“Pleasant staff, hotel needs work” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express St. Simon's Island

You added Holiday Inn Express St. Simon's Island to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express St. Simon's Island
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   299 Main Street, Plantation Village, Saint Simons Island, GA 31522   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Annapolis, Maryland
“Pleasant staff, hotel needs work”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012 via mobile

After reading several reviews here, I was nervous about my stay, but it was a reward night so I was unable to cancel. The check in was smooth as they had my requested room pre- assigned. Upon entering the room there was a moldy, musty smell as well as the temperature being quite warm. I turned on the AC and then we had to leave the room because it was so uncomfortable. I informed the very sweet front desk gentleman who said the room had not been rented the night before so the AC was not on. My husband and I went out to enjoy the sunset at the lighthouse and pier which was a very beautiful area. Upon our return to the room, it had cooled down and the smell had subsided. In the middle of the night, I woke up to the sound of running water by the AC unit and went over to turn it off. I was surprised to walk into a sopping wet carpet all around the unit. That is why the smell. I informed the front desk manager who was very pleasant and she said they would check the drain pain and thanked me for letting her know. The bed was VERY firm as noted on previous reviews, but otherwise it had comfy pillows and the room was quiet (other than the water running over). 20,00 points was a lot to use on this location.

• Stayed August 2012
ssiresorts, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express St. Simon's Island, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
Thank you KebbieK for your recent review of the Holiday Inn Express St. Simons. We appreciate your patronage of our establishment and hope to see you again in the future. Thank you for bringing the issues with the air conditioning unit in your accommodations to our attention; we hope that we were able to resolve the situation to your satisfaction.

Priority club members receive several benefits at our hotel: upgrades when available, no blackout dates, and reward night availability to name a few. Reward night point levels are determined by the priority club corporate office; part of the determinations take into account location and average daily rate at each establishment.

We hope that you will allow us another opportunity to serve you. Thank you for your comments and again, thank you for staying with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Danville, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

We stayed at this hotel last year and it was pretty comfortable - nothing fabulous, but okay. This year we had to ask to have a new shower curtain; the old one was falling apart. My husband took a shower and was finished with his towel; he turned the towel over and it was filthy on the opposite side. I immediately took it to the front desk; the clerk apologized and said she would turn this into the manager the next morning. We never heard another thing about this incident. We love St. Simon's and the location of the hotel, but this time it left a bad taste in our mouth. We will return to St. Simon's, but will find a new hotel

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express St. Simon's Island, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
Dear LadyDolph40,

We thank you for writing about your experience at our hotel. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to be the best hotel around. It’s very upsetting to us that you found your stay to be less than satisfactory. I am sorry for the inconveniences you encountered due to the condition of the bathroom and amenities as well as hotel staff services received. Your review will be used to reconsider improvements needed and I hope that you can give us a chance to show what we have done.

Thank you for staying with us and we hope you would give us another opportunity to make your stay as best as it can be.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHG Care
Atlanta, GA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

In town for continuing education at a nearby resort. The resort was sold out of rooms. HI Express was conveniently located and usually a consistent choice so I stayed there last night. I arrived late at night and just wanted to catch some sleep before my meeting. I set my bag on the floor and proceeded to prepare to turn in for the night. I went to get something out of my bag and out from under it ran a GIANT roach. Saw several other roaches scurrying across carpet. Ewww! Needless to say, I did not sleep well as I had dreams about roaches climbing up the walls. It didnt help that the bed was also hard and uncomfortable.
The rest of the room was not filthy, but not exactly clean. There was some kind of dried goop on the TV stand. The bathroom was adequate but had some annoying features. The toilet was located very close to the tub and doorway. It was impossible to sit on toilet without entering and closing door behind you. I usually have to 'go' in the night and this made it difficult to do without turning on light (making it even more difficult to go back to sleep, roaches aside). Breakfast was what you would expect from a budget hotel--nothing to write home about. Breakfast area looked clean but I was reluctant to take anything not pre-packaged since I was aware of the roach infestation.
Hotel is in decent location, but in need of updating and professional pest control. I found availability elsewhere (The King and Prince). There are several better choices than this HI Express!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
ssiresorts, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express St. Simon's Island, responded to this review, July 18, 2012
Thank you ponydoc for your review of our hotel. We are sincerely sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. We would like to assure you and others that our hotel maintains a regular professional pest control service; we will certainly discuss your review with the company and have them treat appropriately. As a Holiday Inn Express property, we strive to offer our guests the comforts and conveniences of home as a limited service establishment. Again, we are sorry that our property did not meet your needs and appreciate your time reviewing our hotel. We will address the pest control issues noted. Thank you.
Sarasota, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

This hotel, in a resort area, is well below standard. No refrigerator, no microwave, no dvd player. Swimming pool has no shade, no awnings or umbrellas.Place is clean, breakfast is good. Not suitable for an extended stay in a resort island.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express St. Simon's Island, responded to this review, July 11, 2012
Thank you for your comments about the Holiday Inn Express on St. Simons Island. We sincerely apologize that you did not feel our hotel is up to standards. Our King Executive rooms offer refrigerators and microwaves for guests. We will be happy to check availability for this room type for a future stay; we hope that you will afford us an opportunity to serve you in the future. We do appreciate your comments noting that our property provides a clean environment and good breakfast and hope that you return to see us again soon.
Knoxville, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

The hotel was an average hotel, the beds are not comfortable, NO water pressure when taking showers the pool is small and NO hot tub. Breakfast was just ok. The front desk clerk was very helpful and offered us bottled water and snacks. Great for one night maybe two, but spend a little extra and stay closer to the ocean if you can!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express St. Simon's Island, responded to this review, July 5, 2012
Our hotel would like to thank Rebecca T for her comments about a stay at the Holiday Inn Express St. Simons. Thank you for your business with us; we hope that you will return for a quick trip soon. Our hotel is located off of Demere Road, at a good midpoint on the island, but as the review notes, we are not on the ocean. The Holiday Inn Express offers competitive rates and generally meets the needs of business and leisure travellers alike. As a resort area, St. Simons offers many extended stay condominiums closer to the beach. Rates are typically higher than what our property offers, but may be well-suited for an extended stay leisure traveller that wants that type of location. Thank you for the comments about our hotel; we do hope that we have another opportunity to serve you in the future.
Hinesville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

I stayed at this hotel this past weekend and loved it. The staff was very friendly and I think the front desk clerk name was abby, she was wonderful..She told me a great resturant Mullet Bay to eat at and it was good food. I was there for fun and had my 8 year old daughter with me. We both had a great time and are ready to go back. I just wish the hotel was pet friendly, .conviently located. Great Express Hotel!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express St. Simon's Island, responded to this review, June 28, 2012
Joyce S, thank you for staying with us this past weekend at the Holiday Inn Express St. Simons. We are thrilled that you and your daughter enjoyed your visit to our hotel and to the area. We would be happy to have you stay with us again soon! Perhaps we can recommend other restaurants and activities for kids in the area? Just let us know how we can assist...that's what we are here for! We do accept service animals at our property, but as your comments noted, we do not allow pets. We'd be happy to recommend several boarding establishments in the area for your next visit with us.

Again, thank you for your review on tripadvisor, and we hope to see you again soon!
Tampa, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

At check-in, the friendly attendant provided a map & took time to orientate us to the area. This was a great start but it deteriorated.

The property appears well maintained but in our room (#226) we saw evidence of insect control issues & less than careful room improvements.

We noticed a faint smell of paint. While room improvements are positive, it seems the room was painted with little regard. The bathroom door had to be forced closed & obvious paint strokes were visible.

During our first night, we came across a live moth in the room. We initially dismissed this as a non-issue - it happens. The next morning, there was a live ant crawling around the bathroom floor & dead beetle. During this time, I also found another live flying insect. Later that afternoon, we discovered a live roach in the “fresh” towel on the bathroom counter. Before departing, there was another live crawling insect in the vanity area.

It may natural to encounter ONE insect but to come across multiple insects is concerning & leads us to question the true cleanliness of the hotel.

I submitted these very comments via a survey nearly a month ago. I still have yet to receive any type of reply. We typically stay in Hilton brand hotels (Hampton Inns, Hilton Garden Inns,etc.) and receive immediate replys to our survey comments - whether positive or not. Only once did we have less than positive experience at a Hilton hotel. I simply indicated the desk agent was slightly curt - but the hotel was certainly clean - and they offered us a free stay to show their "true colors" in customer service! After this Holiday Inn experience, our loyalty will lie with Hilton.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Our property would like to express heartfelt thanks to this reviewer that mentioned several issues about her recent stay with us. Comments about a stay, whether positive or negative, allow us to make improvements for future guests. We are sincerely sorry, especially for the pest control issues that were realized, and would like to assure this guest that her comments did not go unnoticed. We have revisited our monthly pest control service and have completely replaced the bathroom door and executed a full-scale paint project in the facilities. It is unfortunate that we did not hear of these issues until after your departure and would like to apologize for not being able to address the situation during your stay. We pride ourselves on offering a comfortable environment, clean guest rooms, and superior customer service starting with check-in and continuing throughout your stay. Again, thank you for your comments. Our hotel will be in touch on a more personal level.

Been to Holiday Inn Express St. Simon's Island? Share your experiences!