K&P is a mixed bag of a resort - some historic hotel, some 1980's, beach-facing hotel rooms (already renovated), some condos from a couple of different decades, some free standing cabins/houses. The historic buildings of the resort are undergoing needed renovations, but as we did not stay in this portion I can only recommend spending some time in this part of the resort, enjoying the indoor pool or bar/restaurant, or the beautiful, "old school" common places.
Looking for a quick overnight Valentine treat (with some sun and warmer weather!), my husband and I stayed in an ocean facing room in the building adjacent to the oldest part of the resort. These rooms seem to have been updated a few years back, were spacious and clean, had a very comfortable bed, plenty of towels, good toiletries (Gilchrist and Soames), a seating area with love seat, work/dining table and 2 chairs, and plenty of lamps/lighting. It also offers a mini fridge, in room safe, pod coffee maker with Starbucks (regular and decaf), and Tazo teas. The room has a private balcony (with 2 chairs) overlooking the outdoor pools and beyond that the ocean. We found the room quiet even though it was beside the ice-maker and elevator - keep in mind, though, this is their "off" season and we both sleep with ear-plugs!
The only negatives I found were that the sheets are worn (small holes, rust stains), the upholstery is a bit stained (ugh) in places, the furniture is showing edge wear, and the balcony could use a little more cleaning attention - but none of this to the extent of being a "deal breaker." They might want to offer training to the shuttle drivers and concierge, as well. Whereas everyone was courteous, their customer service skills are lacking. The van drivers offered no luggage assistance, door opening, etc. The concierge could not break herself away from her IPad/email/internet, and seemed to know very little about the King and Prince in general. Sort of strange behavior for a resort, and a little off-putting.
The pool area is beautiful and appears to have a pool bar in season. There are 2 pools separated by landscaping/conversation areas and a foot bridge - one catering to adults and the other with a great kid space (sandy play area, pool from a few inches to a couple of feet) - good solution for everyone to enjoy their areas! All of this is surrounded by nice lounges, free standing porch swings and the Atlantic ocean.
We really enjoyed walking the grounds, reading about the history and finding quiet nooks in the old building - and we are planning to go again in a few weeks for a longer stay. I sincerely hope that the renovations they are doing include restoration of the mosaic floor in the Delegal room, the Compass Rose dance floor, and removing the casino-esque lighting from the lobby. She really is a Grand Dame that deserves her former glory.
K&P is extremely close to the old village of Saint Simons for restaurants and shopping, and to SSI airport/McKinnon Field. For us it's an easy walk to just about anywhere, but there are lots of bike paths and the hotel has an airport shuttle.
We really enjoyed our short stay, and hopefully with the renovations that are underway and just a bit of customer service tweaking, the K&P will continue to get better and better!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This historic ocean front resort on St Simons Island, Georgia features 195 guest rooms in a variety of buildings, room decor and views, including two and three bedroom villas and resort residences. Resort amenities include five oceanfront pools, a challenging 18 hole golf course, massage therapy at the Royal Treatment Cottage, complimentary fitness center, oceanfront dining, two clay tennis courts, Wi-Fi (wireless) technology and the beautiful beachfront of the Golden Isles. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Priceline, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your The King and Prince Beach and Golf Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The King And Prince Beach And Golf Hotel Saint Simons Island
- King And Prince Beach Hotel
- King Prince St Simons
- King And Prince Resort
- King And Prince Beach Resort