“Dated rooms, poor housekeeping but great food” 3 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Beach Trip Package
Ranked #3 of 5 hotels in Pine Mountain
Oak Ridge, Tn
“Dated rooms, poor housekeeping but great food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

I really wanted to enjoy this stay, three days of activities and meeting a lot of friends at the nearby FDR State Park as well as several functions held at Callaway Gardens.

My one room at the Mountain Creek Inn for one occupant, for three nights (Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights), plus the Friday night seafood buffet and the Saturday night Country Buffet (plus $10 for an optional room refrigerator) and the bill came to ~$500. OK, I knew the prices when I made the reservations, but I expected better accommodations than I received..

When I checked into my room, there were no toiletries. I wanted to wash up, so I called their CID (consider it done) number and told Anne there were no toiletries in my room. She apologized and said she would get some delivered right away. A minute or two later, there's a knock at the door and two staff members come baring toilet paper, shampoo, Kleenex, all of the toiletries needed... except for soap. One of the staff apologized for the oversight, left and returned in a minute with two bars of soap. OK, apparently these two silver-dollar diameter disks of facial soap are to be used for hand washing and showering. On the third day, I got a tube of body gel soap that was left at the tub, I guess I didn't deserve any the first two nights.

My biggest disappointment was with housekeeping. At no time during my stay was my bathroom sink ever cleaned. I put the bar of soap used for hand washing on the edge of the sink. Each day housekeeping would toss the used bars of soap, leave new, wrapped soap on the bathroom counter, but the soap residue on the sink from the used bar was still there. Same thing for the last day. Nothing major, I agree, but if they couldn't even clean the sink, what did they clean? There was also a Cherrios cereal piece on the floor beneath the bathroom vanity. It stayed there all three days of my visit. It was room 102, take a look, it may still be there. The mattresses were adequate but far from the nicest I've slept on, especially when one considers the price of the room.

Now for the compliments and the things that were done well: The check-in was quick and efficient, the front desk staff was friendly and personable, and the lobby was clean and comfortable.

The Friday and Saturday night buffets were very good. Great service, with a very nice selection of meats, side dishes and wonderful desserts. A very nice dining experience and I even had the opportunity to pass along my compliments to one of the chefs. They had some of the best clam chowder with their Seafood Buffet that I've ever had.

The grounds are lovely and the dining experience was great, but I do hope they will do something about their rooms and especially their housekeeping.

Room Tip: I didn't see any elevators, so unless you like stairs, be sure and ask for a ground floor room...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
CallawayGardens1, Guest Relations Manager at Callaway Gardens Resort, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Thank you so much for your candid feedback regarding your stay with us and your feelings if you were here for a different purpose. Feedback is our number one way to try and continue to make improvements to both our product and service to further enhance the guest experience here at Callaway Gardens. I am sorry that you had a few let downs pillows, bathroom size, and toiletries.

Again, thank you so much for taking time to leave your feedback, it is valued.

686 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
Montgomery, Texas, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

I just spent two night, two days at Callaway Gardens for a business retreat/planning meeting. We stayed in the villas; not in the hotel. The last time I stayed at Callaway Gardens was 7 years ago and nothing had changed. In fact, I don't think anything has changed at this resort since it was built in the 1950s. This resort is OLD and everything in it looks and smells OLD. Not only is it old, but it's also broken. Seriously…over the course of the two days we were there, numerous things broke or were broken; mechanically speaking. For example, one of the showers in the villa didn't work and, while ordering lunch in the dining/bar room, the gas in the kitchen stopped working so they couldn't cook anything. This grounds of the resort are beautiful, but the resort itself is very dated. They need to either complete a major renovation or just scrap the whole thing and start over. There's no way I'd ever spend my own money to stay at this resort.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking time to leave your feedback regarding your recent trip to our property. Guest feedback is very important to us as it is our main tool for celebrating our successes but also taking corrective action on our challenges. As far as updates over the last seven years I would argue that is not 100% accurate. In the past seven years we have added several attractions to the Gardens and Beach areas for guests as well as just this past Winter we spent $2.5 million renovating the Mountain Creek Inn guest rooms and Plant Room dining room. We continue to make plans for further upgrades and renovations in the upcoming year which include further gardens enhancements as well as further enhancements to the Mountain Creek Inn.

As for your villa experience, we are currently working closely with our Villa owners to assist us in bringing our product levels up to the current standards our guest expect and many units are currently under renovation with several updates and repairs. You are correct about our Gas interruption we had last week as that was unexpected when a contractor hit our gas line and therefore we had to turn the valve off for 1 hour. We are truly sorry that this interrupted our services but was not something planned otherwise proper communication would have happened.

Again, thank you so much for your response, we take your feedback very serious and will take action and continue to do so in order to further enhance the product and service we provide each and every guest at Callaway.
Locust Grove, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

Stayed here for just one night. Heard it was recently renovated. The room was very clean. The bed and bedding were very comfortable to sleep on. It met our needs for the night, but it wasn't anything exciting as far as hotels go. The beauty of the area far outweighs the accommodations.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. The Mountain Creek Inn rooms were renovated earlier this year. The Gardens and the surrounding areas do offer many sites to see. The Gardens offers many attractions such as the Butterfly Center, Sibley Horticultural Center, Chapel, and Vegetable Garden. Again, your time and review are greatly appreciated.
chattanooga, tn
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

I was apprehensive about a trip to Callaway Gardens after reading some of the reviews but I wanted to see for myself. I left disappointed. We arrived late in the afternoon to check in at the Mountain Inn. My first worry was the lobby after reading things here. It actually wasn't as bad as I was expecting but it does need an update. I would think they would update the lobby before the rooms were updated. There was a long line and three people checking us in. The staff was very friendly. We did have one incident in the parking lot after check-in. There needs to be a sign outside to prevent cars from blocking people in. A man had left his car behind our car instead of using a parking spot so we had to wait an additional 20 minutes to go to our room. My husband went in and asked who the car belonged to and no one acknowledged him. I went back in and asked the front desk for help. She called an attendant but the person never showed up. We finally get to our room and it was ok. You can tell the outside does need work but it really didn't bother me. I didn't smell anything in the room. The bathrooms are a little small but it was efficient. I wouldn't want to stay there for more than one night. My biggest disappointment was the "garden" view. I honestly expected to see some pretty flowers outside. There is nothing but ugly dying grass. I feel like for the price, something could be added out there - a fountain, flowers, maybe fire pit and chairs or swings. It just seemed neglected. I am partial to the Opryland hotel and thought since their garden view rooms have a beautiful view that maybe this place would be beautiful. I know that it isn't peak season but this area obviously never has anything there. It is also awkward sitting on your patio and staring right into your neighbors eyes. A small privacy fence could be added to each room. I would opt for standard view and save the $10. The harvest fest was ok. My daughter did enjoy making a scarecrow and painting pumpkins. The price of the pumpkins should have been included in our stay. I had one person on the phone say it was included and one person said it was extra. I wasn't sure if we would have to pay or not. The birds of prey show was interesting. Be ready for the birds to fly very close to your head more than once. The butterfly garden was horrible! I was expecting so much more. We have a similar area at the Chattanooga aquarium. I literally saw three butterflies in the whole place, one of which was dead. There was no one there to talk to about the butterflies or let you hold them. We always have someone in our aquarium for education purposes and they take them out of a box and let the kids hold them. I would have been upset if we had done a day trip and paid for this. It ended up raining so we didn't get to ride bikes on the premises. I don't think we will ever go back. I really wanted to like this place. The rooms should be 79.00-89.00 a night max plus the fee for the gardens. I paid 179.00 taxes and all for one night here and a visit to the gardens for two adults and one child. I don't feel like we got a good deal at all.

Stayed October 2013
CallawayGardens1, Guest Relations Manager at Callaway Gardens Resort, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Thank you so much for your feedback regarding your recent trip to visit our property. Within your feedback it was great to read the many positives you point out and those will be celebrated but I am also very thankful that you pointed out and give some constructive feedback. It is this feedback that we take back to our teams and learn from and make positive change to further enhance our guest experience. Take for instance the feedback about the views, but you not only stated your displeasure but offered solutions that I think are very reasonable and will be discussed!

Thank you so much again for taking time to leave this feedback and suggestions. We have a great property but it doesn’t come without having great guests like yourself. As for rates, we do offer several times of the year rates in the $89-$99 ranges so please feel free to contact us and see when we have those value dates as we would love to have you back to see us again in the future!
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013 via mobile

Recently I facilitated a business planning meeting at this facility. It has definitely seen its time and needs a lot of capital infusion. Everything is very dated. The food was adequate at best. In fact the final day we all had to order sandwiches or salads because the gas was out in the kitchen.

My room had no heat, it continued to pump out cool air and the temp in my room dropped down to 63. Their solution was extra blankets.

Needless to say I won't be returning anytime soon.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking time to leave your feedback regarding your recent business planning trip to our property. I am sorry to hear that your experience was less than satisfactory and not up to your standards. As for updating the property we recently spent $2.5 million updating our rooms at the Mountain Creek Inn, and will continue to make further upgrades in the coming year to the lobby and other areas of the property in order to provide our guests with the type of property and service they expect from Callaway Gardens.

Our response to your heat challenge was unacceptable as further training must be done because it truly is a quick fix on our end to open the valves in our HVAC system to allow both Heat and Air at the same time. Our systems were just serviced and are working fine but our staff training will be addressed immediately. As for the gas issue, this was an unforeseen challenge that day with the gas line being hit by a contractor and needing to be shut off for over an hour. Again I am very sorry this impacted your experience as we tried to minimize the impact from the accident but didn’t do so well enough.

Again, thank you so much for your response, we take your feedback very serious and we will take action based off of your comments in order to provide our guests better as that is what is expected and what you deserve from Callaway Gardens.
Atlanta, Ga
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

We stayed only one night at the Mountain Creek Inn. All of the rooms are of outside entry similar to a motel. I was very satisfied with our room as it was larger than I expected, newly renovated, and comfortable. The pool is HUGE - at least Jr Olympic size! Plenty of room for a hot tub on the pool deck however NO hot tub. I probably shouldn't mention this but my only complaint is the motel/Inn lobby...it's very strange and even a little creepy, depressingly out of date, dark and very musty smelling. Seriously, I felt as if I was back in the 1970's with all of the earth tones and unattractive plants! I can't stress enough - definately need to lighten it up!! They do have a restaurant however after walking through the dark lobby, I wasn't the least bit interested. For dinner, we dined in the small town of Pine Lake at Bon Vivant Deli & Cafe which was an excellent choice. (approx 1 mile from hotel). We spent almost all of the day in the gardens and I feel that this Inn is perfect for a short stay if you can get past the disturbing lobby. Family oriented.

Room Tip: I booked an online package 'summer' deal throught the Callaway Gardens website. This package...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
CallawayGardens1, Guest Relations Manager at Callaway Gardens Resort, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Thank you so much for leaving your feedback regarding your stay with us here at Callaway Gardens but specifically the Mountain Creek Inn. Guest feedback whether it is positive or negative is very important to us as it is our main method for celebrating our successes or addressing our opportunities to improve our guest experience. We do hope you enjoyed the overall stay and visit with us here at Callaway Gardens. The review on the Inn lobby will be sent to the Director of Operations for review. We do hope to do more renovations in the near future.
East Point, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

My husband's high school reunion celebrated at Callaway's Mountain Creek Inn Friday- Sunday. The customer service was outstanding from front desk to wait staff to housekeeping. Everyone was friendly and helpful. Gift shop and Country Store had the usual and unusual gifts. Be sure to see Butterfly Center, walk the grounds, ride bicycle trails, and hang out at man-made beach!
The room was clean, beds comfortable, flat screen tv, and we had no problem with wifi.

Room Tip: No one in our group of 30 complained about their rooms.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for visiting with us for your husbands class reunion and giving us a good review as well. It is great to hear that the service was good in all areas of your stay. Reviews such as this make the entire staff feel appreciated. We do hope you will return and join us for Fantasy In Lights that starts November 22. Your business is greatly appreciated.

Been to Callaway Gardens Resort? Share your experiences!