“Good beer selection; good food; OK service; Smoke-filled” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #229 of 621 Restaurants in Marietta
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Marietta, Georgia
“Good beer selection; good food; OK service; Smoke-filled”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

I like Johnnie Mac's. It's one of my favorite bars in Marietta, mostly because of the beer selection and pub atmosphere. Plus, it's a good value. The one BIG drawback, and the main reason I don't go more often, and the reason I don't invite more guests, is the smoking. FOR GOD'S SAKE, BAN THE SMOKING! They don't even allow smoking inside pubs in Ireland anymore.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Atlanta, Georgia
“Wouldn't waste my time unless you're already drunk”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

Old building, cramped seating, and sparse servers. Kind of dirty and full of old kitschy stuff, food standard bar fare and still allows smoking. . I wouldn't go in with kids or with a date. If you want to drink late night after tipping back a few, OK. Other than that, not worth seeking out.

• 2 of 5 stars Food
Marietta, Georgia
“Worst lunch in Marietta”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

We work on the Marietta square and frequent the various restaurants daily. We had never been to Johnnie McCrackens. We also had never experienced the worst lunch in town; and now we have. This place is supposedly famous for its corned beef, and makes much publicity of a visit by Food Network's Alton Brown. So I ordered a corned beef sandwich. My wife ordered the "Georgia Moonshine" - a sliced prime rib sandwich with irish cheddar and tomatoes. Why it is named that, heaven knows. My sandwich arrived and was 1/8" thick. When I peeled open the sandwich, you could see the bread. There was literally one scraggly piece of corned beef that didn't cover more than 2/3 of the slice of bread. It had good flavor, what little there was of it. My wife bit into her sandwich and began to make a very awful face. See, my wife can't eat spicy things, and nothing on the menu indicated that any such thing was on the sandwich. The wait person happened by about this time and asked if everything was ok. She told my wife that there was horseradish sauce on her sandwich. When I showed her my corned beef and asked if that was the usual amount they put on a sandwich, she said "not really" and said she would bring it to someone's attention. I took a bite of my wife's sandwich, since she couldn't eat it. It wasn't really a horseradish taste - it was just plain nasty, like industrial cleaner taste. No one came to see us about the issues, but instead, we were just brought the bill in full. Food "F", atmosphere "F", just gross.

• Visited January 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Marietta, Georgia, United States
“I will never go there again.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

My friend and I went there for Halloween. It took the waitress about 20 minutes to take our orders and the place was not packed at all. When our orders arrived, my friend's was completely wrong and when she complained the waitress told her well I placed the order correctly and I can change it if you want me to. Secondly, it took forever for her to come and check on us and only when some guys came over and hung out with us did we actually get some constant service. Also, when one of the guys ordered a drink from her she said well do you want to open another tab with me because your tab is at the bar and I'll be serving and cleaning up after you and I won't be getting the tip if your tab is at the bar. When I left her a below standard tip for her below standard service she came over to me and started questioning me about why I left her so little. I told her that her service was terrible and she kept arguing with me because she wanted more money. Needless to say I did not give her anymore than what I left.

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Marietta, Georgia
“Best Irish Pub Anywhere!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

We go to Johnnie MacCracken's every chance we get. It has a relaxed atmosphere with the best food and a great selection of beers and ale.
The owner strives to give an authentic irish feel to the decor and on Friday nights he has an Irish Buffet with corn beef & cabbage, shepherds pie, bangers & mash...I could go on, but I'm making myself hungry. I think I'll go now!

Visited August 2012