If you're going, you have to go by boat and funicular - the car just won't cut it in my opinion! From the approach by boat, underneath the incredible waterfall, to the belle epoch landing stage and incredible private funicular, the arrival in itself is an incredible experience for kids and grown ups alike. I was slightly afraid of bringing the kids to Giessbach to be honest, plus we were travelling light, and dressed in slightly damp hiking gear. Exactly the kind of thing you would think would be frowned upon in this kind of hotel - but my fears were dispelled immediately by the warm welcome from the staff. They couldn't have been more helpful, showing us to the room and pointing out all the things that might be useful to us. We booked a 2-room suite (as there was nothing else available for 2 adults and 2 small kids). It was pricey at over 600chf (but not too bad if you take the quality and swiss prices into account). The suite was in one of the towers with the most incredible view along the lake, and tastefully furnished (to be honest i'm always afraid of the overdone and dated furnishings in most classic swiss hotel rooms - Giessbach have got it just right - classy, simple and no kitsch). Dinner was good, although we waited a little since the hotel was completely full. The price was reasonable (same price as a good auberge communale/village restaurant in switzerland) and if you book in advance it's slightly cheaper. The kids menu was also good quality and value. Breakfast was extremely good and the service/choice impeccable despite the full occupancy. You can't miss the walk up the waterfall, even in the rainy weather we experienced, it was amazing. My only regret is that we didn't have time to walk to the top and possibly further. If you go - i hope you get a musicbox in your room like we did - a beautiful traditional swiss craft that had more appeal than the tv for our little ones..thank you Giessbach!
- Also Known As:
- Grandhotel Giessbach Hotel Brienz
- Grandhotel Giessbach Hotel
- Grandhotel Giessbach Swiss Alps
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This historic hotel residence in its unique setting high above lake Brienz and right next to the foaming Giessbach waterfalls is a small exquisite world of its own. Surrounded by mountains, forest and meadows, offering a breathtaking view on the unspoilt scenery of lake Brienz, Giessbach is a flowered oasis far away from every-day stress and from the nuisances of our time.Superb turn-of-the-century residence in unique setting, 70 guest rooms and suites, 140 beds, old world charm and elegance combined with every modern comfort, conference rooms, beautiful ball-rooms and banquet rooms, gardens, terraces, playground, vast idyllic park and outdoor swimming pool, Parkrestaurant Les Cascades with Orangerie and terrace, bar, billard, library, oldest cable train of Europe. The Hotel is open from mid-April to mid-October and can be booked for events during the wintermonths upon request. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline and Escapio so you can book your Grandhotel Giessbach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.