“Avoid Hemingway's” 1 of 5 stars

Dining options: Late Night
dallas, georgia
“Avoid Hemingway's”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

We ate at Hemingway's this afternoon and one of the first things I did when I got home was write a review because it was so bad. Bottom line....avoid this place. There are plenty of other great restaurants on the Marietta Square including the Marietta Pizza Company and Johnny McCrackens. Let me just list some of the things that annoyed me....

1. You seat yourself...not a problem, however, it took seven minutes before a server greeted us.
2. The problem with number one...there were only two othe couples in the restaurant on a Saturday afternoon...this should have been our first clue.
3. I asked the server if they had any drink specials to which she sheepishly replied "Um...we never have any drink specials."
4. My souse ordered the grouper sandwich. The waitress says "We are out of Grouper."
5. We both ordered water with lemon.....they CHARGE YOU FOR "TAP WATER." (.25)
6. I ordered the soup and salad...the waitress said "Oh...you have to purchase a beverage to get it at that price and water is not included." I AM beyond annoyed at this point...
7. Our entrees come out and my clam chowder is cold. So, I sent it back to be re-heated and then began second guessing if I should have done that or not. Mind you, I was nice about it but I still wondered if I should have sent if back if you get what I mean. So, a few minutes pass and it comes back and it is now hot.
8. My spouse got the cuban sandwich after they told us they were out of grouper. Well...it came out and was just that...a sandwich. No side or nothing.
9. The table behind us ordered the same thing and I overheard the waitress ask the lady if she would like fries with her sandwich and she said "yes, that will be fine." They got their Cuban WITH fries. I asked our waitress if the Cuban came with fries and she said "Oh no sides are extra."
10. Did I mention everything in this place is served on styrofoam plates and cups with plastic silverware?????

BOTTOM LINE: Don't eat here. Don't waste your hard earned money. The cuban without fries was $7.95. Cold soup and salad $8. Tap water .50 cents. Hemingways should be featured on "Bar Rescue" and I don't know how this place stays in business. Nor in any way is this place "tropical." We will NOT GO BACK.

• Visited April 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Fulltime RV
“Overpriced Mediocre Food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

Sat outside on a sunny day for some drinks and appetizers. Had 1 vodka tonic, one beer and a coconut shrimp appetizer. Drink was small, shrimp were average and bill was $22 without tip. Never again!

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Chattanooga, Tennessee
“Not very tropical”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Indoor and outdoor seating. Have to be at least 18 to be seated indoor. Smoking is permitted inside so keep that in mind. Great music playing on sound system. Awesome burger and chicken strips. The chocolate brownie with vanilla bean ice cream for dessert was the best part. Not sure why it is called Hemingway's Tropical Bar, there wasn't really anything tropical about it. Just like any other pub, but would highly recommend to anyone visiting Marietta.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Needs a bar rescue!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

Stopped in on St. Patty's Day and what an unfortunate experience. No one greets you at the door, so you just sit wherever. We had a large party and started moving a couple tables, but one of our guests remembered being yelled at previously for moving tables. Waited for someone to help us and took forever. Ordered drinks again took forever, plus arrived in the plastic and Styrofoam. We didn't stay for lunch (no Irish fare either) so can't comment on the food. Overall an unpleasant experience.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Marietta, Georgia
“Outdoor dining”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

I love to be outdoors during summer evenings and I love to be able to bring my dogs with me even more. Also a nice stop after the Marietta Ghost Tour.

Visited October 2012