“AWESOME!! Best meal all week!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Cuisines: Seafood, Eclectic, Bar, Oyster Bar
Good for: Local cuisine, Outdoor seating
Dining options: Late Night
Description: We're a casual, family friendly restaurant with contemporary coastal American cuisine. Follow us on Facebook & Instagram!
ROME
“AWESOME!! Best meal all week!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

This little hole in the wall is fabulous!! We were in SSI for a week on business and just when I was giving up on finding good food (See other reviews), I followed a TripAdvisor recommendation and tried this place. Went back TWICE in two days and would have gone a third had we not been across the island at dinner. The crab cakes are INCREDIBLE!! You simply MUST start with that (or oysters). I had their spinach salad with grilled mahi and poppyseed vinaigrette. So flipping good, I had the EXACT same thing the next night. My friend had grilled shrimp over salad. It was excellent also. But on night two, she had the grilled mahi basket with the bacon wrapped green beans. People, hear me now, GET THE GREEN BEANS!! Absolutely fantastic! Their grilled salmon with pesto is a specialty. If you like an adventuresome drink, get the Wobbly Roger. It is coke mixed with cherry moonshine garnished with an angry cherry which is a cherry soaked in the moonshine. My hand to God, you will not feel your tongue afterward. And then there was Nicky's Hard Fruit Punch. Woo! Our most favorite place, by far.

Macon, Georgia
“A new favorite”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

We really have enjoyed this new place. Our picks-crab cake blt and bacon wrapped green beans. The staff is always friendly and the atmosphere is perfectly beachy. A great date night.

Visited June 2014
“SSI another great place ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

We've been lucky with all of our visits to St. Simons and we've found a new spot to enjoy in the Half Shell ... Jaicee was our server
and was just great. How great is it to get a server that knows the food makes suggestions, and really cares that you have a great time. Food and service both were just spot on! Crab Trap has always been
On our list and now Half Shell will be one of our benchmarks for SSI
Cocktails rocked and several great drafts on tap.
Thanks for a great meal out. Check out our pictures ...

Roswell, Georgia
“Huge dissapointment”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

This is a bar with some food not really a restaurant, in fairness the oysters and soup were good but the entrees were not good. I had the 'fresh catch' Cobia encrusted in Almond blah blah .. it was fried fish and flavorless at that, I even asked for the healthiest option and got a plate of fried fish. My wife had a caesar salad with shrimp. We both left most of the food.
If you want bar food this place is fine, but if you are going out for a nice meal go elsewhere.

• Visited July 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
rankchef, Owner at The Half Shell, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Thank you for choosing to dine with us and taking the time to review our restaurant. We are truly disappointed that you did not enjoy your dining experience, however we disagree with your assessment that we’re “a bar with some food not really a restaurant.” Though the bar is a focal point in the front dining room, we are a restaurant first and try to maintain a family friendly atmosphere.

The blah blah you of which you spoke was our dinner special, Pecan Fried Corvina with a Buttermilk Dill Cream. It was one of our most popular specials that week. Again, I am apologetic that you did not care for it. If you were seeking a healthier option, the Catch of the Day, either grilled or blackened, with steamed broccoli and sautéed veggies would have been a better choice.

I stopped by your table shortly after you received and had started eating your entrees, yet you nor your wife spoke no words of discontent to me. I would have gladly rectified the situation, but now I can offer only words in return.

Again, thank you for your review, and we would greatly appreciate the opportunity to change your opinion.
Brunswick, Georgia
“Great outdoor dinner!!! ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

We had a great time at the patio! Food was great, the burger with an egg was awesome, and the crap soup was good too and service was on point. The ambiance was perfect, music, lighting, and seems like they arranged the weather as was perfect too!