“Nothing but the Best” 5 of 5 stars

01789 269 883
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Ferry is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 2 Restaurants in Alveston
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Warwick, United Kingdom
“Nothing but the Best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

What an absolute Gem of a place.

Food - Start with the best. I must admit I've eaten here many times. I will always go back because the quality is so high for the prices you cannot get better anywhere in Warwickshire for my money. Always a good selection of pub classics and a monthly / seasonal menu with plenty of choice. Never had a bad meal here.

Drink - Good selection of Ales, Beers and Spirits. Lots of Whisky Choices for those who know their stuff and even a great pint of Guinness (The fact that the Landlord is Irish might help). Not the cheapest but still good value. Remember this is a village pub not wetherspoons

Space - Not the biggest but always room for you in here. I would advise making a booking especially on the themed nights or on a Sunday for the Roasts. Plenty of room out front which is great in the summer. Free parking available in the local vicinity.

Atmosphere - Always a warm welcome. Staff are friendly and will do what they can to accommodate you. Not sure about what some of the other reviews have said here. Quite the contrary to what I have experienced!

Overall if you are in the Stratford area this place is definitely worth a visit. Won't cost you too much in a cab back to your hotel / house and you can always have a walk up to Alveston. If you are on holiday try and stray from the touristy gastro pubs that line Sheep Street and give this place a whirl!

Cardiff
“Most rude bar staff ever”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

Avoid this pub - In 40 years of visiting pubs I have never come across such rudeness and poor customer service before. We visited this pub for Sunday lunch having pre-booked for our group and were advised by the landlord to order our meals individually rather than as a group. After waiting 45 minutes, during which time some of our group that had ordered similar meals as well as some later arriving locals had been served, I decided to ask, politely, if my order was being prepared. I received a tirade of abuse and not the hint of an apology for the delay - effectively being told that it was my fault. There was no hint of customer service and not a smile or please and thank you anywhere. The rest of the group were shocked at the hostility of the staff. Being a group of polite, mainly mature professional people we were shocked by this abusive and totally unwarranted reaction.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Pat G, Owner at The Ferry, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Dear Jeff W
Thankyou for taking the time to leave a review for The Ferry on TripAdvisor. I am sorry to hear that you have found our standards below your expectations and I personally have to accept responsibility for that. I do remember you and I remember the issue with your food order, this was caused by a mistake by myself when I took your food order, you ordered a starter and two main courses, I wrongly assumed that this was an order for three separate diners as many of the guests in your party only had starters. I appreciate your dissatisfaction when the food was brought out to you as you were waiting for your starter to arrive first. We didn't deal with the situation very well and for that I apologise.
I do need to point out that it was one of your party members who insisted that all food was to be ordered individually and paid for when ordered, that under no circumstances were we to run a tab for the entire party of 21 guests. For this reason I did say that we could only do this if people came to the bar to order, due to cash payments/change and card payments. I also explained to this gentleman that the food would come out as it was ordered rather than the whole group eating at the same time and he was absolutely fine about that.
It is fair to say that similar meals were brought out whilst you were waiting for yours but please appreciate that there was a 20minute period during which your party came to the bar individually to order and yours was the last order.
However, none of this explanation on my part justifies any of us being rude to a customer, I can only apologise again, learn a lesson from what happened and ensure that it won't happen again.
Pat Grimes
Warwickshire
“Nice pub, good food, lousy customer relations”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

I went to the Ferry in a group for Sunday lunch. The pub is attractive, in a lovely village and the food was very good. The overall score reflects this. But there was a misunderstanding about one person's order. Such things happen, and I'm sure no-one intended it. However, the customer concerned and others were subjected to several ill-tempered rants from a staff member who appeared to have trained at the Basil Fawlty school of customer care (and passed with flying colours). What a sad end to what until then had been a most enjoyable and relaxing weekend. We'll be back in Stratford, but not at the Ferry.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Pat G, Owner at The Ferry, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Dear Naptonian
Thankyou for taking the time to leave a review of our pub on TripAdvisor. I am sorry that you found our customer relation skills below par and I must personally apologise for that. However, I do feel it is very important, and only fair, for prospective clients who may rely on TripAdvisor reviews before visiting us that they appreciate the scenario that led to such a negative review.
Your party of 21 guests had booked for Sunday lunch with us, we cater frequently for parties of this size without issue but it does mean that five of our eight dining tables are taken by one booking, we also assign an extra staff member to a party of your size so that our service is up to scratch and buy in an extra joint of roast specifically for you. Our experience has shown that for Sunday lunch service 75% of customers will choose the roast of the day, the remaining choosing from other mains available. Our reaction to your party was not in keeping with our normal standards, for me personally this was due to the following facts:
Of the 21 "diners" 4 did not order any food, 5 ordered soup, 1 ordered a selection of breads, 1 ordered a starter, 10 ordered mains (6 Roasts).
We are a small family run business, running a village pub the like of which are closing down all over the country. Unfortunately the reality is nowadays that you can only keep these sorts of pubs open and trading on the back of food sales, we strongly believe in keeping The Ferry as a pub rather than a restaurant but we do need people to come and eat.
Personally I did not deal with your party very well, for that I apologise. However, I have never had to deal with such a scenario, all I could think of was the money I was losing (and I don't mean profit!), extra food and staff, disappointed diners turned down because we were full etc etc.. Yes we are a public house and people can choose whether they want to eat or not, there is no sign over the door requiring a minimum spend per head but I can assure you that The Ferry would go out of business if the custom that your party had to offer was the norm.
Such a situation has never happened before, I have learnt alot from this experience and if it were to happen again I would deal with it far more professionally.
The saddest thing about your review for me is the reference to Fawlty Towers...if it were a sketch on Fawlty Towers we would all find it hilarious how poor old Basil had a large booking in and then hardly any of them eat, he'd loose the rag completely wouldn't he??
I know why he would.
Pat Grimes
Caistor, United Kingdom
“Lovely friendly pub”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

Great pub. Went for a drink in lovely traditional pub. Menu looked good but too early for us to eat. Couldn't get a taxi back to tiddington and landlord very kindly offered to give us a lift. Thank you

Warwickshire
“Super food and service - what a treat!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

I booked on a whim for a party of ten, mostly based on the fixed price menu - always a bonus when there are a few of you! Not knowing anyone who had been before or what to expect we were all more than pleasantly surprised. The place was absolutely buzzing. There was a large party of diners and my concerns that this might affect the speed of service were needless, the waitress was exceptionally efficient and very pleasant. There were four choices for each course, all wonderful, and not an eye was blinked when asked if sides could be mixed and matched - nothing was too much trouble. Without exception everyone said that their food was fab'. Looking forward to another visit.

• Visited September 2012