“Clean and comfortable but, location is not all that great.” 4 of 5 stars

You added Island Inn to your Saves list
Island Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   301 Main Street, Saint Simons Island, GA 31522   |
Perry, Georgia
“Clean and comfortable but, location is not all that great.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

You have to drive to everything. I was in room 108, corner on the front. Bed was comfy but pillows were awful. They were small square couch throw pillows. Took all four to make a decent pillow. I really didn't have a problem with the room. I wouldn't stay there again just because of location.

• Stayed February 2013
ssiresorts, General Manager at Island Inn, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Thank you so much for your review of our property, the Island Inn on St. Simons. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. We appreciate your comments about our bedding amenities and will certainly consider them when making decisions for future improvements. As you noted, our property is a bit tucked away from the main commercial area of St. Simons. We are pleased to offer our guests the comforts of home in a quiet environment away from the traffic, yet we are still close enough to all of the major attractions and a quick five minute drive from the beaches. Please contact us if you are in the area again...perhaps we can offer a pool-side room with a view? Again, thanks for taking the time to review our hotel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Athens, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

I booked four rooms for GA/FLA weekend and needed to cancel one of them. I was told by an employee when I booked the rooms that I could cancel 24 hours in advance. I wasn't sure if I needed the last room but I booked it because I knew that I could still cancel it. I called on Tuesday (2 days before) trying to cancel it and I was told I needed to talk to a manager. I talked to the manager the next day and she was incredibly rude and kept claiming that I was told I needed to cancel 72 hours in advance when I was told 24 hours. She refused to understand what I was saying and said she was charging me anyway. I understand the policy but was misinformed by an employee. The manager was very rude about this and I will certainly never do business with the Island Inn again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
ssiresorts, General Manager at Island Inn, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
BulldawgJ,
Thank you for reviewing our hotel policies, specifically, our cancellation penalties. Your group booked four rooms with our hotel on August 27th for a stay with us during GA/FL weekend. Our hotel policies were given to your party at the time of booking. Special event weekends carry a 72 hour (3 day) cancellation policy at our hotel.

Full payment is required on all reservations inside the cancellation window for special event weekends. We are sorry that your plans and booking needs have changed; our hotel has still prepared four rooms based on your reservation requests for your arrival during this event.

We do our best to make exceptions to hotel policies, including cancellation penalties, in medically related and emergency situations. As a gesture of goodwill, our hotel did offer to let someone else take over your fourth reservation. Your group is responsible for finding someone else to take over this room.

We look forward to your visit with us. Please let us know how we can assist with changing your fourth reservation.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012 via mobile

This is an older place. Some would call it charming or quirky. At the end of a cul de sac it's quiet and out of the way. Why its called Main Street I cant imagine. Some people will like the location, others won't. With a car its just minutes away from the action, without a car you probably wouldn't be here to begin with. You probably won't be walking to many places from here. My biggest gripe is no wifi in the rooms. There are wired computer outlets in the rooms but thats not helpful with an ipad. There is wifi in the lobby and dining room, so you're not totally disconnected. Some people will hate this but others could feel liberated by it. There is a colony of feral cats out back and as mentioned in some of the other reviews, some folks are totally creeped out by them. My daughter and I found them kind of cool and quirky. If you work at it you can smell them ..... or maybe it was just the dumpster.
The pool area is really nice. The price is reasonable for the area. The man at the desk had good recommendations and gave good directions. He was friendly and helpful. This is not a new cookie cutter type place. It's slightly funky with character.

• Stayed August 2012
ssiresorts, General Manager at Island Inn, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Thank you for your recent review of our property, Island Inn on St. Simons. As your review noted, we are definitely not your cookie cutter type of hotel and we enjoy being able to offer our guests a different experience on St. Simons.

Our wireless internet access is available in all public spaces of the hotel, conference center, and lobby. We are looking into expanding this service to our guest rooms, but in the meantime, offer wired access to our guests. Our property is part of Plantation Village Association; this area participates in a safe trap/spay-neuter program for a feral cat colony with surrounding neighbors. We have found this program to be successful in helping us to maintain a small and healthy feral cat colony. This is a continuous program as the wild cat problem exists all over the island.

We hope to see you again soon and are happy that you enjoyed the charm of our property. Thank you.
Athens, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

I visit the Island Inn (formerly the Best Western) once a year on business. There have been ZERO upgrades to the rooms in several years. (The bathrooms were renovated a few years ago). The beds are old and hard as a rock. In addition, they quoted me one price on the telephone but tried to charge me a higher rate when I arrived. Fortunately, management remedied the billing issue later in my stay and honored the orininal rate that they quoted over the phone. The one bright spot is the breakfast. Although not great, it is better than one would ordinarily expect from a place like this. The main reason I stay at the Island Inn is price - it's inexpensive relatively speaking. If you are looking for a nice place to stay, find other accomodations.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
UGADawg55, we appreciate your continued patronage of our establishment and continued reviews of our property. As we have previously mentioned in your reviews, we do strive to make improvements at our hotel each year in an effort to stay competitive. The Island Inn is proud to offer affordable accommodations to all travelers and will continue to do so.

We are sorry to hear that our improvements from 2011-2012 did not meet your standards and hope that you will afford us another opportunity to serve you in the future. We look forward to your next visit with us and next review of our property. Please feel free to contact the hotel directly; we would be happy to discuss your concerns.
pittsburgh pa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012 via mobile

Found this quaint motel by chance and we were pleasantly surprised. The pool is just as pretty as the photo. The hot tub was not working but not missed. It is in a very quiet location and while older it had comfort and charm. Never having been to this wonderful island we had many questions and found the staff very helpful. Call the hotel to book directly as it was the same price quoted on Expedia. As per the comment on the many cats that was noticed in the parking lot but not on the grounds and it certainly is not the fault of the hotel.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your recent review of our hotel, Island Inn, on St. Simons. We are happy that you chose to stay with us while on St. Simons! We are a unique hotel property and are thrilled that you found us a charming and quiet location. We hope to see you again soon...as your review mentioned, please call us directly...we would be happy to honor any quoted rate at the hotel. You can also book with us at islandinnstsimons.com. See you soon!
New Orleans, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

Our family occupied 4 rooms for 5 nights. Alphnoso made us feel welcome from check-in to check-out. The rooms were clean and comfortable. Even the grounds were well kept.The entire staff was very accommodating and knowledgeable of the local places to visit. Because we had a large enough group the Tour Trolley picked us up from the hotel. There is much to do within walking distance from the hotel. The continental breakfast was minimal but sufficient. We were pleased with the cost of our stay. The only difficulty was poor cell phone connections.

Room Tip: Connecting rooms is good for family with kids
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

Quiet location, near the entrance of the island. No longer owned by Best Western but same beautiful private pool area with a hot tub in the gazebo. Decent breakfast with hot items such as eggs and sausage or bacon and biscuits and gravy. I was disappointed that duribg our stay our suite wasn't cleaned once; I certainly hope that's not the norm as I've always liked the hotel; the staff was pretty non-responsive to our complaints of loud noise at the pool, well after midnight and the drunken party going on in and outside of the conference center and the lack of room cleaning. :( i do hope service improves.

• Stayed July 2012
ssiresorts, Manager at Island Inn, responded to this review, July 18, 2012
Thank you Joy P for your review of our property. We are typically a quiet location as your review is entitled and strive to offer all guests the comforts of home. We will address your issues noted about housekeeping service and apologize if this caused an inconvenience during your stay with us. Our hotel strives to meet the needs of all guests at the property; we are sincerely sorry that the class reunion booked at the hotel disrupted your visit. Our staff tried their best to address the situation at the time, but we will certainly note your comments to make improvements for the future. We hope to see you again soon. Thank you for your comments.

Been to Island Inn? Share your experiences!