“1 Extra star for the Brunswick stew” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #68 of 162 Restaurants in Newnan
Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Description: Family-owned and operated since 1926, Sprayberry's Barbecue serves up slow-cooked barbecue and American favorites in Newnan, GA!
Bay Point, California
“1 Extra star for the Brunswick stew”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

It had been many years since I ate at Sprayberry's, until a quick trip through the area late last year. The place hasn't changed a bit inside, and still has that feel of history. You can almost sense the "ghosts" of all the regulars who ate here over the years and have passed on. The servers were all very sweet and helpful, with charming Georgia accents :-)

I've had alot of BBQ in many states since living in Newnan, and Sprayberry's certainly has their own style of pork BBQ, especially when you consider their sauce. The strong vinegar base is not going to be everyone's "cup of tea", but I sort of like it, in small doses.

The 'cue was cooked perfectly, however, and had that nice smokey flavor that's so hard to find in California. This is also one of those few places where they know what "outside chop" means. Their Brunswick stew is fantastic, and I actually like it better than their chopped pork, but this style of stew is going to be lost on many people who didn't grow up with it

Overall, a good place for BBQ and history, especially if you've never been here before. (3 star food, one star added for the brunswick stew)

Visited October 2012

Cartersville
“If you dig the pig, you won't like this slop!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

It's not worth a stop. The BBQ was served with this slimy sour sauce that totally overpowered the dry, flavorless meat. What a let down! My friend had babyback ribs...so so. The so called Brunswick stew looked like baby poop and I can't imagine it tasting much better. The locals must have low expectations to have put up with this crap for all these years! The FFs were good and the cole slaw not too bad. The iced tea was excellent!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
atlanta
“Good Ice Cream”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

I have never liked their BBQ. It just is not for me. The ice cream is hand dipped and quite tasty. This place is just not my cup of tea when it comes to bar b que.

Visited March 2013
Atlanta
“HORRIBLE!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

This is truly the WORST BBQ I've ever tasted. I ordered the Lewis Grizzard: a pulled pork sandwich, Brunswick stew, and onion rings. The stew had a disgusting consistency; very much like baby food. The onion rings were gummy and completely undercooked. As for the pork, it was dry and so tasteless that no amount of sauce could save it. I literally ate a bite or two, paid my bill, and drove straight to the McDonalds drive through. This was the second time I've been there, the first with my family. I remember on that occasion we brought the food home, ate a few bites, and ended up cooking a frozen pizza instead.

• 1 of 5 stars Food
Roswell, Georgia
“Just plain great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

My kids and I stopped here on a long ride home from the beach. Traffic was bad, so we decided to pull off the highway and eat. I hadn't been to Sprayberry's in many years. We gave it a try. Now my kids want to make the 60 mile drive every weekend! The slice pork sandwich was perfect. The Brunswick stew, divine. The onion rings greasy goodness but must be shared. Too much for one. My son loved the chopped chicken sandwich and my daughter, who doesn't like barbecue, said the burger was the best she'd ever eaten in her life. She is only 10, so it's not a long life! We tried the fried apple and peach pies, both were delicious. Not greasy and not too sweet like many are. We'll be back often. For the record, sweet tea goes with barbecue and Sprayberry's is so good.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere