“Overall pretty good” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Overall pretty good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

Stayed here this past week for 3 nights on buisness and all in all had a pretty good stay.
Reception staff very welcoming and no problems at check in, waiter/waitress service at evening meal on all 3 days were very good as was the food which I choose each night, with my favorite probably being the fish & chips on the last night with the fish being one of the nicest, flakest pieces I've had in a long time. The grease proof newspaper on the plate was a nice touch.
Breakfast though didn't give the same impression and I choose to skip breakfast on my last morning.
The car park was partially flooded but I didn't have any problems finding a space each evening but it could definately do with a make over to stop guests having to walk over soggy ground in their business suits.
The bridge over the small stream is a nice touch and salted to avoid slipping.
Tv was old and I believe there is a make over under way which will solve this but as I don't really have time to watch tv this wasn't actually a problem.
Used the gym facility and was adequate for what most guests would need (saved going out for a run on the bitterly cold evening we had).
Strangest sign was the please ensure bathroom door is closed as the steam from the shower sets off the smoke detector! Think this probably needs looking at...
Would I stay here if the company wasn't picking up the bill? Yes, but probably would eat out as although the evening meal was lovely could be suggested a little pricey. I definately wouldn't pay for the breakfast.
As I say, all in all was pretty good and who knows the company may book me back in and I wouldn't be disappointed.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
QMHManager, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Reading Moat House, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Mark H,

Thank you for writing a review of you time with us. I’m pleased to read that you enjoyed your time with us and you would happily return. I’m sorry that you didn’t enoy your breakfast but I’m glad that your evening meal made up for this. I hope to welcome you back to our establishment in the near future.

Niall.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Korean first
Manchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

I and my company spend thousands of pounds here every year. I stay on average 20-30 times a year alone.

For the last few months it just isnt what it used to be, i stopped staying at the Madjeski around the corner, due to the great welcome and upgrades available at the Moat House if you increased your points on your 'loyalty card'.

Well, this is my last stay. I'm heading back to the Madjeski! The food in the Moat House has taken a nose dive, into microwaved wetherspoons territory, the welcome (for my 4th time this month) was cold and rushed, OH, and my loyalty card.... 'diamond member'.... you would think i would get something? Yes..... i did, a room downgrade, to a disabled room with a desk to work on smaller than a dinner tray.

And before you ask, "why dont you just complain at reception". - I shouldnt have to. And i will complain, with my feet.

Sorry Moat House, it's back to the Madjeski for me (oh, and i influence where our company use for their main hotel too)

Room Tip: Dont bother with the 'loyalty card'
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Trainer13,

I am sorry to read that you have not enjoyed your recent stays with our hotel. All of your comments have been taken into consideration. I would appreciate the chance to restore your faith in the Best Western Reading Moat House so if you could email your name, room number and date of stay to resident.bwreading@qmh-hotels.com I would be thankful.

Derby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

The hotel was as expected from reading the reviews. It was a very nice clean hotel with an excellent bar area. We were lucky there was a 70's tribute night on the Saturday which was very good.
The breakfast was as the reviews suggested average & the evening meal not great, however the staff were very helpful & friendly.
I would stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Mick P,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I’m pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay (and event) with us. I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Brentwood, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012 via mobile

Firstly there was very suitable disabled access to the foyer which at first glance is up a large flight of stairs, giant tick number 1! The stuff were very helpful and explained facilities and services fully. The rooms were sufficiently spacious, nice looking and very clean. The disabled bathroom was a very good size. The food in the restaurant was absolutely first class and although I have never done it before I would definitely visit there just to eat out!

We were there for a wedding and the food, service and rooms for the wedding events were also very very good.

I dont usually associate best western with the upmarket experience we had at a reasonable price. All in all I would return in a heartbeat.

• Stayed February 2012
QMHManager, Resident Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Reading Moat House, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
DaleREssex,

Thank you for writing such a wonderful review of our hotel and your experience. I’m very pleased to read that you enjoyed your time with us and I’m glad we exceeded your expectations. I will pass your kind words onto our team members and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

I stayed at this hotel as a delegate so I got a good rate for D, B and B.

The rooms are a decent size, mine had a huge double bed. This said, the bed turned out to be two large singles, which was fine with me on my own, but if my husband had been with me we one of us would have ended up sleeping on the seam down the middle, which would have been uncomfortable. Not only that, but the duvet was two smaller ones zipped together, and I could feel the scratchy zip through the duvet covers.

The bathroom was nice and clean and the shower was hot and powerful.

I wasn't impressed with the horrid 'UHT' milk sachets provided in the room, so I ended up using a jug of milk from breakfast and taking it to my room so I could drink a decent cup of tea in bed in the morning.

The food was pretty uninspiring, as I had dinner both on the Friday and Saturday nights and it was almost the same thing both times, and for lunch as well. So by the end of the weekend I was quite glad I wasn't staying any longer.

Also, the chap running the restaurant was quite abrupt at times and at one point told me that I couldn't sit in one area of the restaurant as it was reserved 'for hotel guests' to which I replied I was a hotel guest! Thankfully later on in the weekend this soon stopped and we could sit where we wanted.

The TV in the bedroom was almost useless, as the signal was so poor and picture quality so bad that it wasn't worth watching.

The free wifi was very sketchy. Don't rely on it if you need to make calls using Skype or Facetime or much work via the internet. The signal was constantly dropping out, and I kept having to go and get a new passkey every 24hrs which they don't tell you at reception when you ask for it initially. (I was there for 3 days so it did get a little annoying.)

It was quiet at night, the temperature in the room was good as I was able to adjust it myself using a panel on the wall, and so I slept well both nights.

On it's website this hotel says it's an AA 4 star rating. To be honest I expected better. They need to get decent TVs with proper signal if they are going to offer this service, and improve the bed and bedding situation in the double rooms, get better wifi provision, better food and nicer milk in the rooms.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Stephthestar,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your time with us. I will be sure to take your comments for further consideration so I can discuss them with our hotel team. We use the UHT milk because it doesn’t need to be stored in a fridge which makes it safer for our guests who are staying for a long time. We are also currently in the process of upgrading our televisions throughout the hotel.

surrey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I used this hotel due to the position close to Nirvana Spa where I was spending a day with friends.
I also have never stayed in a Best Western so thought it would be interesting to see how it compared to other hotel chains.
Reception was fine although couldn't get us rooms together as requested and didn't offer to book us into the restaurant when we said we would like evening meal. The rooms were clean and comfortable and quiet. We choose our menu from the room but found when we eventually got seated in the restaurant that our choice was no longer available. We walked round the corner to the Poachers Inn, a pub attached to the hotel where we ate a basic pub meal. Admittedly very quiet but not a brilliant atmosphere. Staff couldn't wait to go home and put chairs up on tables all around us. For a large chain hotel I would have thought they would have noticed we still had wine in our bottles and offered to take us through to the hotel lounge so that they could close up!
Breakfast was nice when we eventually got it but I absolutely hate having to queue for tea/coffee, toast machine and food that was replenished eventually but we had to stand around like lemons with half a cooked breakfast on our plate. I think that the least that could have been done is tea/coffee/toast served at the table. There were plenty of staff but no one ever asked if everything was OK. and they seemed quite disorganised as tables were not cleared and no coffee cups or teapots etc.In their defence it was quiet busy, but don't you know how many people you will be catering for?
Generally the stay was average but breakfast was certainly not the relaxed event it should be when you are away for a restful weekend. I was quite disappointed as I have heard good reports about Great Western but I certainly would opt for a different chain next time in Reading.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Wanttotravellots,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. I’m sorry to read that your first stay with us was not the best that we try to extend to our guests. Your comments have been taken on board and will be discussed further. In the meantime I would appreciate the chance to restore your faith in BEST WESTERN Reading. If you could email your name, room number and date of stay to resident.bwreading@qmh-hotels.com I would be grateful.

West Sussex
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012 via mobile

We stayed 1 Saturday night following some shopping in Reading and visiting some friends that lived locally. Ideally placed for us. Rooms were very comfortable, with all the usual requirements although tv was an old 14 inch portable which did not have great reception and is a bit old fashioned these days. Staff all very helpful and friendly. All areas very clean throughout. Breakfast was the usual. Nothing over exciting but just what you need to get going and plenty of choice. Would visit here again as reasonably priced and comfortable.

• Stayed November 2012
QMHManager, Resident Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Reading Moat House, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
LinnyWestSussex,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your time with us. I’m pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and would return to us. I am pleased to inform you that all of our televisions are currently being updated to plasma screens. This is due for completion in the next few weeks. I’m glad our team members were professional and attentive throughout your stay.

Niall.

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Reading Moat House? Share your experiences!