“A little shocked” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 5 hotels in Pine Mountain
Savannah
“A little shocked”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2011

Originally I planned to overlook a recent experience as a fluke and not describe our experience here. However, I'm now finding this wasn't an isolated case: my hubby and I saw a special for a midweek stay and play package. We only live an hour away and have enjoyed the gardens many times but never to stay a night.

The "stay and play" came with a round of golf so planned out stay to check in the hotel after the golf date. (Golf was very enjoyable as it wasn't crowded on a Thursday.) Imagine our surprise to check in and find a room that had never been cleaned from the previous occupants! We had to drive out to a wing of the hotel so wasn't as easy as returning to the registration desk. I called and explained the situation fully expecting the desk staff to be a horrified as I was.... This didn't happen. She asked me "how I wanted to handle this." In my brain, this question came across sounding like "What did I want her to do about it?" I answered that I wanted to be moved to a clean room! To make a long story short, we ended up waiting 30 minutes for a cleaning crew to come and make the room appropriate for new occupants. When I asked about the error, the housekeepers admitted that "this was happening a lot lately."

The next morning as I checked out of the hotel, I asked to speak with the manager and described the situation. He didn't sound too shocked either. He offered to comp our breakfast, but we had already eaten. By the way, the breakfast buffet was very good with an omelet and waffle station, albeit a little pricey at over $30 with tip.

Since returning home, I have spoken with another acquaintance that experienced something very similar at the same hotel occurring the same weekend. So in summary, two major issues: 1)They have a process or compliance problem with cleaning the rooms and 2) They have a service recovery problem. The attitude wasn't what I would expect for a "never event" for the hotel industry.

Still, the stay and play package is a great value and Callaway Gardens is as close to the Garden of Eden you'll ever experience on earth. I would go back, but would go check out the room before carrying luggage to the room. Never again will I take for granted a clean room!!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
CallawayGardens1, Public Relations Manager at Callaway Gardens Resort, responded to this review, June 1, 2011
Thank you very much for posting your experience during your recent visit to Callaway Gardens. The issues you encountered are not acceptable. Your comments already have been shared with our senior leadership team members who manage the areas mentioned. As we continue to focus of guest satisfaction, we are using feedback such as your's to teach our team members. We would like to invite you back to Callaway Gardens as our guest. Please send an email to info@callawaygardens.com to make arrangements. We appreciate your time and interest.

686 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2011

This is my third trip/stay at Callaway. This visit was the best so far. It started when I stopped by check in at 11:00 a.m. to ask a question. The girl at the desk said our 2-bedroom cottage was ready and gave me the keys! We were able to unload and have lunch in our cottage. Then a housekeeper stopped by to see if we needed anything. While at the cottage swimming pool (which is nice) there was a screeching sound from the cottage behind us. We called the front desk and they sent two guys out right away to work on it. We had no issues and had a nice time. The NEW Treetop Adventure is an awesome addition! The kids and adults both found it to be a fun challenge. We thought it was a good value as well.

Room Tip: A 2-bedroom Cottage so you can cook your own food
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
We are glad you had a great time! Please come back and visit.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2011 via mobile

Treetop adventure was excellent! Worth the time and money.

• Stayed May 2011
Great to hear you had the relaxing trip you needed. Please come back again.
Prattville, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2011

Me and my wife took some time for ourselves. At first didnt know where to go, but after looking at several locations online, we decided it was Callaway for us. We stayed in a Cottage, and I thnk it has spoiled us from staying in a regular Hotel or Inn. It was nice to have a kitchen that was equipped with all cooking and eating utensils. It was also nice having a living room, just hate it was not cool enough to build a fire in the fireplace. I highly recommend Callaway for any couple needing to get away for a few days. It is very relaxing to be able to hike through the outdoors and not be on a specific schedule for the day.

Room Tip: Cottages are the best, minutes from everything
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Greenville, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2011

This lovely garden provides the quiet and beauty of the woods, the enjoyment of really delicious food, the staff or genuinely nice people, and the spark of several interesting and educational activities. All in all a perfect amalgam.

Room Tip: We asked for best rate available
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Usa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2011

I traveled with my two young children for an overnight stay to Callaway Gardens in May. We stayed at the Mountain Creek Inn and had a great time. Our only regret was that we couldn't stay longer. The entire staff at the Inn, the dining facilities, the shops and attractions inside the gardens showed the highest level of "Southern Hospitality". Callaway Gardens is the perfect place for family biking with miles of paved paths. Just an overall fun place to visit. We'll certainly be back!

Room Tip: Request a garden view or pool view room.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Suwanee, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2011

Callaway Gardens is especially beautiful during Azalea season and Christmas as well as year round. It is affordable and fun for the whole family with many activities. We especially enjoyed the Birds of Prey show and the Butterfly Center. We highly recommend Callaway Gardens for a visit. Bring your own bikes (or rent them) and ride all over on the bike paths. You will feel like you are a million miles away from the city.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family

Been to Callaway Gardens Resort? Share your experiences!