“Surrounded by abandoned buildings, stains on bedding” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #9 of 20 Hotels in McDonough
Gainesville, Florida
“Surrounded by abandoned buildings, stains on bedding”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

I did my research before booking this hotel. I felt safe booking this hotel given the many positive reviews. I cannot believe that no one mentioned that this hotel is surrounded by an abandoned gas station, plaza, and low end motel. It did not feel like a safe area. When we went to check in, there was a woman asking if she needed to sign in to attend swimming classes at the hotel pool. The receptionist waived her off and said there was no need. As in, we don't care or keep track of who wanders around our hotel. This added to my concern over the location and the surroundings.

We checked in and proceeded to our room. We began unpacking and noticed there was a large reddish orange stain on the bedding. I asked the front desk if they could change the bedding (this was at about 5p.m. only about 5 minutes after we checked in). They said their housekeeping went home and that was not possible. My husband and I decided this on top of all of the other concerns mentioned above, this was the last straw. The receptionist (his name tag said "concierge") didn't seem concerned when I brought up the reasons we did not feel comfortable staying at the hotel. I had booked it for three nights. Although we had only been at the hotel for a total of about 15 minutes he refused to refund me all three nights and said we would have to pay for the first.

We ended up staying at the Hilton Garden Inn Kennesaw, which I would very highly recommend. I am very surprised that this hotel had as many positive reviews as it did. I would strongly suggest doing a Google Maps walking tour of the area to see if you would feel comfortable staying in this area.

Room Tip: Try the Hilton Garden Inn in Kennesaw.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
St. Petersburg, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

We stayed for nearly a week, meeting for a family reunion. It was a good location and the beds were comfortable; however, the staff were rude. As well, they host a swim school daily until 8pm, despite the fact that signage indicates pool is for registered guests only. We could not relax in the pool except between 8pm-10pm, a little late for our little ones. There were several stray cats on the property, including dead kittens, which was a little disturbing. Security cameras were visible, but duct tape was covering the lenses. Interesting to see..... I will not be staying at this hotel again and would not recommend it.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Chattanooga, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014 via mobile

This was our second stay once in March an now July on our way to Florida..location is right off interstate very convenient and didnt notice any noise...so quiet an cozy. Nice hot shower an beds so comfortable. I highly recommend whether one night or longer! Wish the pool was open later!

• Stayed July 2014
Savannah, GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

I stayed at this hotel recently while on my way to an Atlanta meeting, and will do so in the future. The room was spotlessly clean and nicely decorated. Breakfast was basic but did the trick. It's a very short drive from here to Atlanta and you can't get a room there at this quality for anywhere near this price. Highly recommended for business travelers getting around by car.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Naples, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2014

We were south of Atlanta which was our goal and wanted a safe and quiet place to sleep. Lots of restaurants in this area and easy on and off of I75. Good hot breakfast at 6 which helped us get on our way to Florida early.

Room Tip: Even though close to 75 it was quiet. We were on 3rd floor. Would us again
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

Stayed here for an event at the Speedway. The hotel was in close proximity and there were many restaurants nearby.
The staff was very friendly as well as accommodating to our extremely late check in. The parking lot was overly crowded, and there were no empty spaces, this due only to the event at the speedway. Otherwise, it looks as though parking would be sufficient.
The breakfast was good, and was always well stocked even with the high demand.
Rooms were clean and well kept.
Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Clarkston, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

Hotel employees were all polite and helpful on local places to eat and shop. Our room was a king bed room and was clean and spacious. We enjoyed a quiet nights sleep even though we were next to I-75. The breakfast was nice with eggs, sausage, waffles and the usual cereals and pastries. This was a great place to stay being so convenient to the freeway.

I do object to a "safe fee " of $1.50 being tacked on to our bill. Come on, if you want to raise the rate $1.50 then do so and do not try to sneak in a fee for a safe that we did not and would not ever use.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Comfort Suites McDonough? Share your experiences!