“BIG Portions” 4 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #12 of 621 Restaurants in Marietta
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Good for: Large groups, Entertaining clients, Bar scene, Families with children, Special occasions
maryland
“BIG Portions”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

If you go on a Sunday, I recommend getting there around 1:30p as the parking lot can fill up pretty quickly. I got there about that time, but when I left (3:45ish), I noticed a lot of people circling the lot. I've never tried alligator so decided that this would be the place to have a taste. It was very good. Seasoned well and the dipping sauce was delicious. Someone suggested that I get the side dish of dirty rice. Let me just say that the rice was excellent, but I had no idea how HUGE the sides were. Three people could've easily eaten it. I took the rice to go and had it the following evening (it reheated and tasted just as good) and I still could not finish it. I had an entree. It was grouper stuffed with crabmeat, cheese andouille sausage grits and spinach smothered in a lemon butter sauce. It had a good taste to it. The cheese & andouille sausage grits were AMAZING and added to the dish well. The grouper was well seasoned and the crab meat was an added extra. Since it was just me dining, I sat at the bar. The bar keeps were friendly and even let me sample an oyster on the half shell. I've never had raw oysters, nor had the inclination to try them. But I did try them here. They are shucked fresh right at the bar and I must say it was pretty good. I probably won't have oysters again anytime soon, but it was good. Not sandy and it didn't have a "pond" taste to it. Very good. When and if I return to Atlanta, this will be on my to do list again. It's only about 7 miles from downtown Atlanta, if that. This was one of the highlights of my vacation.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Rockaway Beach, Oregon
“It's so good, it was our"go to"spot for happy hour, and that's when you need to go.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

The menu is really a bit expensive, except for happy hour specials, which are truly special. The shrimp boil, calamari, alligator, orange shrimp and a few more are enough to fill up anybody and are really delicious. Served only in the bar. Occasionally they have dinner specials, like the crawdad bowl for around $10.00, but most dinner entrees are in the $20-$30 dollar range opposed to the 4-6 buck happy hour deals. It gets very busy after 6pm. We got out of there every time for about $40.00 for the 2 of us including our drinks.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Acworth, Georgia
“Ate here for lunch, good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

Ate at Pappadeaux with my parents, brother and husband for lunch. We were pleasantly surprised. Started with 2 dozen raw oysters and the lobster, shrimp & pork egg rolls. The egg rolls were quite good with decent sized bites of lobster in them (only negative, they were a little greasy). The oysters were chilled and fresh. My husband and I both had po boys (oyster and shrimp) and thought they were delicious. My husband has been to New Orleans several times and had true po boys. Said the po boy at Pappadeaux was very good in comparison.
The only complaint we had was the service was on the slow side. We were often left waiting for one thing or another. It was an early weekend lunch with no more than 10 tables in the entire restaurant. I saw several servers on the floor, so it wouldn't appear to be because they were shorthanded.

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Woodstock, Georgia
“Have not been in about 14 years and might wait that long to go back.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Last time I was at Papadeaux was in 1998 I might wait til 2027 to go back. The food was pretty skimpy for lunch (as in a piece of fish the size of a deck of cards with 1/2 the height) and I had to flag down our server to get a drink refill. He also promised to bring out bread and well it never came. The cheesecake dessert (was there for a birthday) was so sweet I had 1/6th of it and gave the rest away to others at the table.

Visited February 2013
The World
“The appetiser saved the meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013 via mobile

I visited Pappadeaux after years of planning and never making it. I was quite excited to finally done here and had already decided what I wanted before I got to the restaurant. Seating was prompt and the server arrived not long after. I got some liquor, something strong but I can't remember the name. I got the New Orleans Campechena and the Blackened Costa Rican Mahi. My drink was delicious and when my Campechana came out I knew I would love it as it had shrimp and avocados and onions and tomatoes = deliciousness! I had to pace myself not to inhale it as I still had Mahi coming out. When it did, I was sorely disappointed. It was heavily under seasoned for a Blackened item and did not taste good at all. I was extremely happy I had gotten the Campechana for had I had to eat the Mahi alone I would have been very upset. I normally don't get dessert but Pappadeaux cheesecakes are legendary and I had to have one of their monsters. This was delicious as well! All in all, I had a nice time. I will not be trying the Mahi or any fish ever again as I believer I have found a winner in the New Orleans Campechana!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere