“Great time in the woods” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Lodge on Little St. Simons Island

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Saint Simons Island
The Lodge on Little St. Simons Island
You added The Lodge on Little St. Simons Island to your Saves list
1000 Hampton Point Drive, Post Office Box 21078, Saint Simons Island, GA 31522   |
GreenLeadersGold level
Tybee Island, Georgia
“Great time in the woods”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

i have heard of Lodge on LSSI and finally got a chance to visit. It is upscale camping for adults. wi th three great meals a day and pretty open bar it did allow us time to wind down. Many planned activities, but we chose to make our own adventures. Taking their skiff out to a deserted beach to collect amazing shells and see the most beautiful drift wood to biking to the north end of the Island. (not recommended for the faint of heart). Yes you do need to apply bug spray but the time getting back to nature was worth it.

Green Features: very eco friendly with brown paper towel refillable water bottles.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Scott G, General Manager at The Lodge on Little St. Simons Island, responded to this review, December 1, 2013
We're glad to hear that you had a great time on your first visit to Little St. Simons Island. As you found, there are numerous outdoor activities that you can enjoy on your own or with one of our experienced Naturalists as your guide. We really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience and hope you will come back to stay with us again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Hillsboro, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

We visit Little St. Simons Island often, and it is always like coming home to our southern family. You get to know the staff and they eventually become wonderful friends. This last visit we helped baby turtles that hatched make their trip to the ocean. The naturalist are doing nightly talks that cover the habitat, flora, and fauna of the island. The food is excellent with Charles and Paula as the chefs. My family love the island and the wonderful staff and will make it a tradition for many years to come.

Room Tip: We always stay in the River Lodge which has plenty of room, a lovely screened porch and wrap around...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
It's really great to hear that the staff make you feel at home. We are fortunate to have such an amazing group of talented individuals who love this island and enjoy helping our guests have a memorable visit. Thank you staying with us again and taking the time to share your feedback. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

I could write a very verbose review of Little St. Simons, but instead I'll just get to it.
This place rocks. Staff is super from the time you step on the boat to the time you're done and step back off.
Taylor, Andrew, Laura, Ben, Mike and everyone else (sorry I suck at remembering names) were just so friendly and helpful.
We stayed in the lodge and it was excellent. Clean, comfy, and private. There are, contrary to other reviews, mechanisms to 'lock' your door while you're inside the room (small wood block that turns down).
Food was excellent and the chef and kitchen assistants were all great. Daily snacks were always out and fresh tea was always available as were lemonade, coffee, and sodas.
Bikes, kayaks, etc were yours for the taking, none of these hold-your-hand "excursions" like some places I've been, unless you want a guide then they are happy to assist you!
I hated to leave as I really took a shine to this place. While out adventuring I saw so much (armadillos, so many different birds, gators, fish, crabs, deer, to name a few). The beach was so nice to explore and no crowds to fight.
My only gripe is with some other reviews whining about bugs. Wut? It's an island in SE Ga with a marsh, of course bugs are abundant! LSSI provides all the bug repellent you'll need though so suck it up and deal with it.

• Stayed August 2013
Scott G, General Manager at The Lodge on Little St. Simons Island, responded to this review, September 22, 2013
It's great to hear that you had such a good time on your visit to Little St. Simons Island. I'm so glad you found our staff to be friendly and helpful. They are an amazing group of people who love the island and enjoy taking care of our guests. Thank you for staying with us and for writing a detailed review. We appreciate it and look forward to seeing you again soon.
Suwanee, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

We celebrated our 36th weddking anniversary at Little St Simons Lodge last week. We stayed in one of the Hunting Lodge rooms because that was what was available. While we thoroughly enjoyed our room, next time we hope to stay at the River Lodge.

The people were friendly. The food was amazing!!! (Thank you, Paula!!! You rock. Q is still talking about how you made chicken pot pie just for him.) The view was ibreathtaking. We kayaked for the first time. Willy was incredibly patient with us and helped us have an amazing adventure. :)

My only suggestion is that while it was great as a couple, it would be better to be there with a larger group. There were several larger groups there while we were there. It was easy to feel overpowered by them and their wants. With that said, there was nothing we asked for that the staff didn't immediately try to accomodate.

We can't wait to returni to this beautiful piece of paradise on earth..

Green Features: fabulous except I wish they would reconisider their insect (mosquito/ sand flea) policy
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for staying with us to celebrate your anniversary. I'm so glad you enjoyed the food and went on your first kayak adventure. We often do have guests return and bring family or friends to share this unique experience. However, most of our guests do visit as couples and often make friends with other couples while dining together or sharing an adventure. We hope you will come back to visit again soon.
Augusta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

I was looking for a quite beach that was safe for a single woman traveling and I certainly found it at The Lodge on Little St Simons Island. My stay was for 4 nights and I was looking for that beach that did not have a footprint in the sand when I arrived in the mornings. I am really amazed that there is still such a place in today's world. Each morning I got up and biked to the beach (2 miles from the lodge) and ran on the beach. Two of the three mornings that I ran there were no footprints, I was the first. The other morning I saw footprint, but no people. It is so quite a peaceful, amazing really. Also, for a single woman it is so safe! Once you arrive on the island the only people there are the naturalists that live there and the other guest which may total 30. There are no locks on the doors of the cabins or individual rooms but you don't need it. I never felt threatened or unsafe, it was wonderful. The cabins are clean, the showers are big and the towels are thick and fluffy. Everyone, including other guests and naturalists are very nice. The food was to die for................just a wonderful vacation that exceeded my expectations! My first visit was August and it was hot, but I expected that. After all, summer in the south is hot. I will most certainly return, probably in the fall when I can explore the island's many trails on foot. I highly recommend this vacation, especially if you are single or looking for peace and quiet.

Room Tip: I stayed at the Cedar Lodge. I went into the Helen House to have a drink with friends one night. B...
Green Features: The lodge used geothermal heating and air. When you arrive on the island they give you water bottles to fill and refill so there is no plastic waste. If you choose to drink soda or beer there were areas for recycling those aluminum products.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for staying with us and sharing your experience. I'm so glad to hear you felt safe and comfortable while staying with us. As you pointed out, it is a pretty unique experience these days to be able to walk the beach and not see a soul or any footprints for that matter. Many of our guests are able to enjoy this peaceful solitude regularly on our 7 miles of private beach. We hope you will come back to see us again soon.
Charleston, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013 via mobile

We just returned from our third stay on spectacular Little Saint Simons Island, or, as they say, LSSI. Standards remain very high but without any discernible effort. Nevertheless, in order to keep it looking "natural," an enormous amount of behind the scenes work takes place. For instance, the countless bicycles are always new, the rustic walks and roads are always litter-free, the linens are always perfect and fresh (but the housekeepers unseen), a new ocean front lunch deck has been built to look like it has always been there. At the beach in the middle of nowhere there are fresh towels, umbrellas, chairs and a phone to request a ride home...but no beach boys. The beach is about seven miles long, and one day we had it to ourselves! This place gives the word "subtle" new meaning. Because LSSI is perceived to be not for everyone (no spa), it attracts diverse and fascinating people who become new friends. And then there's the food. Go on a diet before arrival so that the post-departure diet is easier. Three cheers for Chef Paula!

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying with us again and taking the time to write a review. We're very happy to hear that you found everything met high standards as in your previous visits. It is very important to us that everything is kept "Natural" yet very comfortable for our guests. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Aiken
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Every review I read of the island was wonderful and made me wonder if reviewers suffered from some sort of need to make their vacation sound great. But as this has been a bucket list destination for several years, I knew we had to go. I was a little worried about taking two sons in their early 20s with no entertainment establishments available. We had a blast. It really is the best of all worlds- you are on an island with very few others so you almost feel like you're alone, but then you meet for meals and enjoy human companionship again.We realized after we left that we never locked our doors at night. When can you say you've done that on vacation, unless you're staying in a tent! Casual attire at meals (wasn't sure about that) with gourmet meals and great open bar. A delightful variety of meals. I loved the oyster roast and I don't even like oysters. The chef is great and accommodated our vegetarian son and my shellfish allergy. Naturalists are top notch and very patient with you as you learn new skills. We learned to sein and surf fish. Loved the tackle shack. The accommodations are first rate. House keeping was outstanding, no sand or grit on the floor ever. Cookies in the afternoon were appreciated. Games in the lodge, but we never had time. The back porch was screened in so we got to enjoy the bird watching without being annoyed by the ever present mosquitos. We saw a painted bunting, a first for us. Even used the swimming pool to cool off. It was salt not chlorine, so that was nice as well. The armadillos were even friendly. It was very had to leave. But knowing that we will go back, made it possible to climb aboard the Captain's boat and leave an unspoiled golden isle of Georgia.

Green Features: They obviously approach care of the island from a sustainability point of view, down to the detergent provided by the washer and dryer to the sea wall made from oyster shells and not harvested wood.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Scott G, General Manager at The Lodge on Little St. Simons Island, responded to this review, August 4, 2013
Thank you for staying with us on Little St. Simons Island and taking the time to share your experience. I'm so glad to hear that you and your sons had such a good time. There really is so much to see and do for all ages that one visit is rarely enough for most people. We look forward to seeing you and your family again soon.

Been to The Lodge on Little St. Simons Island? Share your experiences!