“Don't believe the scary reviews - it was great” 4 of 5 stars

You added Ocean Inn and Suites to your Saves list
Ocean Inn and Suites
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   599 Beachview Drive, Saint Simons Island, GA 31522   |
Leesburg, Florida
“Don't believe the scary reviews - it was great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2012

We read some very conflicting reviews so decided to check it out for ourselves and asked to see the room before deciding. We were given a lovely king corner room for only $10 above the price of a normal room because it was our anniversary. What a great room - beautiful hardwood floors, comfy bed, and very clean. The lighthouse and ocean were right across the street! Some have commented on the odd tile and furniture choices. I figure it's not my home so who cares if the curtains match? It's clean, well-kept and has a great bed. The continental breakfast was typical- nothing to write home about. But the hotel is within walking distance (1 block) to the Village where there are lots of shops and restaurants. The best by far is "4th of May" - where all the locals go. They made us feel so welcome we ended up eating there every day! Great food and very cheap prices!

The only negatives for the hotel were: the parking spaces under the hotel are VERY tight - however there is roomier parking behind the hotel or across the street by the beautiful Neptune Park - so there are other options. Also you might want to bring your own bar of soap. The little slivers of soap they provide are a joke. Aside from those little things, no major complaints. I'd recommend it for comfort and location, location, location!

Room Tip: Worth the extra for an ocean view!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
new york
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2012

I'm surprised TripAdvisor ranked this hotel #3 out of 9. Right off the bat, Christmas lights are still on display on the front balconies, but that didn't even annoy me as much as the neon vacancy and other signage in the windows. The lobby appears cluttered and in need of a makeover (very mom and pop....ish). In all fairness, the staff is very friendly and helpful and my room was decent. I absolutely love the floors (except in the bathroom) and the beds are comfortable. While nothing to write home about, my stay was satisfactory.

As I think about it, I probably wouldn't be writing this review if TA didn't rank them #3.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2012

My husband and I have been visiting St. Simons every year for the past 8 years, and we decided to try Ocean Inn and Suites for the first time this year. We had previously stayed at the King and Prince as well as the hotel right next to the lighthouse, so you might call us seasoned St. Simons vacationers. We heard of Ocean Inn through a friend who had visited on her honeymoon, and thought to give it a try though we were hesitant at first to try a new place. First of all, the hotel is absolutely beautiful and very well landscaped. The lobby was very clean and the staff was extremely gracious and sweet. I have read other reviews on here and can assure you that my experience with the staff was nothing but entirely professional.

We stayed in an ocean view room, and it was immaculate. The hardwood floors were a pleasant surprise as well, as most hotels have dingy carpet that is probably a breeding ground for all kinds of bacteria. The bathrooms were also very clean and quite spacious. Other than the spectacular view from our room, my favorite part was the bed. I don't know what kind of beds they have here, but they are extremely comfortable. My husband and I were looking for a new restaurant to try on our first night, and the girl at the front desk quickly looked up a few places for us and gave us directions.

Honestly, we had a wonderful time. We loved our stay at Ocean Inn and Suites and will be staying here every year going forward as it's our best experience thus far. We would highly suggest it, not only for the view and location (it's next to "The Village," the Island's mecca of activity), but also for the super friendly staff and super clean and luxurious rooms.

Room Tip: We would definitely suggest booking an ocean view room! The view is spectacular.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Gainesville, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2012

We had holes in our comforter, only one roll of toilet paper, not enough towels, the tub drain did keep the water in and the TV remote didn't work. I reported the problem to the lobby, was prompted given a roll of toilet paper and two battries. Self service hotel? Also, attention parents, there was NO children's channels. VERY limited amount of channels provided. It was great walking distance to the villages but that was the high point of the stay. If you don't get ocean side then you get dumpster side view. Hardwood floors were a nice touch.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Charlottesville, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012

My fiancé and I have made going to St. Simons for New Years a tradition. We usually stay at the King and Prince, but wanted to try something new this time. After reading the reviews and seeing the very reasonable rate for Ocean Inn and Suites we decided to give it a try. The location is wonderful. We could easily walk to the lighthouse, beach and restaurants. We really liked that we were able to enjoy a few cocktails and fireworks on the beach without having to drive. That was a huge bonus. If someone were traveling with kids they would love the close proximity to the playground, miniature golf course and community pool.

On the other hand, there are a few things to point out. The hotel labels itself as a luxury boutique hotel. We read a couple of other reviews and based on them we decided to bring our own towels. We were SO glad we did! The towels and washcloths are very thin and scratchy. The rooms are spacious and we felt it to be clean over all. The lobby is interesting and there are neon signs in the window. The kitchen door was always open with a view of dirty dishes in the dishwasher. The staff members were all very friendly. The bath products were not luxurious and even seemed to be a little old. Our bathroom and room were dimly lit, the lighting is pretty limited. The parking garage is pretty small, I would imagine it would be difficult to park a large SUV. You can park on the street and this time of year there was ample parking which we preferred.

Overall, it was perfect for the weekend we had planned. I am glad I read the other reviews before staying so I wasn’t prepared for a luxurious stay. We felt like we knew what we were getting into.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Weaverville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2012

My wife and planned an after Christmas trip from our home in Western NC. Our plan was to drive to St. Simon's for one night and then on down the coast of Florida. When we arrived and checked into our 3rd floor suite, saw the beautiful view of the light house and ocean we were really pleased. After a walk to Barbra Jean's for dinner and a 9 hour sleep we both agreed we didn't need to go further. We spent 3 nights at Ocean Inn. The maids were quite as mice and let us sleep late. The suite was huge and nicely decorated. The staff at the front desk moved heaven and earth to let us stay in our same room after we decided to extend. What can I say..we are planning our next trip and we will be back at the Inn. R Wallen Asheville, NC

Room Tip: Rooms on the higher floor toward front offer a beautiful view.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Monticello, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2011

This is a great place to stay if one is visiting St. Simons for golf or just to hang around the island. The rooms are spacious. The hardwood floors are a nice touch because one doesn't wonder what might be lurking in the carpet. The bed was beyond comfortable. We had a great view of the lighthouse and the ocean from our balcony. Its withing walking distance to the Village with its numerous restaraunts. The stalf was friendly and willing to help. We'll be back.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Ocean Inn and Suites? Share your experiences!