I really wanted to enjoy this stay, three days of activities and meeting a lot of friends at the nearby FDR State Park as well as several functions held at Callaway Gardens.
My one room at the Mountain Creek Inn for one occupant, for three nights (Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights), plus the Friday night seafood buffet and the Saturday night Country Buffet (plus $10 for an optional room refrigerator) and the bill came to ~$500. OK, I knew the prices when I made the reservations, but I expected better accommodations than I received..
When I checked into my room, there were no toiletries. I wanted to wash up, so I called their CID (consider it done) number and told Anne there were no toiletries in my room. She apologized and said she would get some delivered right away. A minute or two later, there's a knock at the door and two staff members come baring toilet paper, shampoo, Kleenex, all of the toiletries needed... except for soap. One of the staff apologized for the oversight, left and returned in a minute with two bars of soap. OK, apparently these two silver-dollar diameter disks of facial soap are to be used for hand washing and showering. On the third day, I got a tube of body gel soap that was left at the tub, I guess I didn't deserve any the first two nights.
My biggest disappointment was with housekeeping. At no time during my stay was my bathroom sink ever cleaned. I put the bar of soap used for hand washing on the edge of the sink. Each day housekeeping would toss the used bars of soap, leave new, wrapped soap on the bathroom counter, but the soap residue on the sink from the used bar was still there. Same thing for the last day. Nothing major, I agree, but if they couldn't even clean the sink, what did they clean? There was also a Cherrios cereal piece on the floor beneath the bathroom vanity. It stayed there all three days of my visit. It was room 102, take a look, it may still be there. The mattresses were adequate but far from the nicest I've slept on, especially when one considers the price of the room.
Now for the compliments and the things that were done well: The check-in was quick and efficient, the front desk staff was friendly and personable, and the lobby was clean and comfortable.
The Friday and Saturday night buffets were very good. Great service, with a very nice selection of meats, side dishes and wonderful desserts. A very nice dining experience and I even had the opportunity to pass along my compliments to one of the chefs. They had some of the best clam chowder with their Seafood Buffet that I've ever had.
The grounds are lovely and the dining experience was great, but I do hope they will do something about their rooms and especially their housekeeping.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A huge resort destination that spans 2,500 acres with three 18-hole golf courses, 17 lighted tennis courts plus a variety of accommodations and dining experiences. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Tingo, Travelocity, BookingOdigeoWL, Despegar.com and Venere so you can book your Callaway Gardens Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Callaway Gardens Georgia
- Callaway Gardens Hotel Pine Mountain
- Callaway Gardens Pine Mountain
- Callaway Resort Pine Mountain