Originally I planned to overlook a recent experience as a fluke and not describe our experience here. However, I'm now finding this wasn't an isolated case: my hubby and I saw a special for a midweek stay and play package. We only live an hour away and have enjoyed the gardens many times but never to stay a night.
The "stay and play" came with a round of golf so planned out stay to check in the hotel after the golf date. (Golf was very enjoyable as it wasn't crowded on a Thursday.) Imagine our surprise to check in and find a room that had never been cleaned from the previous occupants! We had to drive out to a wing of the hotel so wasn't as easy as returning to the registration desk. I called and explained the situation fully expecting the desk staff to be a horrified as I was.... This didn't happen. She asked me "how I wanted to handle this." In my brain, this question came across sounding like "What did I want her to do about it?" I answered that I wanted to be moved to a clean room! To make a long story short, we ended up waiting 30 minutes for a cleaning crew to come and make the room appropriate for new occupants. When I asked about the error, the housekeepers admitted that "this was happening a lot lately."
The next morning as I checked out of the hotel, I asked to speak with the manager and described the situation. He didn't sound too shocked either. He offered to comp our breakfast, but we had already eaten. By the way, the breakfast buffet was very good with an omelet and waffle station, albeit a little pricey at over $30 with tip.
Since returning home, I have spoken with another acquaintance that experienced something very similar at the same hotel occurring the same weekend. So in summary, two major issues: 1)They have a process or compliance problem with cleaning the rooms and 2) They have a service recovery problem. The attitude wasn't what I would expect for a "never event" for the hotel industry.
Still, the stay and play package is a great value and Callaway Gardens is as close to the Garden of Eden you'll ever experience on earth. I would go back, but would go check out the room before carrying luggage to the room. Never again will I take for granted a clean room!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A huge resort destination that spans 2,500 acres with three 18-hole golf courses, 17 lighted tennis courts plus a variety of accommodations and dining experiences. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Tingo, Travelocity, BookingOdigeoWL, Despegar.com and Venere so you can book your Callaway Gardens Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Callaway Gardens Georgia
- Callaway Gardens Hotel Pine Mountain
- Callaway Gardens Pine Mountain
- Callaway Resort Pine Mountain