“Not Up To The Hampton Brand” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Now, Save Up To 15%
Ranked #10 of 20 hotels in McDonough
Chestertown, Maryland
“Not Up To The Hampton Brand”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

We stayed at this Hampton Inn only one night as it was on our route home from Florida. The hotel was busy with many similar travellers who were headed either north or south along the same Interstate. This is NOT a business traveler's Hampton and it showed.

Let me start by saying that I have traveled extensively for business and Hampton Inns were always my first choice because the quality was consistant across the brand and I knew what to expect; this Hampton was the exception but not because of the staff. The building is older and the only Hampton I ever visited that had all units opening to the outside. That in itself is not a bad thing, just not what I expected from the brand. The biggest issue (and the man reason I will not visit this Hampton in the future) was with the noise between the rooms. Most troubling was that the vent in the bathroom was directly connected to the neighboring bathroom so we could hear everything that was said or "done" in that bathroom; I can only assume our neighbor had the similar experience... not pleasant or comforting. Also, as we were on the first floor we had a lot of noise from the room above.

The staff was as expected from the Hampton brand; pleasant, helpful and interested in our needs.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel; there are several other choices at this location.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

106 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Knoxville, Tennessee
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

Wonderful staff has to deal with a terrible property. Key card worked poorly. Took about 7 attempts before the door finally flashed green. Had to get tape from the front desk to glue the TV remote signal receiver to the TV. If rooms face the parking lot then make sure those old curtains are hung properly in order to keep the light out. Furniture was old and probably left over from before Hampton acquired it. I called ahead for a reservation because of the Hampton Inn brand and was very disappointed.

Room Tip: Go someplace else.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
ATLMD, General Manager at Hampton Inn McDonough, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us at our hotel. We really appreciate your feedback and are very sorry that our property did not meet your needs. We will take your comments under consideration as we work to improve our guest experience. We hope you will come visit us in the future.
Windham, NH
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

Staff was fine...room was clean...BUT very old motel, old furniture, not a good smelling room...obviously not up to the standard I expected. Please get rid of this motel, and sell it to Motel 6 or another run down chain. I will be much more careful looking at descriptions of the setup, like...outdoor access to second floor. Shame on you Hampton Inns!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
ATLMD, General Manager at Hampton Inn McDonough, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us at our hotel. We really appreciate your feedback and are very sorry that our property did not meet your needs. We will take your comments under consideration as we work to improve our guest experience. We hope you will come visit us in the future at our hotel and we again apologize for any inconvenience.
Seattle, WA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Even a wonderful, friendly and helpful staff cannot help this Hampton-branded property. As a Hilton Diamond member, I cannot recall ever staying at a sadder Hilton-family location. Frankly, it reminded me of a few bad motels some twenty years ago. All the rooms open directly to the parking area outside. You'll need to brave whatever elements during your stay to access the Lobby or to avail yourself of the breakfast. There are no internal hallways. The room was sorely in need of renovation. Cleaning in the corners of carpet and along edges would be helpful and removing the black in caulking around tub/shower would appear more healthy. The heating/air unit made so much noise that I finally shut it off entirely...even with the freezing temperatures outside. The housekeeping carts rolling along the walkways outside the rooms and on the floor above sounded like trains rumbling down tracks next to the motel. And the construction sounds and pounding on wall in some adjoining room in the morning did not make for a pleasant wake-up call :-) The breakfast was typical for a Hampton Inn, but the hot foods were only slightly warm at best. All the staff with whom I came in contact were wonderful. It's too bad they're wasted on this sad excuse for a Hampton Inn property.

Room Tip: Consider staying at a different hotel property.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Clearwater, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

Our room was noisy shabby and dirty. An attempt to update the rooms was done badly. The bathtub had been recoated with something, it had chipped and there was black around the edges of the tub. Our room was just nex tot he beverage and ice machines. We were awakened at 4:30 a.m. by the sound of someone emptying the ice machine. I don't know what he was filling but the noise went on until 5 a.m. We gave up trying to sleep and got up to have the HOT Breakfast. It was made up of waffles and toast (make your own of course) if this was a hot breakfast then I guess we had it. This is the worst experience I have had at a Hampton Inn. Why am I a HIltons Honours member?
Allof the above info. has been passed on to the Hampton Inn.

Room Tip: Don't stay in room 129.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
ATLMD, General Manager at Hampton Inn McDonough, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
First of all, thank you for your review of your past stay at our hotel. We always appreciate hearing from our guests - including when comments help identify ways we can improve. I wanted to take this opportunity to apologize in regards to the noise you encountered during your stay. I totally regret that the noise from our ice machine was disruptive to you and apologize that you're comfort was interrupted. In addition, I sincerely apologize if you found your room to be dirty. I have personally spoken to our housekeeping staff in regards to your comments and assure you that we have thoroughly cleaned your room.

Again, I do apologize for any inconveniences you may have had and I hope the next time you return to the area you consider staying with us again.
Fort Myers Beach, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

We stay at Hampton often and some are better than others. We have stayed at this property every year on a trip South. This hotel has now deteriorated to the point that this will be our last stay here. The room was old, worn, and stained. The heater/air conditioning unit is old, smelly and noisy. In addition, the clerk refused to honor my reservation code saying she could give us a room but it would cost more. She claimed my reservation was for two weeks later. When I showed her the reservation that I had saved on my ipad with the date we were there, she reduced our room charge to the original. However, she was more interested in showing me her computer with the incorrect date than in apologizing and helping me to be sure I would not be charged for a later date. She did suggest we call the 800 number and report it to them ourselves, which we did.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
ATLMD, General Manager at Hampton Inn McDonough, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
I really appreicate your taking the time to share your disappointment with your recent stay. I want to personally apologize that the room nor the actions of my front desk agent were of the high standards we expect. You can be certain that I will be following up with my staff. I understand you are a return guest and do hope we are given another opportunity to demonstrate our commitment to your comfort.
Cherokee, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

I try to stay at Hamptons because of their reputation for cleanliness. This property was up to the chain's standards. It is an older property with no central hall, which was a security concern. The breakfast was what you expect at any Hampton. The best part for me was the later (noon) check out and the friendliness of the staff. They seemed to go out of their way to give a smile and be helpful. I was not rushed to get out of the room so it could be cleaned. I did not see or experience any of the maintenance issues noted in the other reviews. I got a chuckle in the fitness room when I saw a weight bench but no weights. For a roadside overnight stop this was more than satisfactory.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Been to Hampton Inn McDonough? Share your experiences!