“Awful Housekeeping ” 3 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Florida
“Awful Housekeeping ”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

We stayed at the Atlanta Evergreen Marriott for a family New Years Vacation. We originally had reservations at the Stone Mountain Inn but after comparing both properties opted for the larger one with more amenities. We arrived early evening and fell in love with the beautifully holiday decorated lobby. There were movies for the kids available in the conference rooms and cozy fire pits by the pool. We had to change our room to be closer to the rest of the family traveling with us. Our room had 2 double beds (small) for the 5 of us. We had asked for a roll away but it was not there. When front desk was called to inquire they asked if we had put it on the reservation which we did. Our reservations were done over the phone. It took about 4 hours to get. My sister next to us had the same problem. They gave her a hard time and told them that there weren't any available. They have her tickets to stone mountain park to compensate. When my brother in law asked one of the guys that worked there, he came back with one right away. Though, we both had to pull out the mattresses from the roll aways & place on the floor because the metal frames were broken and our sons were falling. Never got a replacement. We had to ask for hangers (only 4-5 there). When we asked for more towels and toilet paper as there was none they were just set on the bath counter as if it was too much trouble to put them where they go. There was an urine stain on the outside bottom part of the toilet bowl which was not cleaned on day 1 or day 2. Not until I called did they come to clean and vacuum. One of the beds was ok, the other awful. No sheets were changed, the roll away mattress bed not made, just shoved to the side, not even fold the sheets!!
My sister had very similar problems with her room. She left a note to the housekeeper with items to do and a couple of additional bottles of shampoo and body gel she needed. It was all ignored. They had to change the a/c unit in her room it was working so bad.
The buffet was pretty good, though my husband didn't like it at all. The food is not kid friendly, ask for a kids menu( they won't tell you unless you ask). The room service food was cold. The food at Stonewalls was good but pricey. The server, Elaine, was absolutely wonderful! We were a party of 10 and even though she was the only one there, she took excellent care of us, paying special attention to all of the kids.
Overall, if the housekeeping team was changed in its entirety, the hotel would be a gem. Too bad what a bad housekeeping team can do to a beautiful property.

Stayed December 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
Raleigh, NC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

We just returned from a 4 day family vacation to Stone Mountain, and stayed with our 3 kids at the Marriott Evergreen Resort. We really had a wonderful time at the mountain, the Snow Mountain Park, and the Stone Mountain park. We definitely were surprised at how convenient the resort was relative to Stone Mountain park, and how easy it was to travel back and forth with 3 kids under 5 to the park.
There were a few great surprises at the resort worth mentioning.
First, the lobby is awesome! it really does feel like you are at a mountain resort, not just a marriott.
2nd the staff are very friendly, from the bellman, to valet guys, to the ladies at breakfast each morning. We really felt that everyone enjoyed their job and they always had a smile.
3rd, the pools/hottub were great! it was 40 degrees outside and the pool was still warm enough to swim in, and the hot tub was awesome!

BUT, here are 3 reasons why I would not recommend this hotel and return there.
when you pay $800 a night and you stay in the 2brm governor suite, I believe you should be offered a few extra things. Many of the people staying in regular rooms at $200 per night were part of a breakfast package, but when we inquired about how much we were paying and why they would not include breakfast, none of the employees at the front desk could assist us. It just makes a lot of sense to offer breakfast to the most expensive room at the resort. A very simple extra touch!!!
2: They charge you for the internet!!!!! It's 2014 now, who charges for the internet anymore, we are not in the Caribbean. I was very disappointed that they were that out of touch with the needs of their guests. We met another family that stayed down the road at the Best Western and even they had free internet.
3: We were surprised at the lack of cleanliness in the room. The bathtub had grime around it, the shower had hair on the floor, the glass table was obviously cleaned by a dirty rag. We are not very picky hotel people, but at some point, you begin to question why are the rates so high for this particular room if you don't get any extra perks, amenities or even a clean room.

Unfortunately there is a limited amount of hotels in the area so your choices are limited. I am confident that if this were a Westin or a Hilton, I would not have to write about the 3 disappointments we experienced. We will continue to choose those chains over the Marriott in the future, when we have those options.

Atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

This hotel is inside Stone Mountain Park. The restaurant has a beautiful view of the mountain and the lake.

The park itself is worth a visit for its many attractions. You must pay parking $10 when you enter the park, but the hotel does not charge an additional parking fee. In fact, valet parking was complimentary during our stay (check if that is still the case when you go).

You must drive or walk ( about 3 miles) from hotel to all of the parks attractions. About the park: There is plenty to do: golf, nature trail, kids attractions, museum, a cable car ride to the top of the granite mountain, fireworks, working real size locomotive train. Worth the visit.

About the hotel:

Breakfast was buffet style (any type of eggs you want, even made to order omelettes, made to order waffles, fresh fruits and berries, yogurt, lox (salmon), all sorts of breads, potatoes, some vegetables, oatmeal and cold cereals, etc) for $16 per adult including coffee/juice, milk, tea,

Rooms were very updated. The TV stand had connections for HDMI and RCB in case you wanted to connect your laptop to the TV.

Both the indoor and outdoor pools were heated which was a pleasant surprise for the kids. The lobby is pleasant with a fireplace and coffee shop. It also has a kids' room with board games, coloring pages and wii games.

I was very impressed by this Marriott and will come here again. Clean, comfortable room, nice bathroom, fridge and coffee maker in the room, staff was pleasant.

Room Tip: Pool, spa and gym access is on the second floor. If you want peace and quiet, choose a different flo...
Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

I travel a lot. And thought this resort would be a great place to stay for a family vacation during Christmas. It is a beautiful location. And the resort was decorated nicely. BUT..... the service is horrible. I've had better service at a $70/night hotel! So, upon check-in about 12 noon I requested a roll-away bed for my child. (There is no sleeper sofa). Again I requested a roll-away from the bellman just to make sure (and tipped well). We left for the day and upon returning at 9pm, guess what? No roll-away bed. Called guest services, asked them to bring right away as my 3 yr old was exhausted and we requested one 9hrs before. An hour goes by and STILL no rollaway! I had to go downstairs to the front desk to escalate! And then they were so dysfunctional that they brought 2!
Friday night dinner was a disaster as well. They have a seafood buffet. I am allergic to seafood and asked if I could order something off the menu. No, front desk said. And they told us there is another restaurant on the property, we would need to go there. Well, it's a bar/lounge. Family friendly they said. Well, I guess if you don't mind a bunch of people drinking and smoking e-cigarettes around your children. So my hubby orders a Caesar Salad topped with a crab cake. 1 hr later, still no salad. I didn't order anything since it was all bar type food and I didn't want that. I again went to the front desk (I'm getting to know the manager well). She called the restaurant manager to speak with me. I told him how a family next to us had their hot food within 10min, and also a couple that was seated 5-10min after us had their food, and all we ordered was a salad!!! He assured me he would take care of it and there would be no charge. Hubby got it "to-go". Got to the room- no salad dressing. Seriously?!!? He finally got a free cold deli sandwich from the coffee shop. Awesome. About 10 am that day we had requested a trash can for the bathroom. Imagine that, a hotel room with trash can for the bathroom. Requested from 2 different people. The housekeeper and also a garbage guy that empties the housekeepers trash. Yup I bet you know what happened, no trash can. Requested one from the front desk. Never got one. The icing on the cake was when we requested toilet paper. The housekeeper forgot to replenish our toilet paper. So I called and requested some. Nope never got it. I had to go downstairs to the front desk (again) just to get toilet paper. And when they said they would send it up I refused since I knew I it wouldn't come. The housekeeping manager on duty brought some. I did let her know that we had a horrible level of service and not having toilet paper was about all I could take. By the way I was 5 months pregnant on this trip. So having to go downstairs in my pajamas every time it needed something was really inconvenient. And the manager, Natalie, never once offered anything to us for all of these inconveniences. Stay away from this "resort". It's not cheap to stay there and the service is not good. Oh and we had a package deal for the Stone Mtn Christmas / Snow Mtn days. We later found out that the hotel should have printed our wristbands for us so we didn't have to stand in line at the park's guest services. Typical. They did print our 2nd day passes when we specifically asked since the park told us. Not sure why the hotel didn't let us know!!!! I could probably keep going, but I think you get my point! For $200 per night hotel go somewhere else.

Stayed January 2014
Silvia R, Director of Operations at Atlanta Evergreen Marriott Conference Resort, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
Dear FL_Native_2006

We are very disappointed to hear about your experience at our Hotel. Please accept my very sincere apologies for not providing the levels of service you deserve.
At your convenience please contact me directly at the hotel so we can address the issues you experienced.
Thank you so much!

Silvia
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

Very beautiful property. Rooms were clean and had lovely view of lake and mountain. Onsite starbucks was nice. Breakfest was amazing! the staff was nice. Pool was a nice place to hang out with my kids. They liked the large outdoor chess set. Did not use indoor pool but nice feature. Easy way to enjoy all of stone mountain without leaving the park.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Richburg, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

We visited Stone Mountain after Christmas, however the Christmas Stone Mountain was still going on. We purchased a package deal which included 4 - 2 day tickets for admission to Christmas Mountain and breakfast for 4 at the hotel resturant. In my opinion getting tickets through the hotels (or campground) is the way to go as you get seconds day free admission and there is just too much to see and do to do it all in one day.

Check-in - We arrived at about 1pm and our room was not ready (check-in isn't until 4pm, so no biggie) so we got our Christmas Stone Mountain tickets and went to the park. When we returned it was about 8pm and checkout went smoothly. The lobby was beautifully decorated for Christmas, the staff at the check-in desk was nice on both occasions and the bellhop (Tom) was very friendly.

Room - The room was nice as expected. Nothing elaborate, just nice and clean. When checking in, the front desk stated that our rollaway bed should already be in the room but it wasn't. We called for it and it was brough shorty. There were 2 toilet paper holders, both empty so we had to call twice to get toilet paper. Other than that, the room was fine. Of all of the reviews that I have ready about numerous hotels including many 5 star hotels, housekeeping tends to be the biggest complaint regarless of where you stay so I didn't harp on any of this (once we got some TP). There was a view of the lake from the balcony which was beautiful but it was just too cold during our stay to enjoy.

Pool - The kids were pretty excited that they hotel has an indoor pool which we visited at night. Of course the kids were just tickled to be swimming in the winter. The entrance to the pool wasn't easy to find, although we could see the pool. To get to the indoor pool you have to either go through the fitness area (which I didn't feel right doing) or you had to walk outside (it was freezing and raining). Once we go to the pool, it was almost painful sitting by the pool watching the kids swim due to the amount of chlorine in the pool. Immediately following us entering the pool building mine and my husbands eyes were burning, after being in there for about 30-45 minutes, our faces were burning as well and we did not get in. On a positive note, there was some nice outdoor furniture around the pool where parents could sit, just not enough of it considering it was winter, bad weather out and the hotel was at full capacity. Although there was not a bar for the parents at the pool, there was one within walking distance where my husband went and bough us each a drink to enjoy while watching the kids swim. Also, there was a shelf for pool towels but there were never any towels brought out in the 2 hours that we were there. Once again it was winter and the hotel was at maximum capacity so they should have been a little more on top of that in my opinion.

Breakfast Buffet - Our room included the free breakfast buffet and I have to agree with the other reviewers, this was one of the best breakfast buffets that I have ate at. The tables, chairs and view were beautiful. The buffet included a huge cold fruit bar, a huge hot bar (eggs, bacon, sausage, biscuits, gravy), a bar with donuts, huge and hot cinnamon buns and a oatmeal and grits bar OH AND the omlet bar with made to order omlets. We do a good bit of traveling and being from the South, I am always hesitant ordering sweet tea so I took the safer approach of Coke. My husband got sweet tea and after tasting it, I asked for a glass as well because it was perfect! I was shocked to say the least because the grits were prefect as well. Usually grits are served plain and require loads of butter and salt to get them "right", however the grits were perfectly salted and buttered and did not require anything additional. Between the tea and the grits, you knew without a doubt that you were in the south which was a pleasant surprising to me considering the hotel is owned by an international chain. Overall everything, including our waitress was perfect.

Gift Shop - The gift shop was pretty basic with not much of a variety outside of things like chapstick, snack, over the counter medicine, etc.

Overall facility - Overall this hotel is VERY nice. We did get an opportunity to walk around and explore the conference facilities and they were very nice. Some of the rooms were set up showing movies and one room was set up with several big screen TV's for anyone who wanted to watch sports. The only downfall here is that when we checked in, we were not told about the movie rooms or the sports room or else we probably would have taken advantage of them. We had to walk by there and see the sign as we were leaving to even know about it. A simple flier provided at check-in would have been appreciated as we would have loved to let the children go to the movie and myself and my husband could have had a drink at the bar. Although I know this is a conference center, I was expecting it to be geared a little more towards families as well since it is one of the few hotels in Stone Mountain Park and many families stay here in order to visit the attractions.

BOCA RATON
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

overall any okay hotel but not at these prices. I believe the staff means well , they are just very poorly trained. Housekepping was a disaster. Tried to get extra pillow and shampoo and tried several times at arrival. Had to wait until the am and then was handed a shampoo at time as if they were on some type of budget and only good give out one at time. You felt as if every time you asked for something it was an effort. This in not a cheap hotel and could provide a higher level of service. This was also over the holiday. The hotel did little to make guest feel as if they were happy that were spending our holiday at the hotel. Maybe a something a bit extra would be in order??. Also bed are unacceptable , very thin matters and cheap bedding. This is a really nice property, management really needs to step it up or your location will not save you.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Been to Atlanta Evergreen Marriott Conference Resort? Share your experiences!