“We keep coming back for the food and relaxing hospitality” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Amatierra Retreat and Wellness Center

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in San Pablo
Amatierra Retreat and Wellness Center
San Pablo De Turrubares, San Pablo, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in San Pablo
Atenas, Costa Rica
“We keep coming back for the food and relaxing hospitality”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

We have stayed at Amatierra on past years and have even welcomed in the new year of 2011 with other guest and staff. We couldn't wait to take friends for a short stay. Amatierra has a wonderful energy. It is a positive and refreshing energy that helps clear away all the other little things that clutter our brain. Bob and Jill are the best hosts in Costa Rica. They are like family. This warm hospitality carries over to the staff. We had lunch when we first arrived and we all had massages in the afternoon. Dinner was served at 7 and it can only be described as wonderful, flavorful and "clean". We all very much enjoyed the meal and Bob had an excellent Malbec that we enjoyed with the meal. Before breakfast the next morning our wives attended the morning yoga session and meditation. If you are looking for a great place to chill out then Amatierra is the place for you.

Room Tip: Select a room farther down the hill and one that also faces downhill.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

256 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Gouex, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I arrived at AmaTierra feeling like a physical wreck. A mere seven days later I felt better than I had for years. I was literally rejuvenated. I did the detox package (mainly because I wanted to give up smoking) but the experience was so very much more. I could wander round the grounds watching toucans, humming birds and butterflies. I could do yoga or meditate in the extraordinary yoga space, with its views to the hills. (Also good for birdwatching). I ate delicious, organic, healthy-but-sinful-tasting meals on the terrace, watched by iguanas. I had amazing treatments from Jill, Annelise and Tanya. I was made to feel not like a mere guest, but like a (slightly eccentric) member of the family.
And I'm still not smoking, am not tempted to smoke, and I still feel the warm glow of AmaTierra...

Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

I knew Amatierra was the perfect place for my first solo venture as soon as I landed. Bob, Jill, the Staff, and other guests made me feel right at home. I believe you can make your time at this Resort whatever you'd like it to be both within your personal comfort level and budget. Bob and Jill were the perfect hosts, making sure I got to take advantage of all CR had to offer. Daily yoga with Jill, meditations, incomparable views, energy healing, after dinner sing-a-longs, biomat, gorgeous walks along the trails, unbelievable food, hysterical adventures, the most perfect company; Amatierra gave me lifelong memories and new friendships that I will cherish forever!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
amatierra, Owner at Amatierra Retreat and Wellness Center, responded to this review, January 27, 2013
It was a joy meeting you and having you stay with us So glad you enjoyed your visit.
. I wish you all the success in the world in your brilliant career. Keep smiling and stay healthy.
San Antonio, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

I stayed at Amatierra during Nov 2011 and Dec 2012 but only writing my thoughts about my trip this time around. It is buried deep in the jungle mountains a good hour drive away from the beach or San Jose. There are beautiful views during the day and amazing jungle sounds all night long. If you are looking for some "check out" time to rejuvenate this is the place. There is a Chef from Italy there until May 2013 and she is great! I lived in Portland Oregon for 20 years and Amatierra feels like Portland does to me spiritually. Bob and Jill are great hosts and if you need to get out of the solitude for awhile maybe the beach for a couple of days they will help you make arrangements. Enjoy!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Saint Louis, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

I visited this hotel in the green season, but am just getting around to reviewing it. I think the best way to review it may be to give individual star ratings, based on different aspects of the hotel. So, here goes...

Yoga pavilion (2nd floor) and spa (1st floor): 5 stars (this building is the jewel of the hotel)
Yoga classes: 5 stars
Views from public areas: 5 stars
Landscaping and grounds: 5 stars
Food: 5 stars (gourmet selections and very healthy -- one meal is generally prepared for all and at a set time -- individual needs are accommodated, however)
Wellness offerings: 4 stars
Pool and seating area: 3 stars (the view from the pool is outstanding; the pool itself and the seating is ok -- probably 3 stars; pool had a jacuzzi, but it just bubbled -- it did not heat up)
Rooms: 2 stars (room was clean, but did have insects, furnishings were average, bathroom could use some updating, no air conditioning, no hair dryer, jacuzzi did not work and I was asked not to try it)

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Guayaquil, Ecuador
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

I decided to finish the year and give my self a gift, few days in Costa Rica, I checked several Hotels and locations, wanted to make sure I chose the right one for a complete relaxation and energizing experience.
I spent 5 nights at this beautiful amazing wellness center and gained so much energy. The facilities, the views, the pool, the nature all makes it an awesome retreat but what make you will feel so special is the Hotel owners and staff!
Bob and Jill the owners, Davis the front desk clerk, Arianna the chef (the food is so tasty & healthy!), Pdma the Yoga teacher, and the entire Hotel staff just give you the great feeling that you are at HOME!
Don’t miss a daily session at the Bio mat! It will take away all the accumulated stress you have, a powerful healing mat!
Thank you AMA TIERRA team for such a wonderful experience! I am already looking forward for my next wellness/retreat vacation at your Hotel.
Happy New Year
Sharon Dayan

Room Tip: All Rooms offer tranquility, just come to relax and enjoy!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
amatierra, Owner at Amatierra Retreat and Wellness Center, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
We enjoyed your visit with us and glad that we could meet your expectations as you come from a long line of experienced Hotel Management. Happy New Year to you also and hope to see you again in 2013......
Buffalo, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

This place for starters astoundingly beautiful, tranquil, and gifted with a great chef, but it's so much more, too. Bob and Jill, the owners of this retreat are like none other I've ever experienced, and I will never forget my wonderful time here.

So the following is just one way that you could tell that they really care about the people who visit, aside from simply being very great hosts who treated us almost as if we were long-time friends rather than just guests. I came to Ama Tierra after spending two weeks in Honduras, where I had contracted an intestinal parasite. Needless to say I was not feeling very well. Jill hooked me up right away as a practicing herbalist with what I needed to feel better, a lifesaver in a country where I was completely unfamiliar with the healthcare system! I would then find for example extra flaxseed for my portion of breakfast, or that she had put fennel in everyone's dinner night-- coincidence, I think not, as fennel is meant to calm the stomach.

Then there's the yoga and mediation in an awesome pavilion with a view of the mountains, and the great nights when all the guests had dinner together at one table. Definitely come here if you want to meet kindred spirits while you recharge your batteries!

Room Tip: We stayed in Cafe, but I'm sure they're all great.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
amatierra, Owner at Amatierra Retreat and Wellness Center, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. Always happy to help with health matters, after all that is what we specialize in. Hope you have a Healthy Happy New Year

Been to Amatierra Retreat and Wellness Center? Share your experiences!