“Could I get a little customer service with that ambience please?” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Plan Ahead, Save 15%
Ranked #1 of 18 hotels in Rome
Atlanta, Georgia
“Could I get a little customer service with that ambience please?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

Evening Greeting By Hotel Clerk: “HEY, ARE YALL STAYING HERE?”

Rome Georgia is my home town, and I spent Christmas there this week. I checked into the Hawthorne Suites on Christmas Eve (afternoon). Upon check on, my husband and I were both impressed with the interesting space, and customer service was acceptable. Growing up in Rome, made staying there even more special. The problem was when we returned to our room at 10:00 pm on Christmas Eve Night, We were greeted upon entering the door by a Grench desk clerk who said “HEY, ARE YALL STAYING HERE???" in a very alarming voice, and a nasty look to go with it. Now, it is Christmas. Possibly she did not want to be at work ?? It was getting late (10:00 pm;) maybe she was not used to guests entering so late or Possibly she was just not not accustomed to seeing people of color staying there and thought that we did not look as though we belonged?(even though she was of a person of color) Who knows what was going on through her mind at that time?AIl I do know is that a customer should ever be greeted in this way no matter what the thoughts. The tone did eventually soften and there was a conversation…I recall some type of explanation regarding smokers coming going to that area or something……
My husband and I go to our room which we were pleased with by the way. I wake up at the Hawthorne Suites on Christmas Morning with a phone call from my family informing me that lunch is delayed and they will not be at their home for a few hours’ which means I will need a later check out. I call the front desk to see if the Hawthorne Suites can accommodate me with a late check out. IT IS Christmas after all...The hotel is not full. The young lady on the phone was very nice and says a late checkout is no problem and tells me we can have until 1:30 if we wish. At this point, I may have actually been able to put last night’s bah humbug greeting behind me.
Then the phone rings one hour later. It is Ashley from the front desk, in a not so nice voice, telling me that is past check out time, and I could acquire another charge, and someone is waiting to get in that room….etc..etc..etc...
I calmly tell her that a Hawthorne employee gave me an extended check out till 1:30 so I did not understand the call. She said she had to “VERIFY” my story and the time the clerk game me. Now, to me this is just about the same as accusing me of lying!
Unfortunately, although the location of the Hawthorne Suites, and the ambience were exceptional, I cannot say that I will return or recommend it to any of my friends or family. I am not sure if this type of service is the norm or if the staff just had the holiday blues but Customer Service matters every day of the year… And these are the basics! Not to mention the customer service standards for Georgia and the South are even greater.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
gnhawthorn, Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Rome, responded to this review, December 27, 2013
Thank you for your review on trip advisor. Our customer service here at Hawthorn Suites in Rome is our first priority . I am not sure what happened during your encounter with the front desk however I will be glad to discuss this to see if I can better understand your situation.
Although I am glad you were pleased with our property I am concerned by the fact you got a negative feel from us and more dissapointed that you will not be back to visit. We would like to have you as our guest again in the future so you can enjoy our hospitality.

265 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Rome
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

first room was on a busy street - VERY loud (old windows do not keep noise out). Second room was not a suite and the hotel did not refund the difference in price. Hot water ran out 2/3 way through bath. Carpet was stained.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham

gnhawthorn, Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Rome, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Thank you for wiriting your reviewing and voicing your concerns. We are in the process along with our new addition will be adding different windows that will help ;with the road noise on Second Avenue. In reviewing your reservation it was booked through Expedia for a queen suite. When the front desk offered to move you to another room we did not have any suites available so we moved you to a king room. This room was paid through expedia and not the hotel directly. I hope this room that you were moved to was much quieter for you. We hope you will visit again. If so you may want to mention you wish to have a room in a different location.

Been to Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Rome? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Rome

Address: 100-110 West 2nd Avenue, Rome, GA 30161
Location: United States > Georgia > Rome
Business Center with Internet Access Fitness Center with Gym / Workout Room Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Free Parking Kitchenette Wheelchair access
Ranked #1 of 18 hotels in Rome
Hotel Class:2.5 star — Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Rome 2.5*
This hotel will open in 2004. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Wyndham, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Tingo, Expedia, Despegar.com, Priceline, Venere, Agoda and Otel so you can book your Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Rome reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Hawthorn Suites By Wyndham Rome Hotel Rome
Hawthorn Suites Rome
Rome Hawthorn Suites

If you own or manage Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Rome, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.