“Good Cuban Sandwich, GREAT Plantains!” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #84 of 240 Restaurants in Norcross
Cuisines: American
Atlanta, Georgia
“Good Cuban Sandwich, GREAT Plantains!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2011

I ate lunch at the Johns Creek location yesterday on a take out basis. I ordered the Cuban Sandwich which the hostess told me I "would love". She asked if I wanted Fries or Plantains with my sandwich, which was a pleasant surprise. I got the Plantains of course!

After a wait of about 7-10 mins (normal), my sandwich arrived. During the wait, I had a chance to peruse the menu. They have daily lunch specials, the sandwich not being one of them. Oh well. My sammy was $9.50 or so, including tax, so a little pricey for a working girls' lunch but I thought I would half one day and half the next.

In reality, it did not make it back to the office. I ate half of it in the car. The hostess was right, it was delicious. The pork was tender and prevalent. The bread was light and crispy. I had expected a little "heavier" bread though the lightness of it, even though unexpected, turned out to be a good thing. It was not over "squished", like some Cuban Sandwiches I've had, nor was it over "cooked". It was warm through & through and my only complaint, if I had one, would be there was slightly too much mayo for my taste, but the flavors melded well and the pickle slice inside was perfect.

The plantains were to die for. I would go back for an order of just plantains! They were not overly cooked, not greasy and had just the right amount of sweetness. They weren't laden in sugar either which sometimes makes them just a gross mess. These were perfection and I gobbled all of them down too, along with my entire sandwich. So much for stretching out my lunch!

Palomina's has a flyer in the window that says they play live music on certain nights: Salsa, Merengue, Reggaeton, etc. though I did not see a dance floor, which would be a good addition for those of us who like to shake a leg to that kind of good Latin music.

Still, I'll definitely go back...if for nothing more than the Plantains!

• Visited August 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“Best Cuban restaurant outside of Miami.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

I invited friends, who were from Miami. They were skeptical as they normally can't get good Cuban food outside of Miami. But they were pleasantly surprised. Black beans, yucca, pork, everything was prepared with just the right spices and juices. It was great.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Atlanta, GA
“A bad experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2008

Another couple and my wife and I were there June 2008.Bill came to about $52.However they marked a charge of $30 additional on our credit card bills. When we asked to see our original bill, waitress grabbed our credit card bills and did not return for over 20 minutes. We never received an appology.We commented to the waitress usually restaurants offer deserts or discount the bill in such situations.A staffer did eventually bring an individual serving of flan for the entire table but no appology.