“Farewell Dinner in St. Simons” 2 of 5 stars

260 Redfern Village, Saint Simons Island, GA 31522
(912) 634-6333
Menu
Improve this listing
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Dessert
Wayzata, Minnesota
“Farewell Dinner in St. Simons”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We had a group of 12 here for a final dinner at the end of a family vacation. Overall, the atmosphere was nice but the food was better at Iguanas and Crabdaddys. The low country boil was lower on flavor. I would go back but maybe try other places first. *Please keep in mind that today I posted 17 reviews from everywhere memorable I ate this summer in Paris, Dublin, and St. Simons, GA. Before doing so, I put all the restaurants on a spreadsheet to make sure they were collectively average. For me, average is average and I would recommend eating a place I call average. I do it this way to make the best stand-out.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

80% Recommend
Venice
“ABYSMAL EXPERIENCE!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I don't know when the other reviewers visited this restaurant but my experience couldn't have been more opposite!
I am writing to express my extreme disappoint with the abysmal experience I had at this restaurant! I met my family members from NC in St. Simons to celebrate one of the members birthdays. I made reservations a week in advance of our visit, and I was very impressed with the fact that not only was my reservation on record, but our table was already set up despite the fact that we arrived 30 minutes early. That's where my being impressed stopped! It took our server 10 minutes to appear at our table to take our drink order and then another 10 - 15 minutes for our drinks (soft drinks and beer) to be delivered to our table, and, they weren't delivered all together! After the delivery of the drinks, we waited another 15 minutes for the server to take our order, then another 30 for it to be delivered, again, piece meal. All dinners were not served at once. When our food finally arrived, the temperature of it was tepid at best except for the pot boil. We tried to get our servers attention but it was to no avail. We were still waiting for her to return with extra napkins and our bread. So, we just proceeded to eat our by now cold meals! When the server finally returned to the table, she advised us that the bread wasn't done baking yet but that she'd bring it over asap. We told her that our meals were very disappointing and she just shrugged and walked away! Well, we were all done eating when she finally brought the French bread, the only part of the meal which was hot! So, in essence, we had French bread for dessert. I was extremely embarrassed in view of the fact that I had chosen this restaurant for the place to celebrate what should have been a happy time! I will never return to your restaurant again and will certainly tell everyone I know that Guy Fieri really missed the boat on this one!

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Monroe, Georgia
“Best food on the island!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

I have been coming to SSI for years and have eaten at the usual places - The Crab Trap, Fredrica House, Crabdaddy's, etc....but this is now my favorite of all. The service was great, the food was just delightful and fresh. The Vidalia Onion Casserole was out of this world, the shrimp and grits appetizer had the best flavor of any I had ever tasted and the grilled and blackened shrimp was fresh and tasty. I cannot wait to visit again.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Jacksonville, Florida
“Great food and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

We were on our way back from SC to FL and decided to stop for dinner in St. Simons Island. We googled best restaurant in St. Simons and Blackwater Grill came up on the list. We read that it was recommended by DDD (TV Food Network show), thought we should try it and we were not disappointed. The food was really good. We ordered fried local shrimp and fish of the day, triple tail fish with jerk seasoning. The seafood was really fresh and ingredients used was not over whelming and yet, very flavorful. The sweet potato fries with remoulade sauce was also delicious. Landon was our server and she was super friendly, patient and took the time to explain the entire menu to us. Now we know why Guy Fieri liked it so much. We can't wait to go back again to try other dishes on the menu.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Cincinnati
“Interesting and good”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

We enjoyed the food and the atmosphere. The jambalaya was delicious. Although time did not permit, I wished we had been able to return to sample more items on the menu. The weather was rainy the evening we were there, but the porch looked inviting for lunch or an early dinner.

Visited July 2013