“Very good Q, excellent sides” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Takeout, Delivery, Late Night
Milledgeville, Georgia
“Very good Q, excellent sides”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

I have eaten here several times and I enjoy the Bar B Que, their sauces are pretty good but the meat always has a really good smokey flavor. The Brunswick stew is more like a soup than a stew to me but it is delicious. I can recommend the Hoppin' John and the greens also, they have a vinegar pepper sauce on the tables and that totally makes the greens awesome.
After a pulled pork plate I have never had room for desert so I cannot comment on them. I always eat lunch here at least once when I am on SSI.

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Seminole, Florida
“Pass the sauce”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

Thought we'd stop at a place featured by Guy Fiari and found this one on St. Simons Island. We like barbecue and smelled that smoke before we found it. The place is a dive. You order at the bar and pick up your order. There was some outdoor seating but we were lucky to find a table inside. We found the ribs and brisket to be equivalent to ribs eaten at our local Rib Fest. Brisket could have used a little more something though. Did not try the chicken. Lot's of local traffic with a line out the door. Comparable prices. Some items you don't normally see in our neck of the woods like hoppin John, fried green beans (good), collard greens (needed a little more peppery flavor, fried Oreos for desert was interesting.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Port Orange, Florida
“Meh.....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

Meat smoked does not makith bbq. My wife and I visited St, Simons Island and were referred to Southern Soul BBQ by a relative who saw it on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives. I'm from Texas and grew up on and love bbq so I'd like to think I know good bbq when I taste it...and this was a total let down. From the beginning I was slightly irritated. The parking sucks and I had to park a block away. Not a deal breaker for a world class bbq joint but still. Walking up you see the rows of picnic benches in front of the converted gas station with bbq sauces adorning the table tops, Nice! My wife and I entered the front door and met what I anticipated, a line. My stomachs worst enemy and my taste buds best friend. I was ready to eat and my mouth was watering with the thought of that first bite. Thankfully Southern Soul has mastered the assembly line technique and we got our drinks and ordered within a few minutes. The prices were decent and the staff was very nice and friendly. I had the beef brisket plate with potato salad, bbq beans and a sweet tea. My wife had the pulled pork with the fried okra, mac n cheese and a sweet tea. After we gladly paid for this taste bud extravaganza we found a seat at a table outside. The table was placed on top of a concrete gas pump island which made it difficult to sit at. So difficult that the family that sat next to us had one person trip on the island and another trip and spill their drink on two people. The wait was about ten minutes before the server called my name and brought our food. It looked delicious on the trays and there was ample amount. The sides were all tasty as expected. When it came to the meat, the fatty brisket chunks had flavor but the sliced brisket was dry and relatively flavor less. Thank god there was bbq sauce although that wasn't that great either. My wife's pulled pork was good but dry as well. My wife and I both agreed that the hype was not worth it. If we had never had good bbq then we might think this was a cool unique place but at best the food was on par with any local bbq chain restaurant. Southern Soul has the look and feel of a good bbq joint but the soul has left this pig stand.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“Not THAT great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

boy after reading all these positive reviews i was really dissappointed. Expectations were high and this place is okay but not THAT great. this place is really a "joint". If more than 20 people can be seated this is a lot. Had the pulled pork and ribs and collards---all good but not "the best in the country and certainly not in the universe". I don't get it. Maybe you have to be a local not like a yankee like me to get excited about a place like this.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Wyandotte
“Good, but not as great as I expected”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013 via mobile

I found this place on Diners Drive-In & Dives so I was very excIted to try it. Don't get me wrong it was tasty, but not everything I expected it to be. It was tasty & tender (I had ribs, my husband had pulled pork, my girls had tenders). Everything was tasty, but not enough bbq used when cooking (which some people like it that way). The mac & cheese was hard & crunchy, not good at all!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere