“Deep Healing and Transformation” 5 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   San Pablo De Turrubares, San Pablo, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in San Pablo
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Deep Healing and Transformation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2015

I have been leading yoga and wellness retreats since the early 1990's. I have been in Mexico, Jamaica, the South of France, Harper's Ferry, the Netherlands, Dominica, Brazil and multiple times in Costa Rica. Amatierra is the first time I have repeated a location. The owners Bob and Jill bring a special family touch to their groups. One feels a part of a community. The setting is unparalleled in beauty, particularly the yoga pavilion which is a jewel with beautiful views of a valley and mountain range. One can hike the property, walk to a near by village or take a day trip accompanied by experienced drivers and guides who are warm, friendly and knowledgeable. Still everyone looks forward to 'coming home' to Amatierra. The meals are perfect. You find yourself looking forward to each one shared on the lovely veranda. They are prepared with love and beautifully proportioned and flavored with local fresh, organic produce and spices. The offerings from the wellness center include massages, facials, shamanic and sound healings all in lovely rooms that cultivate peace and tranquility. Jill is a master yoga teacher in her own right with knowledge of the healing power of Hatha Yoga.The pool is a perfect place to relax and read or just contemplate the beautiful views and the lodgings are cozy, comfortable and charming. I love bringing my students there, because they feel at home and taken care of. This makes my intention of helping them shed stress and dive deeper into themselves to reconnect with their most cherished dreams, all the easier. I will be back. Thank you Bob and Jill for holding this space for transformation and reconnecting with nature. Namaste, Neva

• Stayed March 2015, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
clifton park, new york
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2015

I just returned from a week long yoga retreat at Amatierra. It was a welcome sight after a long day
of traveling. The owners Bob and Jill were waiting for us with cold fruit smoothies.
Our stay was wonderful. The terraced cottages were clean and comfortable. Delicious coffee was available for us in our rooms. The meals were exceptional. Breakfast lunch and dinner. We enjoyed the company of Bob and Jill and we had many funny and informative discussions. One night Jill played the piano and there was singing and dancing.
Everyday we were able to lounge around and swim in the beautiful pool. The temperature was just right.
The yoga studio was the high point for all of us. The views were breathless and the atmosphere was so peaceful.
We were all able to have a wonderful massage as well.
I enjoyed just being there. The feel of it. It was perfect. I miss it.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled with friends
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2015

We hosted a weeklong dance retreat at Amatierra in February 2015. It was the perfect location for 25 dancers to live and work for 7 days in paradise. The studio is amazing, and the food was perfect for all our dietary restrictions. I found all of the staff to be extremely helpful and accommodating from the moment we stepped on the property. They helped us arrange transportation to and from the airport as well as excursions on our day off. Everything we needed was taken care of with ease and a friendly face. I really enjoyed having everything taken care of for us so all we needed to do was focus on dance. I would definitely return to Amatierra with a large group again.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2015

Amatierra was to me exactly what I was looking for... A quiet retreat to allow me to get in touch with nature, and healthy meals that I did not have to think about or prepare. The property is not fancy, but clean and functional. The activities available are enough to keep one busy. Being in the mountains and somewhat isolated to me was a plus. I explored the property grounds, walked to the very small near by town, zip lined, hiked the waterfall and enjoyed the beautiful natural water, the national park excursion included in my 5 night package was also enjoyable (I chose to bypass the beach visit). Even went to a near by local fiesta with a rodeo!

Bob and Jill welcomed me as one of the family. I was the only guest for 2 out of my 5 nights there, but I made acquaintance with everyone from the drivers to the kitchen staff. It helped that I can speak Spanish.

To me it was a very 'homey' experience rather than a resort, but I appreciate that and was satisfied. I enjoyed all the creatures I encountered, from the tarantula, geckos, cicadas, the raccoon and iguanas that roam the property...to all the other sightings of monkeys, sloths, several birds and crocodiles from the Carara National Park. It is a jungle out there! And I loved it!

I felt safe and the food was always incredible! I did not do yoga, but utilized the room to stretch and enjoy the view that is fabulous. I had my included massage and yet another one, both were very good! And I have a massage on a weekly basis, very picky about it, so I was surprised.

Bob and I did have a little miscommunication about the package and what was or not included, based on the fact I had told him I was not going to do the daily yoga included in the package, but he got it all squared and it worked out fine at the end with no stress.

Overall this was a memorable and very positive experience!

• Stayed February 2015, traveled solo
Oakland, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2015

I want to start by saying I strongly dislike writing negative reviews and rarely do it. I'm a positive person that will make the best out of any situation. However, after making many failed attempts to resolve this with Bob, I feel I have no choice.

I booked a 5 night retreat in early October during the off season. After reviewing the website packages I thought there was a daily massage & daily yoga. Because the price was so high for Costa Rica this seemed to make sense to me. I emailed Bob to confirm & his response was unclear. Upon arrival we asked about the massages & we were told very clearly that only one came with the 5 day package. If only his email response was this clear the whole ugly mess could have been avoided.

I will start with my positives. The property was spectacular, again this was the green season and boy was it green. I was told that the property gets very dry in the summer and that would not be as beautiful in my opinion. The yoga pavilion is the gem of the place. Without that we would not have stayed at all. Jill's yoga classes are great despite the constant swatting of bullet ants. Perhaps brushing them off the side would make for a more peaceful yoga experience. But I appreciated her attempt to keep them from biting us.

Rooms- The rooms are dated with aging hippy type of decor. We had two beds with mismatched bedding. One bed had a nice white down like comforter while the other had a cheap old synthetic Walmart patterned bedspread. For the $500 a night we paid it seems both beds should have had the upgraded bedding. I will say the beds were comfortable. The biggest problem with the room was the see through WINDOW COVERINGS... On our third night while walking down the path I noticed I could see very clearly my travel companion undressing as if there was no blind at all!!! I must add the shower also has this type of blind, which is in plain site of the front door. All rooms seem to have the same layout & blinds. BEWARE of your compromised privacy! We were the only guests during our stay and this made us extremely uncomfortable as you really are out in the jungle.
The jacuzzi tubs are still not working!

Food- Two of our three dinners were amazing! Lunch and breakfast were mediocre. Lunch was lettuce from the garden with a few pieces of goat cheese or a cheese quesadilla. Breakfast was two eggs & some fruit. One morning we got fresh squeezed juice. I'm not a big eater but big eaters note..... You don't get a lot of food and because of the remote location there are not other options. Pack some
snacks!!

Bob- The worst part of this experience was dealing with Bob. Overall I had the feeling I was staying with a strict older Aunt & Uncle that were watching & judging my every move. Because we were the only guests and the rooms didn't have any seating we spent most of our time up on the deck off the back of their home/ office. We were told more than once we were very unusual guests. We brought a jigsaw puzzle to pass the time at night since there really is nothing to do at night. Bob & Jill both made many comments on how strange they thought that was. We were scolded by both of them for bringing home beer from the local market one day. Apparently they have beer for sale & that is the beer you must buy. We were scolded for having our I pad on the lunch table. Lunch is a device free area, however that is the only location that you get wifi. Again we were the only guests so there wasn't anyone there for us to offend. The final straw was when Bob lost it on us for ordering guacamole from the snack menu. Apparently this is to be ordered during the day only. We ordered it before dinner & really frazzled him. After explaining there is not a time mentioned on the menu he became very ANGRY with us & told us we were so hard to please which was followed by an uncomfortable exchange that made the rest of our stay awkward. I will note here my travel companion was my business partner of 15 yrs. We run a service oriented business in California & were totally flabbergasted at Bobs lack of regard for customer service and inability to hold his temper.

The next day we explained all the reasons we were unhappy with our stay & asked to please be reimbursed for the remaining 2 nights and we would be leaving. Bob agreed & even apologized, however when I looked at the credit it was half of what he owed us. We sent emails back & forth which put a damper on another of our vacation days & unfortunately I had to dispute the charges with my credit card co. when I returned to the U.S.

If you decide to stay at Amatiera my advice would be to go in the busy season when they offer multiple classes throughout the day & severely limit your interactions with Bob. Hopefully after this review they will change the see through blinds so guests can have privacy in the cabins.

Namaste

Stayed October 2014
amatierra, Owner at Amatierra Retreat and Wellness Center, responded to this review, February 26, 2015
In the hospitality business as in life, there are always a few people we cannot please, and we have little control over how people interpret our words. Nonetheless, we try very hard to make our guests happy, and this is why AmaTierra has earned Trip Advisors' Award of Excellence for the last 3 years and has a 99% excellent rating.

From the beginning when these particular guests arrived with the misconception that our very affordable rate (see rates here: http://www.amatierra.com/yoga-relax-nature-packages.html ) included a massage EVERY DAY? through the final request for a refund (our cancellation policy does not allow for this, but we made an exception) where we did our best to explain that since tours, transportation and the ONE included massage per person were already given to them, the guests calculation that their refund be 2/5 of the entire rate was erroneous, it seemed there were nearly daily misinterpretations throughout these guests' stay.

Their request for a snack 15 minutes before dinnertime when our tiny kitchen was busy getting the meal ready did surprise the owner, and did result in the guests taking Bob’s remarks as an insult, for which he apologized. To say we do not serve enough food is a curious comment, as nearly all our other reviews talk about how delicious and plentiful the food is at AmaTierra, and many guests actually ask for SMALLER portions at meal times.

If these guests went away feeling like the management thought they were “unusual”, well, I suppose we would have to agree. To take over the dining room for days with a small-piece puzzle that needed guarding, to be so worried about someone seeing them through the blinds, especially when they were the only guests; to ask for a snack 15 minutes before dinner and to be angry over not getting inclusions that were never offered in the first place; to get upset with our "no internet during meal times" rule which actually arose out of a survey of many guests; and then finally to decide what amount to be refunded based on nothing logical and to then refute charges, now these things we have to say, are quite unusual and do not fit the profile of the past 9 years of AmaTierra guests.

Again, we did our best, and sometimes our best just ain’t good enough for some. We’re happy it’s good enough for the majority and we hope that future guests find AmaTierra the delightful, beautiful and welcoming place that our reputation rightly demonstrates it to be.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2015

My wife and I had a wonderful time at Ama Tierra. The resort is situated in the beautiful Costa Rican mountains. The owners and staff are very friendly and attentive. The yoga studio is the nicest I have ever been to with unmatched scenic views of the countryside. The food is also very good and the wellness continues with massage services. We also took day trips to a National Park, the beach and went zip lining, all arranged by the resort. It has been a great trip and will be tough to leave!

• Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2014

Amatierra is a beautiful yoga retreat and spa high in the mountains in San Pablo. The setting is glorious and the yoga studio is so serene that you almost feel that you are interfering with nature just by being there. The yoga classes were very good and the meditation was a new and introspective experience for me. I had a bit of a cough when I arrived, and Jill, who is an herbalist, fixed me up by mixing many herbs to make me almost immediately feel better.

My room was clean, the bed was comfortable and the staff were all excellent. The meals were very good and nutritious; the ahi tuna was by far, one of the best I have eaten. I would have liked a more diverse breakfast menu, however, all in all, I enjoyed the food; everything natural, organic and nutritious.

Carara Biological Reserve was a lovely hike in the jungle, and we saw monkeys, beautiful birds, and were enveloped by the natural beauty. The tour guide was knowledgeable and helpful. I did the ziplining (first time) at Turubari Park, but would have liked to have flown over a longer (more platforms) and more scenic route (seeing animals, waterfalls).

My major disappointment was that I had wanted very much to go to La Paz waterfall and Poas volcano; and would have gladly paid for the tour, but was told that there was no one to take me. A trip to Costa Rica also includes waterfalls and volcanoes and no real effort was made to make it happen, so I felt a bit cheated that I had missed something very special. I had discussed this with Bob even before my arrival at Amatierra.

My last comment is that there were only 3 guests when I was there, and during the day and evening, although Bob and Jill tried very hard to make it a festive time, it could be a bit lonely. In my case, the other two guests had their own issues, which made it a bit unsettling at times.

All in all, I recommend this spa retreat for its medicinal and spiritual value, for its beauty. You will return home relaxed and at peace, and isn't that the reason you choose to take such a vacation?

Room Tip: My room, Cielo, was clean, situated nicely on the property and had a comfortable bed.