see y'all down here again!

Ocala, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

We bought the groupon deal for a 2 night stay including breakfasts, a cheese and wine reception, and $20 dining credit. The advertisement said they had a working dairy and that you could take tours-when we arrived we were informed that "we don't do the tours anymore." I was pretty upset because that was a big reason we picked this place. (Food for me, shooting for him) However things worked out because we went ahead and asked the dairy manager. More on this later.
We booked in late August right after school had begun in most places. We arrived on a Wednesday and for 24 hours it was us and one other couple as guests at the lodge. It was serenly quiet. We loved the coffee on the porch in the morning-it was a nice surprise since we weren't informed of it. We did rent the golf carts, although $25 a day seemed really steep. We had fun zooming down the paths, and breathing in the nice, fresh air. We took a trip up to the dairy and loved meeting the people who worked there. They said we could come back on Friday and see how the cheese was made. We LOVED Ryan-and really had a good time chatting and checking out the different cheeses and machines that make them.
Our disappointments included the price for shooting and the feeling that 'charges' were lurking everywhere. We fished for free in the catfish pond-and that was fun, but we worried how much it would cost us if we actually caught a fish! (cleaning, cooking, storage) While my husband brought his own gun, shells, and clays-we were informed it would be the same price whether we used theirs or ours ($60 for 25 shots!) I'm sorry, but I'm not sure what kind of person would pay this kind of price. It was after that that we noticed there was no price on the menu for lunch-and wondered how much we would be charged. At that point we decided it would be safer to eat dinner in town-and found Crossroads Cafe (for which I have another review) it was wonderful and reasonably priced.
On the upside, we had alot of freedom-the spa was free to use as we wished. There wasn't any restrictions on changing channels in the lodge as some other reviewers stated-and we had the place to ourselves to eat a picnic lunch we had packed, play pool and watch TV. We had free run of the beach. (it was kind of slimy and murky, so we didn't go in) We got tours of some of the larger cottages-each with a different animal theme.
We don't like the feeling that we "can't do this, and can't do that" when we are guests at a place. We didn't get that feeling very much here. We also had no idea if we could go across the street into the area over there and would have liked very much to see the striped bass pond-we never got around to asking about it.
Overall we had fun, and enjoyed the employees a great deal. Guess we just want all costs and expectations to be up-front. Don't advertise things you aren't offering anymore

Room Tip: Be aware that all of the rooms have taxidermy animals in them. Real, animals. So, if the thought...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
CathyFCL, General Manager at Flat Creek Lodge, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Hello! Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts about your stay at the Lodge! So glad that you were able to connect with Ryan at the dairy and I will certainly pass along your greetings to Ryan.

While we have many complimentary areas and activities for our guests to enjoy, there are also many specialized activities for which there is an additional cost associated. We attempt to provide pricing that is as reasonable as our business allows.

Our staff aims to ensure that our guests are able to feel comfortable, and we are glad that you felt at home during your stay.

Looks like you got some great photos of the lodge that you posted as well! Thanks again for your time!

Cathy McDaniels
Kathleen, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

Let's start with the Best and the Better! The Lodge is lovely. While the rooms are rustic (what would you expect from a hunting/fishing lodge?) they are decorated nicely and are very comfortable . . .and very clean! My only "ok" would be that you can hear your neighbors quite a bit through the walls. The staff was quite attentive and available. We were not looking for a place to be busy and "do", we wanted a place to relax and we got it! Since we weren't there on a Saturday for the wine and cheese tasting, they brought us a lovely tray with 2 types of cheese and a bottle of wine . . . and we enjoyed it on the lovely porch overlooking the lake.

The trails are clearly marked, and yes, the bikes may need a bit of maintenance, we managed. If you really want to ride them, consider bringing your own bike. The beach was deserted. We enjoyed an afternoon of quiet and read and slept. None of the bars were open, but then there weren't that many people there, so it probably wasn't justified in opening it. We tried to visit the bathhouse, only to find it locked. Another review explains this. I didn't know that the Lodge didn't have access and this could be disappointing. We did find the spa to be quiet clean and enjoyed the hot tubs.

The "OK" we weren't quite sure what was available. We didn't get a map of the facility until late the first evening when someone saw us with a confused look. It would have been nice to know a bit more about what was around . . . could we go to the other side of the road? I still don't know. $25/day for a golf cart seems a bit high, but I guess you have to cover your costs.

The "OK" I hate to say it, but the restaurant was just 'OK' . The waitstaff and and chef were extremely attentive and nice, but I don't know that I would recommend it for the price versus quality. I had no idea the desserts were $11 until we checked out. The "ice cream" that was served on the first night really tasted more like frozen whipped topping. Neither my husband nor I require huge amounts of food, so the quantity was good. The grilled Romaine Ceasar was quite good, though it seemed a bit gritty. We debated about eating there a second night, and decided we really didn't want to leave the property again, so we gave it another try. I had the grilled romaine again, it was gritty. The food was good, just not quite worth the price . . especially dessert!

Other "oks" that are probably easily fixed: the coke machine didn't work. We wanted to get some bottled water to have when we drove down to the beach, couldn't do that. We utilized the game room several times, there is a note to not change the channel, so we were stuck listening to a sports channel we don't enjoy and no one was there to change it. While we understood you could fish in the catfish pond, it wasn't clear where we were to get poles, etc.,

Will we return? Well, the Groupon made it an affordable time away; however, I'm not sure I would spend the full price, not would I necessarily return to the restaurant.

So, I believe in "oreo cookie" criticisms! I started with the best and the better, then came the "ok" and now I'll end with the best and the better! If you're not a hunter/fisherman and you just want a quiet, technology free time away, this is the place. It was relaxing, quiet and pleasant. (I can't speak for hunter/fisherman!)

Hi there!

Thanks very much for taking the time to share your thoughts on the Lodge. So glad that you found the rooms comfortable and clean! It sounds like you were able to have a bit of peace and quiet during your stay!

I apologize for the disappointment about not being able to use the Bathhouse. We have since updated our website to reflect the policy.

During the time of your check-in, the usual front desk staff, who briefs our guests on things to do at the lodge (including a map, etc.), was not available. It is helpful for us to know your experience, so we may ensure that we properly train those who may fill in for the front desk staff to be as knowledgeable and helpful as possible. We have also added pricing to our dessert menu to better inform guests.

Thanks again for your review! Cheers and happy travels!

Best,
Cathy McDaniels
Swainsboro, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

I just wanted to stop by and thank you guys for making my birthday an awesome one! The food was AMAZING! The best shrimp and grits I have ever eaten, by far. My husbands steak was PERFECT, and everyone else in the party felt the same way! Coming from a party of 15, that is pretty remarkable! We will be back, and soon!

We have stayed at the lodge several times, once for our anniversary, and once for my birthday. We brought 15 friends along with us for the birthday blow out. Not once were we given a reason to complain. NOT ONCE.

I personally believe that getting away from modern technology for a while is a blessing. Time spent on meaningful conversation, breath taking beauty, and the amenities (such as saunas, hot tubs, golf cart rides, massages, and swimming in the bath house) are opportunities that cannot be equaled.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
CathyFCL, General Manager at Flat Creek Lodge, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
Hello!

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts about the Lodge. We are so honored to have been such a big part of your special celebrations and that you chose us for your birthday and anniversary spot to celebrate! I will give your complements to the chef on the shrimp and grits. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Flat Creek Lodge

Been to Flat Creek Lodge? Share your experiences!