“Thanks Giving vacation” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Sea Island
Boston, Massachusetts
“Thanks Giving vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

Wonderful and stately resort with southern charm. Everyone knows your name moments after your arrival. Our room overlooking the river was lovely and spacious. Service everywhere was excellent and attentive without being overbearing.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

409 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Jacksonvile, Fl
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

We chose this property for our anniversary because we've heard good things about it and it's fairly close to home. The grounds are lovely, the service is decent, and the rooms are great (if a bit musty). My only real complaint is that the room service and River Bar food was subpar. Also, see my review on Travolta. Not good. I wouldn't stay here again only because for the money there are places that will blow your socks off. Palmetto Bluff is one.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

I was just at The Cloisters in Sea Island Georgia. I had a wonderful experience. The staff is so warm and helpful. Our room was spacious and very comfortable. The Spa is one of the most beautiful spas I have ever seen. I could live in the couples room! They were just finishing the Christmas Trees and the decorations...The trees could compete with Rockefeller Center. They were beautiful and enormous!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Bluffton, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

Interestingly enough, I've wanted to go to the Cloister in the mid 1980's after reading Anne Rivers Siddens's book, "Downtown". The main character was from Savannah and moved to Atlanta in the 1960's. She fell in love with the young "blue blood" whose family summered at the Cloister. Obviously, there was a twist in the ending but needless to say, I was enthralled with visiting Sea Island after falling in love with Ms. Siddens and the south. Well..it took almost 30 years but I finally made it in time to celebrate my 49th birthday. I understand the former hotel was razed in the mid 2000's but the new hotel still has the integrity of a 1920's Spanish Mediterranean hotel. Coming from California and now recently settled into South Carolina, I plan on coming back to this beautiful resort year after year.

Room Tip: If you love beautiful decor, I suggest staying in the main hotel and not the Beach Club. It was stu...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

I am a little disappointed this is only a 5 star resort. It sure seemed like a 10 star resort! The folks at Sea Island pay attention to every little detail.

At first glance the prices seem high, but the reality is the hotel and staff go out of their way to accommodate all aspects of the trip. While I dont normally stay in a place such as this, I was truly overwhelmed at the level of service and attention I received.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

My husband and I visited The Cloister at Sea Island to rest after a recent family wedding. It was wonderful. He played both the Seaside and the Plantation courses and loved both of them. The food was excellent; our favorite restaurant was Colt & Allison at The Lodge. I spent a day at the Spa, which was one of the best I have ever visited. Try the "Botanical Grommage" treatment and massage...perfect! The rooms are large and completely appointed with soft, good quality linens and towels. The staff is excellent; very accommodating and helpful with suggestions of things to do and places to eat, both on and off property.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012 via mobile

I am at least a 6th or 7th generation Georgian, and I spent my honeymoon here before the renovations of the 2000's, so I admit to some bias, but The Cloister is simply the best. I have had the pleasure of experiencing many luxury resorts in th Western Hemisphere and many Ritz Carlton and JW Marriott properties and can still say none of them have equaled the service, quality and experience offered at The Cloister, much less the history. The Cloister, the Beach Club and The Lodge are our standby favorite places. We just celebrated our 15th anniversary there. The Colt & Alison at the Lodge is our favorite restaurant there and the Beach Club bar at Southern Tide can't be beat for an afternoon of watching college football. The views of salt marshes sooth our souls each visit and remind us of young love, new lives beginning, and looking forward to the future at a backdrop representative of our deep Georgia roots. Sea Island is heaven on earth.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Cloister at Sea Island? Share your experiences!