“An Unforgettable Vacation” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Amatierra Retreat and Wellness Center

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in San Pablo
Amatierra Retreat and Wellness Center
San Pablo De Turrubares, San Pablo, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in San Pablo
New York City, New York
“An Unforgettable Vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

I knew Amatierra was the perfect place for my first solo venture as soon as I landed. Bob, Jill, the Staff, and other guests made me feel right at home. I believe you can make your time at this Resort whatever you'd like it to be both within your personal comfort level and budget. Bob and Jill were the perfect hosts, making sure I got to take advantage of all CR had to offer. Daily yoga with Jill, meditations, incomparable views, energy healing, after dinner sing-a-longs, biomat, gorgeous walks along the trails, unbelievable food, hysterical adventures, the most perfect company; Amatierra gave me lifelong memories and new friendships that I will cherish forever!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
amatierra, Owner at Amatierra Retreat and Wellness Center, responded to this review, January 27, 2013
It was a joy meeting you and having you stay with us So glad you enjoyed your visit.
. I wish you all the success in the world in your brilliant career. Keep smiling and stay healthy.

263 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
San Antonio, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

I stayed at Amatierra during Nov 2011 and Dec 2012 but only writing my thoughts about my trip this time around. It is buried deep in the jungle mountains a good hour drive away from the beach or San Jose. There are beautiful views during the day and amazing jungle sounds all night long. If you are looking for some "check out" time to rejuvenate this is the place. There is a Chef from Italy there until May 2013 and she is great! I lived in Portland Oregon for 20 years and Amatierra feels like Portland does to me spiritually. Bob and Jill are great hosts and if you need to get out of the solitude for awhile maybe the beach for a couple of days they will help you make arrangements. Enjoy!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Saint Louis, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

I visited this hotel in the green season, but am just getting around to reviewing it. I think the best way to review it may be to give individual star ratings, based on different aspects of the hotel. So, here goes...

Yoga pavilion (2nd floor) and spa (1st floor): 5 stars (this building is the jewel of the hotel)
Yoga classes: 5 stars
Views from public areas: 5 stars
Landscaping and grounds: 5 stars
Food: 5 stars (gourmet selections and very healthy -- one meal is generally prepared for all and at a set time -- individual needs are accommodated, however)
Wellness offerings: 4 stars
Pool and seating area: 3 stars (the view from the pool is outstanding; the pool itself and the seating is ok -- probably 3 stars; pool had a jacuzzi, but it just bubbled -- it did not heat up)
Rooms: 2 stars (room was clean, but did have insects, furnishings were average, bathroom could use some updating, no air conditioning, no hair dryer, jacuzzi did not work and I was asked not to try it)

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Guayaquil, Ecuador
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

I decided to finish the year and give my self a gift, few days in Costa Rica, I checked several Hotels and locations, wanted to make sure I chose the right one for a complete relaxation and energizing experience.
I spent 5 nights at this beautiful amazing wellness center and gained so much energy. The facilities, the views, the pool, the nature all makes it an awesome retreat but what make you will feel so special is the Hotel owners and staff!
Bob and Jill the owners, Davis the front desk clerk, Arianna the chef (the food is so tasty & healthy!), Pdma the Yoga teacher, and the entire Hotel staff just give you the great feeling that you are at HOME!
Don’t miss a daily session at the Bio mat! It will take away all the accumulated stress you have, a powerful healing mat!
Thank you AMA TIERRA team for such a wonderful experience! I am already looking forward for my next wellness/retreat vacation at your Hotel.
Happy New Year
Sharon Dayan

Room Tip: All Rooms offer tranquility, just come to relax and enjoy!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
amatierra, Owner at Amatierra Retreat and Wellness Center, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
We enjoyed your visit with us and glad that we could meet your expectations as you come from a long line of experienced Hotel Management. Happy New Year to you also and hope to see you again in 2013......
Buffalo, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

This place for starters astoundingly beautiful, tranquil, and gifted with a great chef, but it's so much more, too. Bob and Jill, the owners of this retreat are like none other I've ever experienced, and I will never forget my wonderful time here.

So the following is just one way that you could tell that they really care about the people who visit, aside from simply being very great hosts who treated us almost as if we were long-time friends rather than just guests. I came to Ama Tierra after spending two weeks in Honduras, where I had contracted an intestinal parasite. Needless to say I was not feeling very well. Jill hooked me up right away as a practicing herbalist with what I needed to feel better, a lifesaver in a country where I was completely unfamiliar with the healthcare system! I would then find for example extra flaxseed for my portion of breakfast, or that she had put fennel in everyone's dinner night-- coincidence, I think not, as fennel is meant to calm the stomach.

Then there's the yoga and mediation in an awesome pavilion with a view of the mountains, and the great nights when all the guests had dinner together at one table. Definitely come here if you want to meet kindred spirits while you recharge your batteries!

Room Tip: We stayed in Cafe, but I'm sure they're all great.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
amatierra, Owner at Amatierra Retreat and Wellness Center, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. Always happy to help with health matters, after all that is what we specialize in. Hope you have a Healthy Happy New Year
Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

I found this lovely and peaceful yoga retreat center to be a place where I could come and get "filled up" in order to "go out" and reflect a much needed calm and gentle spirit. The food was fantastic...whole foods, fresh ingredients, a wonderful culinary delight at each and every meal.(new chef from Italy) Bob and Jill's pleasant company as our hosts added to the pleasures of this garden of Eden! As an instructor, I plan to bring back several of my students from Colorado to share in the joys of Ama Tierra. I will never forget the full and glorious rainbow arching over the yoga center on our departing afternoon....I think Bob must have "ordered" that especially for us! thanks again. lynn from Colorado Springs

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
amatierra, Owner at Amatierra Retreat and Wellness Center, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Thanks for your kind words and we do try serve the freshest foods and take great care in our choices of food to appeal to all of our guests different dietary restrictions.
We pride ourselves on the way we treat our guests here and find it our number 1 priority
to make them all feel like this is a home away from home here.
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

My friend and I came here expecting to relax a little, do some yoga, eat well and explore beautiful Costa Rica. The food was good. That's it. Bob and Jill who run the place have strict and unwritten expectations as to how you should be spending your time while staying at their resort. Think of it like you're visiting their home and they have very strict rules you need to abide by. It was SO WEIRD! For being in another country, they do everything in their power to keep the Costa Rican culture away from you. One day we wanted to take a taxi to see a waterfall and visit an animal sanctuary. Bob threw a fit saying there was no way he could get us a car for the next day and it would take at least two days before he could get a cab. He really wanted us to just stay there by the pool, reading all day. If that's how I wanted to spend my vacation, I would have stayed in America. Isn't the whole point of vising a new country is to actually explore it and learn about it's beauty and cultura!? I would NEVER go back to this resort. Like I said, Bob and Jill have their own agenda for you and you better do as they want or they'll get weird on you.

Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
amatierra, Owner at Amatierra Retreat and Wellness Center, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
The management at AmaTierra is very surprised and disturbed by these comments. We do everything we can to please our guests and we wish the guest had spoken to us about his/her discontent at that time. All we can think of is that we always put safety first with our guests, and it could be that our own drivers were not available to safely transport the guests to the waterfall. As far as having strict unwritten rules? We're not at all sure what this means. We do have scheduled times for meals and yoga classes, but we do our best to help our guests have a wonderful vacation and do what they want with their own time. Keeping the Costa Rica culture away from the guests? Many of our guests have enjoyed parades, walks into the local town, fiestas and even the local bar, so this is a strange allegation. Our CST (Certificate in Sustainable Tourism) rating requires us to introduce our guests to the cultural activities and customs of the Costa Rican people. We are very sorry this guest did not enjoy their experience at AmaTierra, as the majority of our guests love it here.

Been to Amatierra Retreat and Wellness Center? Share your experiences!