“Lovely Inn- lots of charm” 4 of 5 stars

500 Mallory Street, Saint Simons Island, GA 31522   |
Special Rate
$99 (USD)
Atlanta, Georgia
“Lovely Inn- lots of charm”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2009

We stayed three nights at the Village Inn after getting married on neighboring Jekyll Island last summer. My parents have a house on St. Simons so I am down there all the time but my husband and I wanted some place nice and private to spend our first few nights as a married couple. The Village Inn was perfect for us. It's a very charming place with lots of character and nicely decorated rooms (good bedding, nice bathrooms). There is a small pool (chilly!) but quite pretty with lots of old trees with Spanish moss around the courtyard. Our room had a small balcony overlooking the pool area where it was very nice to sip our wine in the afternoon. As others have noted, the Pub at the Inn is a great, cozy place to grab a drink. I go there everytime I'm in St. Simons which is about 6 times a year. I can see where certain rooms near the pub could be a little noisy at night- particularly on summer nights in the weekend, the Pub gets a decent crowd that spills out into the pool courtyard that most of the rooms face. Our room was on the second floor at the far end of the property so we didn't have a problem. The Village Inn is located in , you guessed it, "the Village" with plenty of shops and restaurants to walk too. You have to drive or bike to the beach- only about 1.5 miles which is not a big deal- especially b/c you can just rent beach chairs once you get there. If you're looking for a place with some ambiance, not just another beach resort hotel room, this is the place for you!

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Kingsport, TN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2009

My husband and I stayed here the last weekend of February 2009 - just before the in-season rates took effect. This Inn reminds me of a European B&B - small rooms and baths and no elevators. The check-in process was fast but the clerk was not very friendly and she went thru the list of dos and don'ts (mostly don'ts) without any humor. There was no offer of help with luggage. The only contact we had with staff personnel after check in was when I went in the office to ask about a restaurant recommendation and was waved off as she was too busy to help me. We were on the second floor in a room with 2 balconies next to the street - not very nice view but we enjoyed being able to sit outside since the weather was nice.

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a quiet place. They have a large crowd on Thursday and Friday nights in the pub because of "live" entertainment and it's very noisy.

On the plus side, the Inn is a short walk to restaurants and shopping in the small village.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2008

A friend and I stayed here for one night in mid-October on a trip up the Georgia coast. The Inn looks nice and is conveniently located to a small shopping district near the pier. We enjoyed the $3 drinks at the bar in the evening and the Inn also had live music that evening. Breakfast was fine. We had a room facing the pool and the noise in the courtyard definitely carried a bit. We appreciated the ceiling fan in the room. I do think that the weekend prices are too steep for the accommodations offered, but the weeknight ones are probably reasonable.

• Liked — the hotel looks nice and was very clean
  • Disliked — the noise from the courtyard/pool area
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2008

Don't let their "awards" fool you - since it dates back to 2003 ... When I've made the reservation by phone, the staff was extremely impatient and used the Lords name in vain not knowing I could hear her. The room was also small and the overall staff was very unfriendly. I regret paying extra to have access to a balcony since it looked out on a "flowerbed" of dirt and a DairyQueen with a dumpster!

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Greenville, SC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2008

I have been on SSI many times over the past two years. I have frequented the pub at The Village Inn and found it enjoyable. However, when I finally was able to stay at this charming inn, I was disappointed. I booked a room with two beds for me and a friend. I entered the room and was shocked at how small it was. So I checked out the bathroom thinking it might be spacious. But again disappointed. You could just about use the toilet and take a shower at the same time. The service staff was not particularly helpful or friendly which is a real shame because they have got THE location and THE property to turn this into a real gem.

I recommend that you do not stay on the first floor as I could hear the guests upstairs much too clearly thru the vents.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — small rooms
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Lancaster, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2008

Stayed one night at Village Inn and really enjoyed it. Quiet & comfortable. Live entertainment in the pub Sunday night.
Breakfast more than adequate.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Small room with a queen bed
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
jacksonville, alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2008

I got married on St. Simon's Island at the Chapel at Epworth by the Sea. Our extended families stayed at the Village Inn and Pub for the wedding weekend. We had about 10 of the 28 rooms at the inn reserved for the wedding weekend. Everything was great!
The staff was very friendly and went out of their way to accommodate every request we had. Saturday night they ran out of roll away beds so they gave us a free room. Sunday morning
we hosted a brunch for my guests by the pool and they found an extra table and had it set up for me first thing Sunday morning. They supplied plates and forks and serving utensils and even insisted they clean up for me when we finished. The pub did get crowded and sometimes noisy at night, but it added to the fun atmosphere of the weekend and if you wanted to sleep all you had to do was turn your ac unit on the "on" "fan" position and you couldn't hear any of the outside noise. Based on the other reviews I worried about the noise at night but it absolutely was not a problem for any of us. The inn is ideally located in the historic oceanfront village so you can walk just a few blocks to the pier, the beach, great restaurants, and shops. Recommended restaurants are: Mullet Bay, Georgia Sea Grill (we had our wedding lunch here and it was superb...great food, great staff). St. Simons Island is the kind of place that grows on you, and when you leave you find yourself wishing you were there. Be ready for a laid back, relaxing vacation. Spend an afternoon exploring Jekyll Island. I can't wait to go back......

• Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Village Inn and Pub? Share your experiences!