“Private function” 4 of 5 stars

Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
“Private function”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2014 via mobile

My first time at Bennies was for company function. The atmosphere is very nice. Like most places on the island you are treated as family and everyone has that southern hospitality charm. Will have to visit again to try out the menu.

• 3 of 5 stars Food

“Food & ambiance did not live up to expectations”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2014

Reviews lead us to Bennie's. Seated right away as were other reviewers. Restaurant was very dark and we were seated right next to another table although the restaurant was pretty wide open at that point. My daughter & the lady next to her would've hit elbows if they tried. Food was OK. I did really like the salad (the dressing was delicious). Steaks were charred & my son, who loves steak, didn't even want to eat his (we ordered it medium but if was very black & charred on the outside). Crab augratin was not good. Brunswick stew was too smoky tasting. My husband's filet was nothing special. The calamari was good. Brownie Sunday was typical - didn't stand out. Service was good. Sadly, I think I agree with another reviewer that you'll probably get a better steak dinner at Outback.

• Visited September 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Conyers, Georgia
“Southern Hospitality & Great Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2014

What a nice change, Southern Hospitality! Great, friendly, knowledgeable service and excellent food to match. We were made to feel at home immediately, menu was explained in great detail and suggestions made. The Filet Mignon was as good as it gets, Blackened Shrimp excellent. When in St. Simons Island do yourself a favor and eat at this super restaurant.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Skipton, United Kingdom
“great food, service and hospitality”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2014

We visited Bennies Red Barn on Friday 22 August 14 and even without table reservations the staff made every effort to find us a table and made us welcome. Our waitress Lisa aka "Little Country" looked after us throughout the evening.
We had the fillet steak, the Cowboy steak & a surf & turf all of which was faultless. Racoon cocktails to finish and with a personal serenading by Chip one of the staff made the whole experience so memorable & felt a bit liked we had stepped back in time.
A bar next to the restaurant with live music then gave us some opportunity to dance away the enormous Cowboy steak.
Thanks to Jamie, Lisa, Chip and the staff for a great night of down to earth food & service within a simple setting. Don't get dressed up, in fact its more of a night to let your hair down if there's live music in the club next door though that's only open Thursday - Saturday

Atlanta, Georgia
“Best filet mignon EVER!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2014

I was visiting St Simons, Georgia from Atlanta , Ga on 8-23-2014. Someone suggested Bennie's Red Barn for my dinner place! I went, and boy, I sure am glad! I rarely eat meat and when I do, it's filet mignon. I ordered that tonight and it may be the best filet mignon I have EVER had, and I have eaten filet mignon around the world. It was extremely tender, cooked just the way I wanted it! It was awesome and I am the pickiest eater on the planet. The iced tea was great as well as the baked potato! My server Danielle was excellent all the way around also! I got to meet the gentlemen who sings there and he helped me with some history of the island. The whole experience was WONDERFUL!!!! Thanks guys!