“would recommend” 5 of 5 stars

Activities: Camping
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Home of the best preserved earthwork fortification of the Confederacy, this coastal park offers a museum containing Civil War artifacts as well as camping and picnicking facilities.
Huntsville
7 attraction reviews
“would recommend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

We had a beautiful day and enjoyed walking through this Fort. The bugs were out - so be prepared for that. There was a gentleman dressed up in period costume who sincerely enjoyed teaching visitors about the Fort's history. There is also an indoor movie and museum to enjoy, as well as a gift shop. Note: if you are there to see the Fort, don't pay the $5.00 parking fee...just go into the museum and pay the 'visit the Fort' fee.

Phoenix, AZ
3 attraction reviews
“worth the drive to see”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

If you have an interest in Sherman's march to the sea, Ft McCallister is not to be missed. It is well worth the time to drive out there and see the well preserved fort.

Brooklet, Georgia
18 attraction reviews
“Date day...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

My husband and I went to the fort on one of our "date days", we both love historical areas and this was a treat. We had both been to the fort when we were kids and were curious to see what we remembered. The trail through the fort area and surround woodlands was beautiful (minus the yellow flies) and we both are certain we saw an apparition in one of the battery areas of the fort. No, really....we did. My husband was walking a bit ahead of me and to the right near a battery area I saw a tall, "shadowy" man walking. When I first saw it I thought it was possibly my husband, that he had walked down into that area and started to say "hang on a minute" then I realized the figure had a type of hat on and my husband was not wearing one. It was at this moment I looked again and it was gone. It was early and we were the only ones in the fort area at the time. When I caught up with my husband I asked him if he had saw anyone else walking around and he said "Oh, you saw that too?" We then realized we had both seen the same apparition from different angles. Totally creepy cool!

Visited August 2012
Sebastian, Florida
3 attraction reviews
“What a "different" kind of fort!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

This state park requires an admission fee, so I was dismayed when the visitor center wanted an additional fee to walk its display area. The most interesting thing was that the majority of this fort was underground! Barracks, munitions storage, dining halls, etc were built of timber, with air shafts for ventilation, then covered with soil and grass to disguise its presence from the ships on the river. Whole cannons were seated beneath the level of easy observation! Also, a few of these underground areas have been restored, have electric lighting and are safe to be toured. My adult kids were using an app on their phone that detected 'paranormal' activity, and boy, was it going wild! You can only peek through the windows of the commander's house which is furnished with period pieces. There are also 4 small officer's cabins that you can explore inside, plus a black-smith's work area. It's a lovely walk near the river. And there's a nice long dock for fishing; one fellow told me he often catches shark there! There is a huge picnic area with tables, rest-rooms, pavilions and a observation tower as well. I wasn't camping on this trip, so didn't visit that part of the park...

Eugene, OR
19 attraction reviews
“A must visit when in Savannah.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

Two critical Civil War battles, one naval and the other land, were fought at this most important location that determined how well-equipped the Confederate Southern army would be. The superb displays--- truly state-of-the-art--- make the history come alive with authentic materiel and insightful text.
One caveat: the sign near the entrance says it opens at 2 p.m. We almost turned around but decided to go ahead and see what we could: it was open! The sign didn't reflect it so check ahead on the website for the correct hours.