“A Classic Southern Family Friendly Resort” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
10% off Best Avail Rate
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sea Island
Atlanta,GA
“A Classic Southern Family Friendly Resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2009

Some would say that The Cloister is an "old world" resort set aside for dignitaries, heads of state, business tycoons and well, the affluent. My expectation was that it would be slightly stuffy and overpriced. I was right about it being pricy but it was not stuffy at all. Everyone we met was very pleasant and kind. The staff at the hotel was warm and friendly and made us feel as if we were one of the regulars. We stayed at the hotel while visiting friends that live on Sea Island and I must confess that it seemed as though everyone knew everyone. Most of the folks at the resort have been coming for years/generations (we were there from June 29-July 3) and the resort was FILLED with families preparing to bring in the July 4th holiday. This is a very kid friendly resort - almost to the point that if you don't have kids it could feel a little overwhelming around the pool/beach area. I sat in the adult pool (which had a wonderful covered area with fans) with my iPod on and it was still very noisy. I am used to much more private beaches/resorts and this was a little too much children at play for me. However, my girlfriends on the trip that have children (I do not) loved the environment.
A must while at the resort is anything at the Spa. I had the "Head, Hand and Feet' massage with Ivan and it was delightful. Sitting in any of the relaxing rooms or the whirlpool with the waterfall is also a must. Whoever designed this spa did it right! I also rented bikes during our adventure. Riding bikes as the sun is coming up or down was such a treat. The island is flat and the beautiful homes, both on the marsh and the beach area are beautiful. This is a great island for easy bike riding. During our stay we also went on the Cloister Belle Yacht on the marsh. This was by far one of the most relaxing and enjoyable experiences we had as a group. The marsh was filled with local and exotic birds and dolphins that swam by our boat the whole way. The Cloister Belle host (blonde woman who I cannot remember her name) was filled with great local history and environmental facts. She was a joy, as was the boat ride overall. We ate at a couple of restaurants on and off the island during our stay. They are as follows: Big George’s (a staple casual bar/pub onsite), Georgia Sea Grill (very nice ambiance and food, very intimate), Delany’s (intimate, favorite of the locals, good food), & The Georgian Room (on site, 5 star restaurant, very posh, artistic food – which means you may leave hungry if you are a big eater). Try the hotels private label Santa Maria Chardonnay during your stay – yummy and refreshing for the summer heat! If you want to buy a bottle - have it delivered to your room uncorked. The library room by the Georgian Room is great to relax in – as is the smoking room by the River Bar (a nightly spot for us!). Be very careful at the River Bar – I got charged $16 for a glass of Chardonnay that should have cost maybe $6! I stuck to beer the rest of my nights here. We didn’t make it to the Wine Cellar at the resort and I wish we would have planned for a private dinner there prior to our departure- but alas 5 days was not enough to do everything we wanted to. Overall this was a great stay. The room was beautiful and very peaceful. The bed was amazingly comfortable. The nighttime chocolates were yummy and you have to love the Primrose lotions! The tub in the room was deep and perfect to watch tv or read in. I took a bath every day while I watched Oprah - it was marvalous!
If you are looking for an upscale, friendly, family oriented and southern resort this is a wonderful place for the family! Just know that if you live in Buckhead you will run into tons of poeple you know.... just an FYI.

Ps... I had room 66 which faced the river. Very quiet. Also note, beware of the frogs at night. They are tiny but they are everywhere.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
Longwood, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2009

What an amazing experience for the most beautiful spa and beach club I have ever been too!! Sea Island has a lot to offer at the Cloister. We stayed at the villas at The Cloister Beach club, and it was spectacular!! The rooms were very spacious and very secluded and private. The beds were so comfortable with down pillows (in which we purchased) and comfortors. the bathroom was just awesome with a high pressure shower head (spa type) and a spa bathtub that was so relaxing. The turndown service is just awesome as they leave these wonderful chocolates with a bottle of water at your bedside and your own terry robe with slippers by your bed, and to boot, they leave this beautiful classical music on when you arrive back to the room. They have wonderful spa shampoos, conditioners, and lotions that we bought in the gift shop because they were so awesome!! All the staff on the premesis were like your personal servents opening doors (as they can't get it fast enough) and asking if you need anything. Water and fruit and special tea times with goodies at certain hours of the day. The restaurants were very tasty (We ate a lot at Big Georges) as it was right on the beach and the food was reasonable. The best part of this stay was the Spa!! It was just devine walking into a georgeous relaxing santuary with running waterfalls where you can relax with a warm blanket waiting for your spa treatment. We spent the entire day at the spa with our facials and massages. The spa had euycalyptis steam rooms, and saunas and a secluded jaccuzi outside in a beautiful garden. The pool area consisted of 2 pools at the Beach Club, one for famlies and the other for adults. I would recommend the Georgian Room restaurant at the Cloiser for breakfast, as they have the best buffet I have ever had , especially the applewood bacon, it is a must!!

• Stayed February 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2009

This review is strictly about the Spa. I have not stayed in the hotel, but have been for dinner/drinks – it's fabulous (and expensive) and there are plenty of reviews of that.

The SPA on the other hand is a real treat. Also, ridiculously expensive, but a good spa experience is priceless (every now and then). First of all, the facility is amazing. There is sounds of water and ocean breeze everywhere. The atrium is a big room for relaxation amongst the water and koi flowing around you as you sit on big boulders set in a waterscape surrounding.

Upon checking in, you'll be escorted to men's/women's locker rooms. Obviously, I can't speak of the Women's locker room, but the Men's locker room is awesome – Big lockers, TV, newspapers, magazines, big leather chairs, dark wood. Private shower/vanity rooms, with very nice fixtures and well stocked with towels. There is a soaking tub outside, which is oddly refreshing to sit naked in a hot tub, outside, surrounded by lush landscaping. Back inside are a steam room and sauna that are rather plain for an otherwise over-the-top facility. I prefer the hot tub.

I have had several massages over the years, which have all been amazing massages. However, this trip, I got a Pure Relaxation Facial. Now, I was not aware this was a 90 minute facial... before this experience I would of said there is no way I could sit in one place and have my face played with for 90 minutes. However, Chad was simply amazing. We had possibly the best time ever. He made my face feel like a baby's butt and the 90 minutes just flew by! I highly recommend him and the facial over a massage.

As a tip, you are paying for the whole experience, so do not just look at the cost of a treatment and scoff... you are also paying for the facility and the amenities. Plan on staying for a while... enjoy the locker room, take a steam or a good soak, read a book in the atrium, etc. Arriving 5 minutes before a treatment will leave you feeling rushed and ripped off.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Northern New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2009

I cannot say enough about this wonderful hotel. The rooms are huge, beautifully furnished and they have thought of every way to make you comfortable. The facilities at this resort are outstanding. The spa is gorgeous, the beach club is great, the lodge at the golf course is fabulous. If you are a golfer, this is the place for you. I know it's pricey, but try "off season" if you it allows you to have this "not to be missed" experience.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
Fordyce, Arkansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2009

This property is a five star resort in almost every respect. It is old world elegant with all the ameneties you would expect from a five star property. The rooms are extremely roomy and well appointed. That having been said, this resort is so expensive, in virtually every respect, that it could never be deemed a value. $750/night for a room, and that is before the $35 resort fee and various other taxes, fees and "donations". Golf costs $250/person or $350/person depending on the course. The restaurants are likewise priced. These folks have obviously not been informed that there is a recession on.

The hotel is located on Sea Island, but instead of being on the ocean side, it is on the "river side". Thus, while there are facilities on the ocean (the Ocean Club), the rest of the resort has none of the advantages of being located on the ocean. I contrast this with The Sanctuary at Kiawah Island, which I found to be equally elegant, with breathtaking ocean views, cheaper golf of equal or superior quality, at roughly two-thirds the cost. Given a choice between the two, I'd choose The Sanctuary every time.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2008

My daughter and I took a 4 day vacation break at the Cloister to unstress and relax. This is the perfect place for that. The property is gorgeous inside and out. The service impeccable, staff extremely friendly and helpful. We scheduled a room at the Beach Club as we both enjoy the ocean environment. We were upgraded to a suite complete with a kitchen, two baths, living room with a gas fireplace and balcony. It was immaculate.

We had our Spa treatments, massage and facials. I strongly recommend the facial. The Spa is something to behold. Pictures do not do it justice. It is expensive but worth it.

We ate at Big George's in the Beach Club for lunches. Eating outside and gazing at the ocean was a relaxing treat. The pools are beautiful and two of them are heated. The weather was a little too cool to swim outside so we made use of the pool in the Spa.

We had dinner at the Golf Club which is a ten minute ride. We arrived early enough to sit outside and listen to the Bagpiper who plays for one hour at sunset. The gourmet meal at Colt and Alison was perfect.

This was a memorable experience for each of us. We came away relaxed and pampered. I am looking forward to my next visit.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing, I wish I lived at the Beach Club
  • Stayed November 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Washington Dc, District Of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2008

It has been 14 years since my last visit, so it seemed weird that the entire resort has been rebuilt. The property is still gorgeous, and they have retained the old southern charm - we had a great time!

The welcoming happy hour was a very nice addition. Our room was beautiful in the beach club but the services there were minimal compared to the main hotel.

We thought the Lodge on St. Simons looked wonderful and enjoyed the golf, the beach, and the spa is AMAZING! What an incredible facility - the fountains etc were fabulous, and I've been to several top spa hotels and this one is the best! Overall, we had a great visit. Our food at all of the restaurants was excellent. No complaints, although next time we will definitely stay in the main hotel - I think the beach club is geared to a timeshare type of deal with long-term guests, so that wasn't ideal.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to The Cloister at Sea Island? Share your experiences!