“A Breakfast to remember!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Village Inn Bed and Breakfast

Village Inn Bed and Breakfast
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Stone Mountain
Village Inn Bed and Breakfast
You added Village Inn Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
992 Ridge Ave., Stone Mountain, GA 30083   |
“A Breakfast to remember!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

My daughter and I love historic places and when we found out about The Village Inn at Stone Mountain,GA having been a Confederate hospital during the Civil War, we decided that this was the place. The home was built in 1820 and has much history. It had been abandoned for awhile and was in need of a lot of TLC. The old home has seen some better days from first glance but the stories within its walls are worth the telling. There is a great view of the little town with the large granite mountain square behind it from the 2nd floor porch. We sat there in the evening sipping wine and reading some stories about the old home.

The home has three floors, and I believe 6 tastefully furnished rooms all set with "Gone With the Wind" themes and plenty of period antiques. We watched a movie on the TV in our room which came from a large library that is located in the living room. It was "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil"-- since we had just come from a visit to the Mercer House where it was made in Savannah Georgia.

There is a coffeemaker in the room and we made coffee and watched the sunrise over the mountain from the 2nd floor porch the next morning. The towels were nice and fluffy and all was done in a professional manner. The bed was comfy. Our only regret was that we couldn't stay another night and enjoy all the beautiful trails that Stone Mountain park offered.

Much anquish and agony happened here when the home was turned into a field hospital after the battle of Atlanta. It was also the home of a Reverend Stillwell and his nine kids. If you are expecting a 5 star luxury place, this is not it--however the breakfast that owner Kevin served us 2 Texas gals was really something to write home about. It was definitely 5 star and above and served with style on a nicely set farmhouse table. We had a tasty scrambled egg dish, freshly made hashbrowns with onions, bacon, a fruit compote, and to top it all off, he asked if we wanted waffles or pancakes, which we declined--never expecting such a fabulous breakfast for just two ladies on a Monday morning.

This was just supposed to be an overnight before our flight out of Atlanta but we sure wish we could have stayed a second night. I told Kevin that if I could buy this house and take it back to Texas with me, I would do it in a heartbeat. If you love history (and are a sucker for the paranormal) you will love this house. Thanks again Kevin--for all your tips and a breakfast to remember!

Room Tip: The room on the third floor is huge!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Hehxam
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

Stayed one night before catching flight from Atlanta. In a lovely village with stone Mountain park nearby. Kevin, who runs it now is very friendly and helpful and we enjoyed a good meal with some live music at the German restaurant,also visited friendly pub 'Bev's place' where we could have settled in for the evening. We live in a small village so were very realistic before we went about the likely amenities.
The Inn has a fascinating history including as a ffield hospital during the civil war.
The rooms were well kept and clean. We stayed in Scarlett's room and definately felt and heard a presence during the night which was entirely benign and not a worry - just added to the charm!
Excellent breakfast and great choice for a getaway from the city.

Room Tip: Scarlett's room is on the first floor so more accessible as no lift.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Acworth, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011

We arrived here for my birthday before dinner time, so we put our bags down and left for dinner. I did not think finding a nice restaurant would be that much of a problem. There is absolutely no where to go out to a nice dinner at around this place. We ended up at a German restaurant and the food was horrible. We got back to the B&B to find that the air was not working at all. It was August, so even going outside was awful. We tried the conroller in the room, and nothing happened. There was no one there to complain to about this. I guess they are only there to check people inn and make breakfast. The room was so dirty, also. The area this place is at did not seem very safe either. We ended up leaving after about an hour b/c there was no way I would have slept there.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Atlanta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

I agree with the comment "I'm still not sure how I feel about the Village Inn".
I was between a 2 and a 3.

The house itself was the best part, as it really did feel old and have kind of a 'haunted house' type of feel.
Unless you are going to Stone Mountain park, the location is pretty bad.
The historic Stone Mountain Village is dead, and even some of the annual parades have been cancelled. There are many quaint towns in Georgia, but this isn't one of them.

The Innkeeper was indeed surly, and the breakfast was 2 small pieces of french toast with a few corn flakes on them. Not impressive at all.
I had read that the Innkeeper had sold everything and this was her retirement nest egg.
I believe I saw a realtor sign in the front yard... at any rate, perhaps she has a reason to be in a bad mood. I'd be surprised if the place was still running in 2 years.

We went as a 'staycation' to try something different for a night.
It was different, and we won't be back.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Central Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2010

I'm still not sure how I feel about the Village Inn. I stayed there for two nights with my wife and two children.

First of all I have to say that the house is great. Extremely rustic and felt warm. The house I definitely enjoyed. The old furniture was surprisingly comfortable. I did enjoy the creeking of the old floors under my feet. If you paid close attention you could actually feel the house swaying.

We stayed in the Ballroom. The ballroom is the entire third floor. It was spacious, had a seperate bedroom and whirlpool tub. Unfortunately, there really is no third floor, it is more of an attic. The house is an A frame so the side walls of the ballroom slope. I am 6' tall and had to bend down to brush my teeth. Again, I took this as part of the charm of the old house.

The breakfast was very good. We all enjoyed it.

The Bad -

The Inn keeper is not a very warm person. The "Southern Hospitality" that the website spoke of is missing, big time. In conversation it came out that she is from Minnesota. Being southern born and raised myself, I can tell you that "Southern hospitality" is not something that can be taught, or purchased with a B&B.

There were other things that were missing. The place seems to be getting run down. The microwave in our room didn't work, the floors were dirty, there were dead bugs in our room (I am glad they were dead) and the shower drain was clogged. As for the snacks and beverages mentioned on the website, they were not at all what we expected. The tea cart downstairs was fairly empty. There were no fresh baked cookies. The only snacks were a few bags of chips in a basket in the downstairs dining room. The fridge in the room was empty. There were a few small bottles of water and a couple of cokes in the fridge downstairs. On the coffee table was a candy dish and my kids kept asking if they could have a piece, I had to tell them no. It looked like it had been there for a very long time.

Again, I enjoyed the house and the breakfast, but I can't help thinking that for the price we paid, we could have been extremely comfortable in a nice hotel.

This is my first stay in a B&B. I have heard great stories about the hospitality and how wonderful it is to stay in a B&B. I didn't feel that at the Village Inn. I guess that if you ignore a lot of what the website promises, and manage your expectations it was an OK place to stay. There are other B&Bs in the area that may provide a better experience.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2010

We stayed here for my husband’s birthday for just one night. The innkeeper was very nice and the breakfast was delicious. The homemade cookies and snacks were great to have on hand. We stayed in the Rhett room with a door that opened onto the veranda, a two person Jacuzzi and a gas fireplace. The weather was rainy and cold so the fireplace was great and the room was very cozy. We REALLY loved the history of the inn (including the creaky stairs, it added character) and the interaction with the other guests that we met. We plan on going back when the weather is better (springtime) and visiting Stone Mountain Park and will stay here again. All in all, it was a very enjoyable time.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Lancashire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2009

First, in view of other reviews, let's get the bad stuff out of the way first. The website is way out of date: the prices are wrong, there are no phones in the room and no internet access. Stone mountain village is a bit dead, though picturesque, and the only person in Georgia who isn't charming runs the cafe/chocolate and coffee/wine/gift shop on the high st, where we would otherwise have spent a fair bit of time people-watching..
Now the good stuff. Coming from the UK we get a bit bored with the word "historic" applied to anything over 20 years old in the USA, but this place is the genuine article. It is within easy walking distance of Stone Mountain Park. I found the hostess, Ashley, very obliging. The breakfasts she provided us were unbelievably good. It took me about 2 months to regain my shape after getting back to the UK, in spite of walking up Stone mountain several times during our stay.. Her son, who helps out, was a great source of information, deccaff coffee and good humour. The jaccuzzi in the Blue room worked a treat - be careful with bubble-bath, though, or it can get a bit cartoon-like. The open gas fire also worked well, and looked wonderful, but could take you by surprise until you got the hang of it! (The rug in fromt of the fire was very comfortable ;) ). We stayed over a week there, and enjoyed it very much. But a previous reviewer is right- I wouldn't want an overnight stay there if the Jaccuzzi wasn't working, it would be just too disappointing. But for us, it worked just fine, and our stay was a great success.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple

Been to Village Inn Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!