“Stone Mountain Inn” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Stone Mountain
Richfield
“Stone Mountain Inn”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012

On a scale of one to ten, we give this a four. Rude staff, emenities were far from being as described. Attractions included in hotel price were not included. Premium prices for a mediocre experience. Of the 24 hotels that we stayed in on our trip, this was number 3 from the bottom.If you like a 1960s example of snobbery, this hotel is a great example. Stay in Tucker instead, not only are the accomodations more modern and better maintained but you will have saved more than enough to pay for your day in the park. Do see the park. However, be prepared to see it all between the hours of noon to 5 pm.

Room Tip: Stay outside the park in Tucker.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Marietta, Ga.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012

This was a grandmother camp outing and while the Inn is conveniently located to the park,
our stay was not the best. After a long day at the park ending in the fireworks show, we were
anxious for hot showers and bed. The toilet in our room was stopped up(with excrement) and wouldn't flush.
After calling the desk 3 times and being told it would be a few minutes each time, I finally walked down and got a plunger myself. This was at 1 p.m.
The desk clerk was talking to other guest in the lobby and said he couldn't get away.
We were given a "discount" on our room by the manager the next day after I complained.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Decatur, AL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

My husband and I were fortunate enough to qualify for a government rate of $133 per night rate. That did not include breakfast or tickets. We were greeted by a very friendly employee named Kassie. We arrived only in enough time to go eat supper for the night. We went to the Waterside Restaurant at the sister hotel. I had the seafood buffet and it was MARVELOUS. My husband is not a seafood eater, so the waiter did not even charge him full price for the buffet. I had crab legs, shrimp, savory vegetables, salads, bread, and a decadent dessert of the best chocolate mousse I have ever tasted.

The worst part of our "trip" was just getting there. Coming from Alabama, we did have to drive through what seemed to be a rough area of town.

We were very happy with our room. The rooms were a tad dated. To address the person that said you couldn't watch tv from bed--all you had to do was pull the tv out from its sliding caddy and swivel. We enjoyed the nice balcony and the landscaping is beautiful. I would like to see a television added into the dressing area of the bathroom. Also to the person that said you couldn't close the curtains, ours closed totally fine. As a matter of fact it was so dark in our room in the morning, we overslept both days.

The living/bed area, and bathrooms are very large. There is a separate dressing area outside the toilet/shower area with plenty of room for 2-3 people to be able to maneuver around each other.

There is a fee for internet access, but we have wifi with a tethering package on our phone, so that didn't affect us either. I'd say this was an excellent rate for the price.

Room Tip: Ask for a room across the front of the hotel for a fabulous view of the mountain carving!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Columbus, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2012

My son and I took advantage of the $179 per night rate that includes breakfast and tickets. There was some initial confusion at check in but it wasn't too bad. Check in time is at 4:00 and everything closes at 5:00 so the tickets didn't do us much good. We ate at the hotel buffet. It's wasn't that great and was 14.95 ea. which we deemed worth it not to have to leave the property. The buffet had a salad, bbq chicken (all dark), nasty fried fish, pretty good masjed potatoes, and a desert table. The desert wasn't bad.

I mentioned not wanting to leave Stone Mountain to eat. The area outside the park would be a little scary at night at least the way wee came in.

In our initial room the AC didn't work and we were switched out fairly quickly. The rooms aren't modern what is worse they are layed out in such a way that there is no comforable way to watch t.v. There is a nice balcony and the landscaping is nice. The t.v. isn't a flat panel and you can't close the curtains so the sun is going to wake you up at 7:00 a.m. but that's not uncommon at a hotel.

The rooms are large, The bathrooms are very outdated but large.

What bothered me most of all is after paying $179.00 for this room I had to pay an additional $13 for Internet access. Anywhere else tihs hotel is worth about $89 a night but since it's in the park and conveniently located I'd say it's worth about $109.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Birmingham, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

We visited Stone Mountain State Park with our daughter's family and decided to stay at the Marriott Stone Mountain Inn. The inn is located on the ground of the park and directly across the road from Stone Mountain itself, so it's very conveniently located to the activities there. The room rates were very reasonable as we had two rooms. We found the rooms to be very spacious and comfortable. I read a previous reviewers comment that the beds were too soft and plushy but for us, they were perfect. Our rooms were very clean and comfortable. The only noise we heard was a child running upstairs the following morning but it didn't bother us, so keep that in mind if you're on the ground floor. When we visited, the pool wasn't open yet but, as guests at the Inn, we were allowed to use the pool at their sister property, Evergreen Conference Center, on the other side of the park! Overall, it was a great stay and I highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: The ground floor rooms do pick up noise from the upstairs rooms, especially children running and jum...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

My family and I went around Christmas, the hotel was very nice, warm, cozy and we loved the breakfast buffet!!! average size room. the beds.....UNCOMFORTABLE!!! they were so so soft/plush it was uncomfortable, and I love soft beds. I could not sleep at all, in two days I slept maybe 5 hours total. my husband slept on the floor. I don't know if all marrotts have the same beds but the only thing we needed a room for was to sleep and we couldn't because it was impossible with the beds. at one point I thought I could take the extra plushness off but the sheet was sown on to it....and I wasn't sleeping on the bare mattress. that's my only complaint. customer service was great, room service was great, other hotel accommodations were great, and snow mountain park/stone mountain park was great. The hotel is in a good location.

• Stayed December 2011
Atlanta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2012

Great location if you're going to the park (and very convenient if the kids are all wet from Snow Mountain). Rooms are big, but could use a little updating/upgrading - bed spreads are a little old, and the old tube tv could be replaced. Clean though, and well maintained. Breakfast included in very reasonable rate, and was tasty!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

Been to Stone Mountain Inn? Share your experiences!