“Great atmosphere for relaxing” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Eclectic
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Atlanta, Georgia
“Great atmosphere for relaxing”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

Blue Water is probably our "Go-To" place for dinner on the island. It is very friendly, very relaxing, and overlooks the pier and ocean which we love to watch. We've always enjoyed our dinners there. Most recently, and often, we ordered salads with fish on them, and they're just great. It always makes for a very pleasant dining experience. And it always seems to have a whole host of locals enjoying one another, which we think speaks so well for it.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Newport News, Virginia
“The Blue Water”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

While on St. Simon’s Island, GA, we had time to eat lunch at “The Blue Water”. This restaurant is near the pier on the northwest corner of the island. It proclaims “where nothing is overlooked but the ocean!” While I would proclaim something else, The restaurant does have a lot of glass facing the direction of the ocean. And the pictures on its website do show “blue” but there are a lot of palm trees and buildings between the second story restaurant and the ocean. Even the pier is difficult to see from some of the window seats.

But we went for the food, to get out of the heat, and enjoy the “view”.

The Blue Water offers, appetizers, soups, salads, sandwiches, meats, poultry, seafood, and authentic Mexican (food).

Our party ordered the following: Islander Salad (to be shared), and separate Classic Cuban sandwiches, . The Islander Salad has mixed greens, walnuts, red onions, tomatoes, crispy corn chips and two cheeses topped w/fried, grilled, or blackened chicken. Fried shrimp can be added for a $2 upcharge.

The Classic Cuban was very close to the real Cuban sandwiches of Ybor City (Tampa, FL), but it was not the same. The sandwich has the roasted pork, ham, swiss cheese and dill strips on Cuban bread. The bread was not the classic Cuban bread. Classic Cuban bread is not French bread. Neither is it similar to any other “loaf” bread. Cuban bread is crusted, fluffy in the center (lots of holes), yeasted, white flour bread. The loaves are general about three feet long (the sandwiches are not that long). Other than the big difference in bread the sandwich was very delicious.

The ambiance for lunch is very relaxed. The lunch crowd was not standing room only, but you could tell that most were enjoying the food, company of friends, and the relaxed atmosphere.

It’s a place that would be good to return and enjoy another lunch.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Florida
“Best cole slaw I have ever tasted”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

You must go upstairs to dine with any sort of view of the ocean, and 2/3 of the view is blocked by a building. Interesting decor with fish, oars, etc on walls and hanging from the ceiling.

I had the seafood platter with the catch of the day (that day it was flounder), shrimp, and clam strips. It was lightly battered and cooked perfectly, in addition, the best cole slaw I have ever tasted. It was slightly sweet with a hint of apple flavor, amazing. My wife had the Lobster roll which was served like a " po boy" with large chuncks of lobster in a very tasty sauce. The fries were fresh cut potatoes and fried just right! I would eat there aging tomorrow!!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Jacksonville, Florida
“Not a good night”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014 via mobile

Tonight was not a good night. Management verbal attacked me for food that was not good. And then forced me to pay for it. I did not eat and I won't be back. Not a better business!

• Visited February 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Saint Simons Island, Georgia
“Not worth your time and ownership morally bankrupt”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

Full disclosure: I'm a local.

I've only ever been to Bluewater for drinks, and only when I have people in town I am trying to give a pretty view. The drinks are expensive, as you'd expect in a tourist based place. And I always got a feeling of coldness from the staff, but figured they were just used to dealing with tourists and not having to bother to get to know people.

Being in the area, you hear things, and one of the things I hear over and over about this place is the prejudice - mostly based on gender , ethnicity, and tattoos - the owners have for anyone that doesn't fit their ideal version of customer. They will ignore tables, close early, or straight throw you out if they can find an excuse to avoid serving someone they think of as "less than". And it's something I keep hearing about, enough times and from enough sources it disturbs me. I'm taking my business elsewhere, and I really think everyone else should too.

Avoid this place. There are plenty of other great places on the island - with views, even - that aren't owned by terrible people.

• Visited February 2013