“WWII knowledge and artifacts galore!” 5 of 5 stars

Type: History Museums, Military Museums, Museums
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The National Museum of the Mighty Eighth Air Force preserves the stories of courage, character and patriotism displayed by the men and women of the Eighth Air Force from World War II to present.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Richmond Hill, Georgia
26 attraction reviews
“WWII knowledge and artifacts galore!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

This should be a stop on a trip to Savannah! My son (aged 5) and I spent an afternoon here, but I could have spent all day. He really liked the real airplanes and all the models.

Visited July 2013

Ohio
3 attraction reviews
“A great museum for all ages”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

It was a rainy day, so we decided to revisit the museum. It was full of families, and others. Even some young children seemed to enjoy the fighter plane movies and the displays. You don't need to be a WWII buff to enjoy the museum. Each time I go, I learn a new nugget of information.

Visited July 2013
Orlando, Florida
8 attraction reviews
“If you like planes...this stop is for you.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

Boys will be boys. Well, there were fly girls too, I guess. This was not something I really enjoyed but I can't deny the museum itself was impressive. Lots of hands on stuff. Lots of artifacts. For someone who enjoys aviation I would put this on your "must stop" list for Savannah.

Visited June 2013
Ellwood City, Pennsylvania, United States
5 attraction reviews
“An absolute must”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

We visited the Mighty 8th this trip and it is definitely a must see. I had my 3 and 8 year old grandchildren with me who thoroughly enjoyed it. Our party included ages 16 days to 50 and with the exception of the youngest in our party ;), we were all fascinated by what we learned and saw.

Visited June 2013
Chicago, Illinois
3 attraction reviews
“We will not forget.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

You can easily spend your whole day @ the Mighty Eighth. Museum is quite detailed with background of how WWII started, through the war and to the present day. Exhibits are varied with a fair amount of video and audio. The B-17 Savannah plane is being rehabbed but all other aspects of the Museum were open. The logistics of what the 8th Air Force accomplished in WWII is mind boggling. Every time I rethink this or see the statistics, see the museum, I am amazed at what took place. The 8th Air Force took the war to Germany from the UK. My uncle served in the Mighty Eighth and was KIA in WWII. I am just in awe of what these men endured and did for our freedom. The library is on the 2nd floor and has different hours(closes for lunch) from the Museum. You can get a lot of detail on individual Bomb Groups and Squadrons. The library is also not open on Sat/Sun. The Memorial Gardens are quite peaceful and are extensive. There is also an outside chapel in the Gardens, which was in use with a wedding at the time of our visit. There is a senior discount on the admission cost. There is a restaurant(Miss Sophie's) and gift shop in the lobby area. Museum is right of I-95(can be seen from the interstate)@ Savannah exit. It can be reached from downtown historic Savannah in 20 minutes.

Visited May 2013