“Nice little restaurant” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Outdoor seating, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Takeout, Dessert
Description: We are a family friendly restaurant featuring fresh seafood and Southern local fare. We serve breakfast, lunch and dinner. The 4th of May is located in the Pier village area only 3 blocks from the beach. We have pet friendly outdoor seating and take-out is available. Our indoor seating is cool and casual. Stop in for a fresh homemade dessert and don't forget to say hi to Aunt Helen!!
Atlanta, Ga.
“Nice little restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2008

We visited this restaurant 3 times during our weeks stay. The breakfast there is great! I also enjoyed the Club sandwich. I made a mistake our 2nd time there and got the turkey and dressing. Not good! I think their best dish is the seafood gumbo which my son had. I ended up bringing home a quart for later. Stick with the gumbo and just say no to the she-crab soup.

Atlanta, GA
“4th of May a family favorite”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2008

My family and I have been here 3 times in the last two years. Overall they always offer generous portions and the selections are very fresh. Among the favorites for us are crab cakes (my favorite), grilled shrimp, harvest cobb salad, waldorf salad side, carrot and raisin salad side, pumpkin muffin.

I can see the reviews are somewhat polarized, either people love it or they hate it. I will say that it is a somewhat rustic setting (an old grocery store converted into a restaurant), and that everything is together in one room, so it is a bit noisy with the clatter of things. This can be annoying or in our case contributes to overall atmosphere.

Our family of five gets out of there for ~$50, excluding tip. (kids are 13,11,9).

Our favorite place on St. Simons for eating out.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Family friendly menu...good home cooking”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2008

Family friendly menu...good home cooking

Athens
“My favorite”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2008

I was at SSI for 5 days this past week (5/21-5/26). Ate at 4th of May at least 5 times (breakfast and lunch somedays). Everything we had was wonderful. Squash casserole, tomato pie, Waldorf Salad, etc. Breakfast - omelets, sausage biscuits, French Toast, etc. On the last night we even got chicken salad plate to go and my husband and I shared it at the condo. Wonderful. This is not a fancy place, a lot of locals eat there. Not a chain restaurant. We had great food and great service every time. It will probably be my first restaurant the next time we're on SSI!

san diego, california
“Bad food, worse service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2008

Indifferent waitress with incorrect information about the food, dry overcooked chicken, boiled to death green beans, dried out mac and cheese, basically inedible food. You'd be better off at a drive thru.