“Fabulous festive fun with friends” 5 of 5 stars

Aghadoe Heights Hotel & Spa
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Lakes of Killarney, Aghadoe, Killarney 6507, Ireland   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Aghadoe
Dublin, Ireland
“Fabulous festive fun with friends”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

Had a fantastic time in aghadoe with a gang of girls last weekend. Total luxury all the way. Fabulous rooms, food, spa, but the best by far is the warm welcome and outstanding service from all the wonderful staff. Have stayed there on numerous occasions - can't wait to go back

Room Tip: Ask for one of the newly decorated rooms. Junior suites are lovely.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

Stayed here for an xmas party night on Saturday night.All staff were excellant very attentive. The hotel itself was great the views from our room were amazing.Would highly recommend this hotel didnt get to use the spa but i will next time..

Room Tip: Look for a lake view
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

Stayed here more than a year ago....sorry for delay in reviewing....with three of my best girl pals. I had never stayed in this hotel prior to this but always wanted to book in. I had a totally different picture of it in my head. I felt it was going to be an older type interior which I love with antique furniture and definitely fabulous pool. I found the hotel to be quiet modern which was a shock to be honest. I particularly found the bar area to be bit almost bare in its furnishings. No wow for me and felt same with the reception area and in fact the unassuming cold entrance frontage. Why have the entrance at the side when the view out front is fantastic? Our rooms were okay ...two twins..but nothing to write home about either. I have to say I was shocked when I saw the pool. Again I expected luxury but to me it looked like a 70s conservatory with small pool in it and ugh plastic loungers and not enough of them. The four of us didn't even have one each. Acutally I had quick swim but there was no bit of luxury to make me want to sit and relax..I just wanted to leave the area. We booked a meal in the hotel restaurant and food was excellent. I felt the atmosphere at breakfast was dull and food wasn't inspiring...room was quiet dark. We were checking out on a Sunday and by 3pm having paid up and just sitting by the fire waiting for one of my pals husbands to arrive with their children to pick her up suddenly the gas fire went out........then the overhead ligths started to go out. We discovered the hotel was only opened for weekends at that particular time of year and we were being nudged to get moving to main door as it was about to be closed.

I am not writing what might seem like a negative report for the fun of it.........I have reviewed numerous of other hotels etc etc but this is the truth as I found this hotel at that time. I do not want to stop people going or damage hotel or jobs etc but I have to say honestly it was not at all the magical spot I believed it would be from the blurb on newspapers or what I had heard about it. My pals who knew this hotel are from Kerry told me it had been that older building with antiques that I imagined it would be but it had been upgraded and changed shortly before and they also felt it had lost its uniqueness somewhat.

I have to say going on the pool area alone and the size of the pool that would be one thing that would not entice me back and I havn't been back since. I sincerely hope this has changed but when I looked at website recently it does not look as if it has and acutally I could not get a full photo up on site of the poor area.

Room Tip: I was not blown away with our twin room on first floor so no I cannot make any recommendations ref b...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013 via mobile

A beautiful hotel . Totally relaxing . Lovely piano music in the bar . A bit sad & lonely at breakfast Monday morning in a reduced size room as the hotel closes mid week but got great treatment by their really nice staff . The room could do with a little more back ground music so we can't hear other conversations . Could have stayed all week but will be back.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Great Falls, VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

In a room facing the lake, the view is spectacular. Beyond that, this hotel is the equivalent any nondescript hotel. The service is friendly, but poor. The food is OK. The location is peculiar. It's a bit away from the town and the lake in a rural area. It's not convenient for enjoying the town, walking, or hiking.

Room Tip: Face the lake.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Cork
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

The staff at the Aghadoe are fantastic. They, more than anything, are what make this a 5 star hotel. We found that the almost exclusively local staff could not do enough to make us feel welcome and at home. The room was fantastic and the food was excellent and good value for money. I became addicted to their brown bread with walnuts. One small point - we paid for a lake view room which was superb - huge with a fabulous bed, bathroom etc but we got a ground floor room and the view was not worth paying extra for. I should have said something before we settled in, I have no doubt they would have moved us but we were too tired when we arrived. I look forward to returning here.

Room Tip: If you want a lake view don't stay on the ground floor
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Cork, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

Stayed here in Nov '13 in a lakeview room - complimentary upgrade from the hotel.

The views are extraordinary and the bar and restaurant overlook the lakes as well which is great.

Food: fantastic - we had barfood on the night and it was really good value. Plenty of choice too. We ordered a shared platter and it wasn't quite as described on the menu (some things missing, some things additional) but tasty nonetheless.
Breakfast was OK. the fried breakfast did not look nice - like it had been pre-cooked and resting for far too long. the healthy options were lovely though

Room: lovely room and very comfie bed. the bathroom is very nice too with a lovely roll top bath and nice toiletries. we didn't have any patio furniture on our balcony which is disappointing as some of teh other rooms next to us did.
the door out to the balcony doesn't stay open - that was pretty annoying as it would have been nice to leave it open overnight.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Aghadoe Heights Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!