“Soul food” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Late Night, Takeout
Atlanta, Georgia
“Soul food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

Good brisket! Large portions! Pleasant dinner outside at the picnic tables. If you like BBQ with local flavor you won't be disappointed.

Visited June 2014

“Outstanding BBQ!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

My husband and I are big BBQ fans and this place tops them all! I just had the regular BBQ sandwich and it topped the charts with the best I've ever had. Several sauces to choose from as well. Fries were a little overdone, but there were a lot of other sides to choose from. We will certainly be going back before our vacation is over!!!

Newport News, Virginia
“Now that's some BBQ!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

What more can you say about a BBQ location that is folksy, indoor and outdoor eating areas, lines of eager customers, mouth salivating while they stand in line out the front door. Because of their salivating they can’t complain and there really is nothing to complain about.

While they have traditional BBQ fare (beef brisket, Southern Soul Sandwich (jumbo pulled pork), ribs, smoked turkey breast, smoked sausage and more, where else would you be able to get a “knucke sammich”. I’ve heard people offer someone selse a knuckle sandwich, but I think they had something else in mind.

Non-adult drinks offer bottomless refills (at least until my brother and I ate and left). We did not see any desserts, but who would have room for them with the items they serve? They do have sides (potato salad, Brunswick stew, fried okra, soul slaw, cornbread, hoppin’ john (black-eyed peas and rice), collard greens and the list goes on.

My brother had read of the place and we decided to go and see if the compliments were earned or just offered. We can tell you that the compliments were justly earned. While there, we learned that Guy Fieri had visited the location for his series, Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives. I’m not sure if Southern Soul BBQ is a diner or a dive. It’s certainly not a drive-in by any traditional description. There were a lot of take-outs while we dined there.

My brother ordered the beef brisket and I ordered the barbecuban. Both of us are from the Tampa (FL) are where Ybor City serves a traditional Cuban sandwich. Both orders were ample, tasted well, and earned a return visit in the future. Next time I’ll be sure to order the knuckle sammich so I can say I’ve had one.

Darien
“Knocked out my old time favorite!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

For mank years Open Pit BBQ in Jackson has been my all time favorite, until now, WOW Southern Soul, I had the best pulled pork BBQ sandwich this past Sunday afternoon of my life, Thanks!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Scottsdale, Arizona
“I just had to try this..”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

I just had to try this BBQ stand. It has a whole bunch of atmosphere. You see the smoker smoking away to one side. The location is at a roundabout. A covered patio that you can't miss from a mile away. It is always crowded and the locals told me I had to try it. So I did. Parking is a tough, but sometimes think that is a good sign, right? You walk in and place your order at the counter. I had the pulled pork and my friend had the BBQ ribs. We made our way to the patio area. You have to listen carefully because they yell out your name on an intercom (sometimes in a silly way) or just simply as they walk out to serve you your food. This is all part of the charm. There is a basket with a selection of BBQ sauces in squeeze bottle to choose from. Honestly, I thought the food was okay as were the sauces. I loved the hype leading up to it but thought the pulled pork was a wee bit dry. A week later I tried the BBQ ribs and it was ok but not wow. Heads up...you will smell like smoke if you sit outside and their is a good wind. The good news, the meal was priced just right.

• 3 of 5 stars Food