“Awesome family getaway” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Shipwatch

and 1 more site!
You added Shipwatch to your Saves list
Shipwatch
2.5 of 5 Condominium   |   1524 Wood Avenue, Saint Simons Island, GA 31522 (Formerly ResortQuest)   |
Louisville, KY
“Awesome family getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

We traveled here with our 7 year old son and 2 year old daughter. Unit 215 was immaculate, and worked perfectly for our family. We were within 3 minutes walk to the beach, and the pool was used no less than 20 times while we were there. The on site manager was awesome, and even let us have a late checkout on our last day. We travel as a family to different locations each summer, and this is one we will definitely come back to.

Stuff for kids:
Park playground less than 3 blocks away
Bike rentals on site
Pool
Beach

Room Tip: We stayed in 215, and would recommend the unit for people with kids since it has a bunk bed and a sl...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Couples
Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

Family setting. Walk from boardwalk to beach is fine. Clean and comfortable for the four of us. Linens were clean, but blankets were older in our room. The manager was very helpful and accommodating. Easy bike ride to Ocean Motion and Crab Shack.

Room Tip: Rooms not facing the beach are more reasonably priced.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Evans, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

Great 2BR, 2BA condos on the beach. Some are more updated than others, but you choose which one you want to rent. There are plenty of photos of each unit. It's a quiet condo complex of mostly families with young kids visiting the beach.

Room Tip: Check photos on their site.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Tennille,GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2011

Our families stayed in 202, 206, and 301. If you are looking for a reasonably priced place to stay at St. Simons that is oceanfront with easy beach access Shipwatch is the place to go. All the other people staying there seemed to be laid back. The pool is nice it wasnt over crowded. There is a nice BBQ area near the pool with picnic area. The boardwalk to the beach was great day or night. At nighttime its lit the whole way. My grandmother was able to access the beach from the boardwalk she has a bad knee and there was a wooded bench area at the end she could sit on to relax and listen to the ocean. Ashley at the condo office was super nice and friendly to everyone in our party. 202 could use some decor upgrades they were kinda outdated. 206 was super nice, updated decor bright and colorful, comfortable bedding, and t.v. in both bedrooms and living area, swing on the balcony with a nice glass patio table and a celing fan. It also had alot of useful utensils in the kitchen. It was very welcoming. We had to move to 301 which is an oceanfront condo. It was nice as well but the beds werent as comfy, didnt have a tv in the room with twin beds but it was still very nice. They have an elevator, the grounds are clean and cute. Parking is first come first serve be careful for the garage if you have a large vehicle. Its a gated complex and thats nice we felt very safe. There is also gated beach access which the kids thought was so cool the big wooden door to the beach :) We all really enjoyed our stay! We will definitely go back again. Check out the website to view all the condos. There are stores nearby, the pier is great, lots of fun stuff to do!

Room Tip: Go to the website and view the pics. There accurate.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Melbourne, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2011

We had a wonderful Spring Break week at ShipWatch on St. Simons. Our condo unit was clean, roomy and comfortable with upgraded appliances and very good kitchen equipment.
We had two five year olds and a nine year old staying here, the DVD and flat screen TV worked great (for those rainy days) and when there was a problem with the cable, the maintenance man was there right away. We biked to the beach, the village and the cute
little areas surrounding the condo. Beds were comfy and we enjoyed the museum and the lighthouse tour as well as local eateries like Barbara Jeans and Bonefish. Can't tell you how much we loved this quaint little island. People were very friendly and helpful. We'll be back!!

Room Tip: ask for an upgraded condo. Rent bikes, see sights!
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Santa Monica, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2009

Never again. We were stuck here because there are weddings, reunions and other events that have filled up the hotels we normally stay. My best advice is to stay fare away from any property managed by Hodnett Cooper. And there are many. It's a 4th rate company with the lowest of standards. The properties are worn and unclean. They are obviously hurting and cutting costs on maintenance. The owners of the actual units made bad invesments and are not keeping the decor current and fresh. It is useless to complain. It's like staying at an elderly aunt's place. It is most uncomfortable and detracts from the lovely island. I can't wait to get away.... I'm trying hard to find something nice to say, but I'm drawing a blank. We were not able to get a recommendation from anyone for a plan B. You can't trust the photos on the internet and description. No exageration. This is a perfect example of how bad accomodations can absolutely ruin a trip. It really is very stressful when you strike-out and have no recourse.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Hazlehurst Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2008

On the spur of the moment , while in St. Simons, I decided to spend a few nights on the beach. I contacted Beach Club first...(friends staying there)...prices were outrageous!!! My friend said she didn't pay the amt. I was quoted. I called same place she did... go figure? $936 for 2 nights in a 2 bdr unit. Ridiculous to me! I just wanted to get away a couple of nights..however, I did not want to spend a couple of pay checks to do it!

Next, contacted Hodnett Cooper rentals. They put me in touch with Ashley at Shipwatch. She is such a sweet person! She gave me keys to 3 available units. I looked at each unit prior to renting. All of the units looked nice and clean. I chose 2bdr 2 bath unit # 105 because the walk to the pool and beach was shorter. King size bed in master was a well kept and firm mattress. Both twin mattresses were firm also. Nice sleeper sofa in LR. Stacked washer & dryer in the unit also. Price was very reasonable....$199 nightly plus tax & $100 cleaning fee. I got my couple of nights away in a nice and comfortable condo without having to pay "an arm and a leg" for it. We enjoyed the atmosphere so much... we actually stayed a total of 5 nights! Sure! if you've got money to burn...then go all out! Stay at the King & Prince (had a friend there too..fussing about her dirty room she had to scrub when they arrived) or the Beach Club. Aside a few contemporary decorations in the rooms and maybe some updated bedding...I believe my stay was just as relaxing and nice as if I had stayed at one of the other places.

I would definitely stay at Shipwatch again. All 3 of the units I saw were very clean. The only complaint I would speak of... is the shortage of parking during busy holidays. People should limit # of vehicles on property per unit, because they take over others designated garage space. Also, it is difficult to park a full size SUV...I have a Yukon XL... in the garage.

• Liked — Reasonably priced for nice accomodations located on the beach.
  • Disliked — Parking garage too small.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Shipwatch? Share your experiences!