“Amazing stay at AMA TIERRA” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Amatierra Retreat and Wellness Center

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in San Pablo
Amatierra Retreat and Wellness Center
Save Saved
You added Amatierra Retreat and Wellness Center to your Saves list
San Pablo De Turrubares, San Pablo, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in San Pablo
Guayaquil, Ecuador
“Amazing stay at AMA TIERRA”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

I decided to finish the year and give my self a gift, few days in Costa Rica, I checked several Hotels and locations, wanted to make sure I chose the right one for a complete relaxation and energizing experience.
I spent 5 nights at this beautiful amazing wellness center and gained so much energy. The facilities, the views, the pool, the nature all makes it an awesome retreat but what make you will feel so special is the Hotel owners and staff!
Bob and Jill the owners, Davis the front desk clerk, Arianna the chef (the food is so tasty & healthy!), Pdma the Yoga teacher, and the entire Hotel staff just give you the great feeling that you are at HOME!
Don’t miss a daily session at the Bio mat! It will take away all the accumulated stress you have, a powerful healing mat!
Thank you AMA TIERRA team for such a wonderful experience! I am already looking forward for my next wellness/retreat vacation at your Hotel.
Happy New Year
Sharon Dayan

Room Tip: All Rooms offer tranquility, just come to relax and enjoy!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
amatierra, Owner at Amatierra Retreat and Wellness Center, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
We enjoyed your visit with us and glad that we could meet your expectations as you come from a long line of experienced Hotel Management. Happy New Year to you also and hope to see you again in 2013......

265 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Buffalo, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

This place for starters astoundingly beautiful, tranquil, and gifted with a great chef, but it's so much more, too. Bob and Jill, the owners of this retreat are like none other I've ever experienced, and I will never forget my wonderful time here.

So the following is just one way that you could tell that they really care about the people who visit, aside from simply being very great hosts who treated us almost as if we were long-time friends rather than just guests. I came to Ama Tierra after spending two weeks in Honduras, where I had contracted an intestinal parasite. Needless to say I was not feeling very well. Jill hooked me up right away as a practicing herbalist with what I needed to feel better, a lifesaver in a country where I was completely unfamiliar with the healthcare system! I would then find for example extra flaxseed for my portion of breakfast, or that she had put fennel in everyone's dinner night-- coincidence, I think not, as fennel is meant to calm the stomach.

Then there's the yoga and mediation in an awesome pavilion with a view of the mountains, and the great nights when all the guests had dinner together at one table. Definitely come here if you want to meet kindred spirits while you recharge your batteries!

Room Tip: We stayed in Cafe, but I'm sure they're all great.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
amatierra, Owner at Amatierra Retreat and Wellness Center, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. Always happy to help with health matters, after all that is what we specialize in. Hope you have a Healthy Happy New Year
Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

I found this lovely and peaceful yoga retreat center to be a place where I could come and get "filled up" in order to "go out" and reflect a much needed calm and gentle spirit. The food was fantastic...whole foods, fresh ingredients, a wonderful culinary delight at each and every meal.(new chef from Italy) Bob and Jill's pleasant company as our hosts added to the pleasures of this garden of Eden! As an instructor, I plan to bring back several of my students from Colorado to share in the joys of Ama Tierra. I will never forget the full and glorious rainbow arching over the yoga center on our departing afternoon....I think Bob must have "ordered" that especially for us! thanks again. lynn from Colorado Springs

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
amatierra, Owner at Amatierra Retreat and Wellness Center, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Thanks for your kind words and we do try serve the freshest foods and take great care in our choices of food to appeal to all of our guests different dietary restrictions.
We pride ourselves on the way we treat our guests here and find it our number 1 priority
to make them all feel like this is a home away from home here.
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

My friend and I came here expecting to relax a little, do some yoga, eat well and explore beautiful Costa Rica. The food was good. That's it. Bob and Jill who run the place have strict and unwritten expectations as to how you should be spending your time while staying at their resort. Think of it like you're visiting their home and they have very strict rules you need to abide by. It was SO WEIRD! For being in another country, they do everything in their power to keep the Costa Rican culture away from you. One day we wanted to take a taxi to see a waterfall and visit an animal sanctuary. Bob threw a fit saying there was no way he could get us a car for the next day and it would take at least two days before he could get a cab. He really wanted us to just stay there by the pool, reading all day. If that's how I wanted to spend my vacation, I would have stayed in America. Isn't the whole point of vising a new country is to actually explore it and learn about it's beauty and cultura!? I would NEVER go back to this resort. Like I said, Bob and Jill have their own agenda for you and you better do as they want or they'll get weird on you.

Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
amatierra, Owner at Amatierra Retreat and Wellness Center, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
The management at AmaTierra is very surprised and disturbed by these comments. We do everything we can to please our guests and we wish the guest had spoken to us about his/her discontent at that time. All we can think of is that we always put safety first with our guests, and it could be that our own drivers were not available to safely transport the guests to the waterfall. As far as having strict unwritten rules? We're not at all sure what this means. We do have scheduled times for meals and yoga classes, but we do our best to help our guests have a wonderful vacation and do what they want with their own time. Keeping the Costa Rica culture away from the guests? Many of our guests have enjoyed parades, walks into the local town, fiestas and even the local bar, so this is a strange allegation. Our CST (Certificate in Sustainable Tourism) rating requires us to introduce our guests to the cultural activities and customs of the Costa Rican people. We are very sorry this guest did not enjoy their experience at AmaTierra, as the majority of our guests love it here.
Newington, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

When I booked my trip to Ama Tierra I hoped that I would find the peace and strength I so desperately needed. My stay was way beyond my expectations!
Bob & Jill make you feel like family from the minute you arrive. Jill is an amazingly gifted and intuitive woman who can provide insights and suggestions that can be life changing.
And the food is out of this world! Everything is so fresh, and the recipes are just fantastic!
The beautiful setting is magnificent! Mountains, wildlfe, vivid colors everywhere. However the trip would not have been all that i expected and more had it not been for Bob & Jill, the most wonderful hosts I have ever encountered on a vacation. I am hopeful that I will be able to return soon!
C Kelly CT

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
amatierra, Owner at Amatierra Retreat and Wellness Center, responded to this review, November 24, 2012
Caroline. It was such a pleasure having you stay with us and that you were able to connect as a single woman coming for a week and meet some other single woman travelers that you can connect with that were here for the 7 days you were with us. We really try and make our guests feel like they are at a home away from home, with things like having a piano in our living/dining area for entertainment and incorporate music in your experience while you are with us.
Also i am grateful that this experience was life changing for you as that is one of our goals we try and meet for all of our guests.at Amatierra Retreat and Wellness Center..
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

Staying at AmaTierra is one of those experiences you won't soon forget. I was looking to disconnect from my hectic NYC life and find some quiet, good food, and yoga, so I signed on for the 7-day retreat. I got much, much more. The little resort was tucked in the middle of a beautiful rainforest. Yoga every morning was set to the backdrop of vivid green jungle and rolling hills -- and set to the music of tropical birds. It was simple, stretching yoga... so if you're not used to doing it, you'll still enjoy this experience. The wellness spa was really good. As a New Yorker I've had many a good -- and bad massage. I was not disappointed by the services. Jill is a true healer. Bob is an absolute sweetheart. I went in the end of July, which is the "rainy" season. But it was wonderful!! It rained maybe once a day for an hour or two and the rest of the time it was sunny, beautiful, and not too hot. I highly recommend AmaTierra and will certainly be back.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

We just returned from a 5 day stay at Amatierra. Bob and Jill were terrific hosts. They were helpful, cordial, and easy to talk to. The food was very good - very fresh, healthy (i.e. rice noodles, lots of fruit and veggies, and incredible salad dressing - we got the recipe!). It is nice that the breakfasts and dinners were included in our stay. The grounds of Amatierra are magnificent. We hiked around the grounds of Amatierra several times around the creek, the pond, and the tropical forrest microclimate of Amatierra. This was my second time at Amatierra, and I would definitely return again for a third. The first time I took my girlfriend; this time I took my family. Everyone liked it a bunch, and I would recommend it to anyone looking to get away, unplug, relax, and enjoy the scenery.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Amatierra Retreat and Wellness Center? Share your experiences!