“A hardy thanks to Captain Joe McDonough and his friendly crew!” 5 of 5 stars

Beach Bed & Breakfast
Beach Bed & Breakfast
907 Beachview Drive, Saint Simons Island, GA 31522   |
Menifee, CA
“A hardy thanks to Captain Joe McDonough and his friendly crew!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2006

Clean, spacious, well decorated rooms with a beautiful view of the ocean.

My brother and his new bride experienced a dream come true-their wedding on a beautiful island! The staff did a applaudable job at bringing the details of the wedding together to make a beautiful, "picture-perfect" ceremony.

My wife and I have the pleasure of staying in one of the houses down the street from the main house. Our room was well furnished and very clean; the living area was spacious and comfortable with its vaulted ceilings and clear view of the ocean.

Joe McDonough and his friendly, knowledgeable staff met our every request with a smile and were prompt and professional in fulfilling each. Joe, a long time resident of the island, was a great source of knowledge about St. Simons Island and even took my father on a bike tour one morning.

If we are ever in the area again, we will most definitely make our reservations at the Beach Bed and Breakfast!

• Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

28 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Tallahassee, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2006

Our stay in the Governors Suite was fabulous. Views of St. Simons Sound with ship traffic going in and out of Port of Brunswick were fascinating. That said, only the Governors Suite has balcony overlooking water; there is no 'beach' in front of Inn as it is rip/rap bulkhead at all but low tide; and Village area a little too far for casual stroll (too hot in July). None of this mattered to us but might be of concern to others.

Stayed July 2006
Acworth, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2006

Nice place for a nite, but don't plan a wedding.They will tell you they are equipped to do it, but I have never worked with more unprofessional and untrustworthy people in my life, and I have already done both my other daughter's weddings with no problems. Everything was planned in detail, in writing, confirmed and reconfirmed but when we got there Joe McDonough acted like nothing previously agreed upon existed. He tried to charge different room rates to the guest and the Bride's family. No room keys were given out since Joe said we didn't need them. We had the main house reserved, they rented out a room causing us to juggle rooms. Joe walked into private guestrooms whenever he pleased, especially the Bridal suite while the bridesmaids were using it. He was rude and his behavior to me and the Bridesmaids was sexually inappropriate from the minute we all arrived, and continued all weekend. They argued against having the ceremony on the beach until they lost, even tho that had been planned with the tides since December, causing the Bride undue stress. There was no evidence of a hired staff, the bartender being called from the beach last minute. A very young girl licked her fingers of the frosting and placed fruit on the served cake till one of the guests objected. The tent never showed up, we finally got umbrellas an hour before the ceremony as my 5 month pregnant daughter and myself had to move them to where we wanted them right up to photograph time, 15 minutes before the ceremony. We got umbrellas, but not the fans we asked for. They stored the cake in a guest room, the same guest room they sent the guests to for use as a public restroom, which also hadn't been serviced that day. The food was a disgrace, no gloves or proper sanitation or storage visable. Hot food not hot, cold food not cold.The buffet was in a musty smelling garage with no air conditioning and just thrown on a makeshift table, not presented with garnishes, tiers, etc. No rolls made it to the table, not water or the peach tea and coffee that was supposed to be served. Joe shut down the reception an hour earlier than was on the 'timeline' of events he agreed to. He grabbed a bridesmaid's arm when she plugged in a radio she was given permission to use and insulted her. Joe wasn't 'working' the wedding, land he wasn't a guest, but he mingled with everyone, staring at different woman and then sitting at the entrance to the reception with his shirt open and his belly out which wasn't a pretty or appropriate sight. The Bride's father paid for food and drinks that were to be served at an 'after party' but nothing showed up. Joe 'chaperoned' it for the 'minumum' 2 hours he changed it to when we arrived, and then wouldn't let guests staying there back into the Inn. He also charged an extra $150/hr. for this 'service'. I have a feeling the remainer of what the Bride's father paid for is now in the 'Owners Cabinet' and if you arrive and they offer you a glass of wine, the Bride's father probably paid for it, but trust me, you'll be charged. We were! The whole affair was a nightmare of problems and bordered on the absurd and ludicrious. Letters have gone out to the BBB, Board of Health and various B&B/Hotel Agencies,etc. Basically, my daughter, the Bridesmaids and myself did the work the Bride's father paid Joe McDonough to do. We actually 'made' the wedding happen, no thanx to the B&B. It's sad since it's a lovely place, but they are NOT equipped to do a wedding. Either that or they refuse to cut into the profits to hire help to do a professional job. I'm sure by not hiring help Joe's profit was better, but I certainly wouldn't recommend such an establishment to anyone.This also didn't come cheap. My accommodations alone were over $2000 for the weekend for myself, my husband and 4 other guests, and that didn't even include 'breakfast' since we weren't in the 'main house' but one of their condos one house over. I could go on and on, but frankly I'm tired of remembering how bad it all was and choose to just concentrate on the beautiful ceremony the kids had, the good time our family and close friends MADE happen DESPITE Joe McDonough. I will say it wasn't the way I envisioned 'enjoying' my son's wedding after all the months of detailed planning. But I do feel it my responsibility to let people know what a hoax this place is and what an eerie feeling you get with Joe lurking everywhere around corners, etc. So, maybe for a night or 2, just don't make the mistake we did of booking an event, especially a wedding ... you can't believe a thing they tell you.

• Stayed June 2006
BB&BSt.Simons, Owner at Beach Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, November 17, 2006
It has recently come to our attention that this review was posted about our inn on www.tripadvisor.com. We did have a problem with these guests, who damaged furniture, smoked in the non-smoking rooms, and refused to vacate although we requested several times that they leave due to other guest arrivals that afternoon.

Since our opening over four years ago, we have served over 5,800 guests in our six suites. With the rarest of exceptions, we have received nothing but accolades. In fact, over 38% have been repeat guests that continue to patronize our Inn as a result of great experiences. Our guests have invited over 6,000 of their family members and close friends here for weddings, family reunions, birthday parties and other special events.

This review made several accusations and statements that are severe and quite frankly, untrue and potentially defamatory. While I understand that perception is reality, I do feel it is necessary to state that neither my staff nor I agree with the majority of these allegations. This perception, however, is indeed regrettable. We are using this complaint as an opportunity to better examine our operations, as we are always open to suggestions for improvement.

A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2006

My wife and I had our families stay here for our wedding in 04. The innkeeper was rude to my family and guests. They booked an event at the inn while we were at our rehearsal dinner. There was also a "misunderstanding" on where the food was coming from and two days before the wedding we were told that we would be charged $700 more because we were bringing our own food. When we had tables and chairs delivered for the reception the innkeeper told the delivery men to leave and my soon to be father in law had to track the company down hours before the wedding to locate and set up for the event. To this day my wife and I look back at our wedding with some sadness because of the way we were treated. To top it off my father-in-law was charged a hefty gratuity on the bill. But hey the bedrooms do have a nice view.

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2005

Gourgous views of the Atlantic ocean and of coastal Georgia. Also, my husband went fishing and cought a redfish and 3 flounder to make it a great day. Joe went out of his way for us, as well as his staff. We would wake up and enjoy pancakes, fresh fruit, eggs and beacon, and of coarse coffee just to name a few. We flew into Jaxsonville airport. A short drive from Savanah or Jaxsonville, it is a quite and laidback place to spend a couple of days.

• Stayed April 2004, traveled on business

Been to Beach Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!